What Would You Do? (China)

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
We have all seen the news articles about China flexing its military muscle in the South China Sea. They have built several islands in an attempt to advance their national borders. They have put military weapons on those islands, and one is slated for a nuclear reactor.

In addition, they recently sailed their aircraft carrier thru the Taiwan Strait, impinging on Taiwan's national border (though, they don't recognize Taiwan - one of our staunchest supporters in the area).

We know that China has continually hacked our cybersystems, and stolen information from government and corporation databases.

We also know that they have consistently disregarded national and international copyright and intellectual property laws in order to create knock-offs that undercut our economy. They have also been accused of currency manipulation.

So - what would you do? Send them a strongly worded letter? Deliver it in a bomb? Install tariffs on all products made in China? Restrict US trade? Turn Beijing into a parking lot?

We have all seen the news articles about China flexing its military muscle in the South China Sea. They have built several islands in an attempt to advance their national borders. They have put military weapons on those islands, and one is slated for a nuclear reactor.

In addition, they recently sailed their aircraft carrier thru the Taiwan Strait, impinging on Taiwan's national border (though, they don't recognize Taiwan - one of our staunchest supporters in the area).

We know that China has continually hacked our cybersystems, and stolen information from government and corporation databases.

We also know that they have consistently disregarded national and international copyright and intellectual property laws in order to create knock-offs that undercut our economy. They have also been accused of currency manipulation.

So - what would you do? Send them a strongly worded letter? Deliver it in a bomb? Install tariffs on all products made in China? Restrict US trade? Turn Beijing into a parking lot?

Raise a tariff high enough to undo their undercutting of our economy and demand that they respect other nations in the area....I'd park 3 aircraft carriers off Taiwan if need be to enforce it.

Last edited:

You've come to the wrong place for an intelligent answer.

Most of the alt-righties and Trumpers on this board couldn't find South China Sea on a globe.

As far as I am concerned if they want to build islands to put their peeps on so what. How they provide power and protect those people is also largely not our business. Sounds like a Taiwanese problem to me honestly, why is it in US interest to protect them, or Japan?

Sanctions didn't work for hacking so the only weapon we have is a good defense.

On international copyrights I think that the most we can really do is ask them to cooperate, if they're not willing there's pretty much nothing we can do to stop them. I think the bigger argument here is do American's have the right to buy knock-offs? I think they kind of do. It doesn't hurt our economy at all, the people who buy the cheap knock-offs save money - it hurts the businesses, not our governments problem really, something they need to account for/adjust prices for.

Renegotiating the trade deals which will most likely include import tariffs should resolve that.

Last edited:
Nations that possess nuclear weapons, don't get bombed. This is why we can't let any more countries make them.

If you really want to hurt China, have the US and it's allies stop buying products made in China. Ban Chinese products. The problem is we would suffer too, but not as much as they would.

President Trump will do what needs to be done. Rebuild the Navy for one. Stop making Victim class ships only fit to run away.

U.S. Navy blockade ports on West coast and tells Chinese merchant ships to take their shit and go home.

You've come to the wrong place for an intelligent answer.

Most of the alt-righties and Trumpers on this board couldn't find South China Sea on a globe.

Thank you for an amateurish attempt to deflect the conversation. If you have nothing to contribute to the conversation, then please don't.

As far as I am concerned if they want to build islands to put their peeps on so what. How they provide power and protect those people is also largely not our business. Sounds like a Taiwanese problem to me honestly, why is it in US interest to protect them, or Japan?

Sanctions didn't work for hacking so the only weapon we have is a good defense.

On international copyrights I think that the most we can really do is ask them to cooperate, if they're not willing there's pretty much nothing we can do to stop them. I think the bigger argument here is do American's have the right to buy knock-offs? I think they kind of do. It doesn't hurt our economy at all, the people who buy the cheap knock-offs save money - it hurts the businesses, not our governments problem really, something they need to account for/adjust prices for.

Renegotiating the trade deals which will most likely include import tariffs should resolve that.

Just to clarify ..... the islands are further south of Taiwan. In fact, the Philippines is complaining that the islands have violated their national sovereignty (sea space).

See what happens when you have 8 years of a weak community organizer as president..?

Don't worry kiddies that aircraft carrier is a antique ski jump piece of crap.

I would tell China things are going to change. They will have to live with it.

Outright military options are limited. Even though we have a superior military the distance to the TO causes all kinds of problems for the US. If conflict occurs the shorter lines of operation for the Chinese offsets our technological superiority. Economic warfare also inflicts damage on the US economy. Espionage and sabotage through various mediums is the area that we can respond favorably.

Forum List

Back