What Went Wrong With Trade?

no FA. I don't know exactly what wages would do but it only makes sense that the manufacturer wants to sell. He will sell a lot more if mostly every one can afford
the products. If the wanted to profit then the products would have to be affordable, period.

What is it about fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade that you don't understand?

Sonny, you agreed with me earlier so you know we're on the same side... but let me take a shot at this...

I personally don't want "fair/equal/balanced" trade deals... I want deals which are to OUR advantage. If you sit down to negotiate a new car deal with the salesman, do you want a "fair/equal/balanced" deal, where the salesman gets a fair commission, the dealership makes a fair profit, you get a price that is no less than anyone else? Or do you want the best deal for YOU? The problem with our trade deals now is that they were made by people who wanted "fair/equal/balanced" deals... but those put is at a disadvantage because we can't pay our laborers $1 a day plus a bowl of rice. And this is WHY we need tariffs on the products THEY import to us.

What is it about fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade that you don't understand?

Sonny, you agreed with me earlier so you know we're on the same side... but let me take a shot at this...

I personally don't want "fair/equal/balanced" trade deals... I want deals which are to OUR advantage. If you sit down to negotiate a new car deal with the salesman, do you want a "fair/equal/balanced" deal, where the salesman gets a fair commission, the dealership makes a fair profit, you get a price that is no less than anyone else? Or do you want the best deal for YOU? The problem with our trade deals now is that they were made by people who wanted "fair/equal/balanced" deals... but those put is at a disadvantage because we can't pay our laborers $1 a day plus a bowl of rice. And this is WHY we need tariffs on the products THEY import to us.
I totally disagree

I hear a lot of opposite party bashing. Always have but with none or little explanation. Id like to debate individual issues. Can we debate trade policies?
Tariffs being all but illiminated caused this job problem. It took some time after tariffs were lowered and iliminated for greed to take over but it reared its head in the late 60's and we have the problems with jobs and taxes that we have now.
Thank you for bringing up, I appreciate it. Yes, everyone needs to talk about it, understand it, and push to correct the tremendous social and economic damage since the 50's when we started rebuilding Japan's economy.

Well...what if we still had tariffs and we didn't have to use tax dollars to rebuild?
No tariffs. And why would tax dollars be used to "rebuild"? Rebuild what? Use tax dollars for what?

FA, what would happen if an item on the shelf at 5.00 and no one bought it because it was to expensive?
Less of them would be made as demand is not high enough, the price would be adjusted down or the item would cease to be sold entirely as there is no profit to be made.

How about you make the relevant point.

I did...you missed it

no FA. I don't know exactly what wages would do but it only makes sense that the manufacturer wants to sell. He will sell a lot more if mostly every one can afford
the products. If the wanted to profit then the products would have to be affordable, period.
*sigh*

No they don't unless you think that Rolex is actually affordable.

You see, products are priced for maximum profitability, period. Not maximum sales.

so did sonny but I think he misses about 21 out of 24 hrs a day

I hear a lot of opposite party bashing. Always have but with none or little explanation. Id like to debate individual issues. Can we debate trade policies?
Tariffs being all but illiminated caused this job problem. It took some time after tariffs were lowered and iliminated for greed to take over but it reared its head in the late 60's and we have the problems with jobs and taxes that we have now.
Thank you for bringing up, I appreciate it. Yes, everyone needs to talk about it, understand it, and push to correct the tremendous social and economic damage since the 50's when we started rebuilding Japan's economy.

Well...what if we still had tariffs and we didn't have to use tax dollars to rebuild?
No tariffs. And why would tax dollars be used to "rebuild"? Rebuild what? Use tax dollars for what?

FA, what would happen if an item on the shelf at 5.00 and no one bought it because it was to expensive?
Less of them would be made as demand is not high enough, the price would be adjusted down or the item would cease to be sold entirely as there is no profit to be made.

How about you make the relevant point.

I did...you missed it
I was ninja'd :D

so did sonny but I think he misses about 21 out of 24 hrs a day
images2AZTPO9Z.jpg

A rolex?? lol...why not a 257 foot motor yacht...jeez...you know, when a person goes to extreme t
in an attempt to prove failed policy you lose credibility..
...try maybe a loaf of bread.

A rolex?? lol...why not a 257 foot motor yacht...jeez...you know, when a person goes to extreme t
in an attempt to prove failed policy you lose credibility..
...try maybe a loaf of bread.
?

I didn't go extreme. I pointed out the obvious - product prices are not set to the point to increase the number of people that can afford it. You are actively trying to ignore what is right in front of you.

They are set to maximize profit. I am sure a LOT more bread would sell if they priced it at 50 cents and they damn well could. It would obliterated profits though so bread is a few bucks.

Of course there is more expensive bread as well - not because they can sell more of it but because they can sell less at a MUCH higher profit margin.

Look - we are getting off discussion anyway. None of this really has anything to do with my original premise - artificially reducing the supply of a product increases its cost. Do you disagree with that one statement?

NO TARIFFS -- THERE IS NO NEED FOR TARIFFS .......... fair, equal, and balanced trade would fix the problem.

Really?! Give us your plan?
My plan is very simple. Fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade with our trading partners. Go to Dictionary.com and look up what fair means, what equal means, and what balanced means. Those three words have very simple meanings.[/QUOTE]
IOW, you have no idea. Those words do have simple meanings. So simple, in fact, that they do not contain one iota of actual policy or idea for trade policy.

Well, thanks for playing but there is no longer a need to respond to such empty remarks. I might as well play in the RDean sandbox and I have no interest in such a vapid conversation.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Like before WW2! You DO get it!

NO TARIFFS -- THERE IS NO NEED FOR TARIFFS .......... fair, equal, and balanced trade would fix the problem.

Really?! Give us your plan?
My plan is very simple. Fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade with our trading partners. Go to Dictionary.com and look up what fair means, what equal means, and what balanced means. Those three words have very simple meanings.
IOW, you have no idea. Those words do have simple meanings. So simple, in fact, that they do not contain one iota of actual policy or idea for trade policy.

Well, thanks for playing but there is no longer a need to respond to such empty remarks. I might as well play in the RDean sandbox and I have no interest in such a vapid conversation.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Like before WW2! You DO get it![/QUOTE]
images1H2XKDPP.jpg

Forum List

Back