What would you do if your child told you

It depends how old you are...

My parents would have said, I'm glad you're happy...

• Thanks
Reactions: del
1. Be a little bit surprised and shocked.

2. Love them anyway--they're always gonna be my child.

3. Get to know the person they love and try to make them part of our family.

Life throws some serious lemons at you---best to make lemonade. I've recently learned this the hard way. :D

Given that You have All the Love for them that You can Possess, Reminding Them of that, I'd want to talk it out. I would hope that it was a phase, and feel Totally Justified in that, as a matter of Faith. I would not undermine any relationship. I would respect the choice, and cope with it. Bottom line 50 years later, Anyone that knows Happiness in Life, and has Someone to share it with, has accomplished much. There are things between Each of Us and Our Maker that are Personal, Taking responsibility for the Choices We make in Life Knowingly, is part of that Life, for Better or Worse.

It really isn't a big deal, only if you let it be. I joke a lot but in all seriousness it would be like talking about the weather.

thanks for the clarification.

When my cousin 'announced' he was 'gay' (we all knew anyway), his dad said 'as long as your not a Democrat'. LOL.

gotta have standards.

We're a tolerant family but we have to have a line somewhere. LOL.

Actually, there are a couple of liberals in the family but we don't talk to them. :eek:

*Disclaimer: the above statement is for comedic purposes only and does not represent the views of the family of California Girl.*

First, I hope both of my children feel comfortable and secure enough in OUR relationship to approach me with such a situation. I would hate to have either hide the truth from me because they were scared.

Okay sure, it may come as a shock to me and yes I would be disappointed. Manly because I'm all for the idea of a woman and man marrying, and creating grandchildren for me. ( long way off )

I want to say it wouldn't matter. It is my child and with that child comes unconditional love. I think I would do my best to make this 'partner' comfortable with our family and pray that my child remains happy with the decisions he has made.

As parents it is our job to teach and guide our children into becoming well-rounded individuals who can take care of themselves out in the big bad world. There comes a point when we need to let go and allow them to make decisions for themselves.

When it all boils down, it really doesn't matter. Love and trust, guidance and support is what matters.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I'd hug 'em, I'd tell 'em I loved them, I'd listen to them, I'd hug 'em, I'd tell 'em I loved them, we'd talk. And in the end if they were happy I'd be happy for them and they'd be accepted and loved. . . . always.

I'm pretty sure I'd know well before they TOLD me. We knew this dude was gay all the way through early on in grade school, and he always denied it. Always hung with all the hotties, had that lisp and the typical gay body language, but never dated those hotties.

Now he's not only 'out', but he produces dance theater as his job. Kind of a 'gay' type of job when you really get right down to it :lol:

Anyway, being that I have one son and don't plan on having anymore children, I would initially be upset. I can't lie. My last name lives on through only him or my little cousin. It would be weird not to have the regular kid/dad talks about girls and all.

Love me or hate me for this, I don't care...but I don't agree with homosexuality. To me, something just isn't right about it. It's not what nature intended. We're intended to pro-create. Being gay is the antithesis of nature.

Given that You have All the Love for them that You can Possess, Reminding Them of that, I'd want to talk it out. I would hope that it was a phase, and feel Totally Justified in that, as a matter of Faith. I would not undermine any relationship. I would respect the choice, and cope with it. Bottom line 50 years later, Anyone that knows Happiness in Life, and has Someone to share it with, has accomplished much. There are things between Each of Us and Our Maker that are Personal, Taking responsibility for the Choices We make in Life Knowingly, is part of that Life, for Better or Worse.

It's just a phase.............:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back