What will gender equality mean for military?

shlnme

Rookie
Mar 11, 2013
Now that the women-in-combat ban has been lifted, senator Rangel has proposed expanding the draft to include women. Others are concerned with changing standards for different units to accommodate physical differences between men and women, and think that women should still have separate roles, though potentially still in combat positions. I've been considering enlisting for a while now, and with these changes I have no idea what to expect. Do you think we could/should see policies like these coming soon?

If a position requires a you to lug a 180 man or routinely run long distances, then a solider should be required to be able to do those things in order to get that position. Whether they are male or female is irrelevant.

As to what you should expect. The army has been preparing for women in combat for awhile. Women have been in combat for awhile, they have simply been barred from certain positions. It's a minor adjustment that the military is more than ready for.

As soon as the standards are lowered, no one will have to lug a 180 pound weight, or run long distances. As long as the military is comfortable for the military members, that's all liberals ask.

I think women are perfectly capable of meeting the mental and physical demands required of soldiers in combat. If they do, then there is no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to serve in those roles. Its not like they're going to get special treatment. The same physical capabilities will be expected of them as of men in combat.

The only thing that does concern me is the way the men in combat will treat them. If men don't view women as equals in combat positions then there are going to be issues with trust and tension and discrimination.

The next step is for the men and women to shower and bunk together, since we are all equal and stuff.

Surely! After all, according to at least one democrat, men will stop attacking women as soon as they are told they shouldn't do that.

As painful as it is to admit, we will deserve everything that is about to happen to us.

As soon as the standards are lowered, no one will have to lug a 180 pound weight, or run long distances. As long as the military is comfortable for the military members, that's all liberals ask.

It would really be nice if we could discuss a topic - any topic - once in a while without you whining about liberals. It's stupid and it makes you look like you're about five.

As for the topic, I think it will be a minor adjustment. I don't see why women can't be fit enough and strong enough to perform most tasks if they choose to.

I also hope the appalling record of the US Air Force on the raping of female cadets is improved.

I think women are perfectly capable of meeting the mental and physical demands required of soldiers in combat. If they do, then there is no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to serve in those roles. Its not like they're going to get special treatment. The same physical capabilities will be expected of them as of men in combat.

The only thing that does concern me is the way the men in combat will treat them. If men don't view women as equals in combat positions then there are going to be issues with trust and tension and discrimination.

You sell our soldiers short. My husbands CO is a woman. There are lots of women in power in the military, the vast majority just see a soldier, and don't even think about gender.

The next step is for the men and women to shower and bunk together, since we are all equal and stuff.

Surely! After all, according to at least one democrat, men will stop attacking women as soon as they are told they shouldn't do that.

As painful as it is to admit, we will deserve everything that is about to happen to us.

Just letting men and women shower and bunk together will save costs on separate facilities alone, I say do it.

You sell our soldiers short. My husbands CO is a woman. There are lots of women in power in the military, the vast majority just see a soldier, and don't even think about gender.

That wasn't my intention at all. I certainly don't mean to sell our nations soldiers short. I just meant that not all are in favor of the lifting the ban on women in combat. Those who believe that women aren't fit for these roles might find it hard to adjust. However, the repeal of DADT didn't cause any major problems for the military so this may not either.

Now that the women-in-combat ban has been lifted, senator Rangel has proposed expanding the draft to include women. Others are concerned with changing standards for different units to accommodate physical differences between men and women, and think that women should still have separate roles, though potentially still in combat positions. I've been considering enlisting for a while now, and with these changes I have no idea what to expect. Do you think we could/should see policies like these coming soon?

Though it is great that the ban has been lifted, there are still some things to think about. Men's bodies are more physically fit, in general, compared to women. I don't mean to sound sexist, what I mean is that women's physical health will deteriorate at a faster rates than men's.

I think this is a problem. Clearly if women's health deteriorates faster, they won't be able to serve as long without serious repercussions. I think women can be equal in someways, but it might be impossible to do so in the military for the sake of their well-being.

Though it is great that the ban has been lifted, there are still some things to think about. Men's bodies are more physically fit, in general, compared to women. I don't mean to sound sexist, what I mean is that women's physical health will deteriorate at a faster rates than men's.

I think this is a problem. Clearly if women's health deteriorates faster, they won't be able to serve as long without serious repercussions. I think women can be equal in someways, but it might be impossible to do so in the military for the sake of their well-being.

Do you (or anyone else) think that units or duties could be arranged differently so women's responsibilities aren't as dependent on physical strength as on other abilities?

Do you (or anyone else) think that units or duties could be arranged differently so women's responsibilities aren't as dependent on physical strength as on other abilities?

At the base we are stationed they have an all female combat unit. It elminates a lot of the fears many have expressed about women in combat.

It would really be nice if we could discuss a topic - any topic - once in a while without you whining about liberals. It's stupid and it makes you look like you're about five.

As for the topic, I think it will be a minor adjustment. I don't see why women can't be fit enough and strong enough to perform most tasks if they choose to.

I also hope the appalling record of the US Air Force on the raping of female cadets is improved.

Some people aren't smart enough to discuss a topic on it's merit, thus they deflect to politics....constantly.

I think that should happen, but it would have to be done consciously that people (most likely on the outside) wouldn't see it as sexist. But women definitely should be able to be in those types of positions, as long as they're qualified.

Ever been on the front line?

If not, then you're talking out of your ass. When I don't have the facts, I tend to go with what expert and experience says. Women on the front line will be a clusterfuck. There are no toilets, showers, etc. on the front line. Think about it. Don't we ask enough of our front line troops without burdening with other people's PCBS?

Ever been on the front line?

If not, then you're talking out of your ass. When I don't have the facts, I tend to go with what expert and experience says. Women on the front line will be a clusterfuck. There are no toilets, showers, etc. on the front line. Think about it. Don't we ask enough of our front line troops without burdening with other people's PCBS?

Please, inform us, what constitutes the "fron't line" on today's three dimensional battlefield.

That depends. You don't want to gloss over basic skills that might someday save your or life, or effect you saving Someone Else's. That said Smarter is usually better.

At the base we are stationed they have an all female combat unit. It elminates a lot of the fears many have expressed about women in combat.

What do you mean that it has eliminated a lot of the fears about women in combat? I'm sorry, I just want to make sure that I understand what you mean.

Forum List

Back