What woudl Martin Luther King think of Edward Snowden?

What woudl Martin Luther King think of Edward Snowden?

Snowden is no MLK, the comparison is ignorant idiocy.

Dr. King fought against laws and policies already determined to be illegal and un-Constitutional by the courts; where states and local jurisdictions were in open rebellion against the Constitution and Federal courts.

That in no way relates to Snowden’s alleged criminal acts, where the surveillance programs are both legal and Constitutional.

Snowden deserves to be kept in a very small cell for a very long time. I think Dr. King would think the same way. Plain and simple, Snowden is a traitor; anyone who thinks he is a hero doesn't know the definition of the word.

Yes, King would love for us all to be spied on, treated like animals, vassals and serfs to the State.

Bump time

First I rejected their materialistic interpretation of history. Communism, avowedly secularistic and materialistic, has no place for God. This I could never accept, for as a Christian I believe that there is a creative personal power in this universe who is the ground and essence of all reality“—”a power that cannot be explained in materialistic terms. History is ultimately guided by spirit, not matter.

Second, I strongly disagreed with communism’s ethical relativism. Since for the Communist there is no divine government, no absolute moral order, there are no fixed, immutable principles; consequently almost anything-force, violence, murder, lying-is a justifiable means to the “millennial” end. This type of relativism was abhorrent to me. Constructive ends can never give absolute moral justification to destructive means, because in the final analysis the end is preexistent in the mean.

Third, I opposed communism’s political totalitarianism. In communism the individual ends up in subjection to the state. True, the Marxist would argue that the state is an “interim” reality which is to be eliminated when the classless society emerges; but the state i s the end while it lasts, and man only a means to that end.

And if any man’s so-called rights or liberties stand in the way of that end, they are simply swept aside. His liberties of expression, his freedom to vote, his freedom to listen to what news he likes or to choose his books are all restricted. Man becomes hardly more, in communism, than a depersonalized cog in the turning wheel of the state. This deprecation of individual freedom was objectionable to me. I am convinced now, as I was then, that man is an end because he is a child of God.

Man is not made for the state; the state is made for man. To deprive man of freedom is to relegate him to the status of a thing, rather than elevate him to the status of a person. Man must never be treated as a means to the end of the state, but always as an end within himself.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Chapter Six, entitled "My Pilgrimage to Nonviolence"; in his book Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story; September 1st, 1958

Forum List

Back