What Went Wrong With Trade?

Windship

VIP Member
May 27, 2014
I hear a lot of opposite party bashing. Always have but with none or little explanation. Id like to debate individual issues. Can we debate trade policies?
Tariffs being all but illiminated caused this job problem. It took some time after tariffs were lowered and iliminated for greed to take over but it reared its head in the late 60's and we have the problems with jobs and taxes that we have now.

No. I said what I meant to say. Is that all your going to say? No ammo, huh?

I hear a lot of opposite party bashing. Always have but with none or little explanation. Id like to debate individual issues. Can we debate trade policies?
Tariffs being all but illiminated caused this job problem. It took some time after tariffs were lowered and iliminated for greed to take over but it reared its head in the late 60's and we have the problems with jobs and taxes that we have now.
Thank you for bringing up, I appreciate it. Yes, everyone needs to talk about it, understand it, and push to correct the tremendous social and economic damage since the 50's when we started rebuilding Japan's economy.

First, and most importantly, we desperately need to re-write our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade agreements and policies. We're at a tremendous disadvantage in the world market place. We can NOT compete with cheap foreign labor markets. We're not allowed to work children in sweat shops 18 hours a day. Our standard of living does not allow us to work for $10.00 a day wages. We have laws and regulations governing businesses and commerce in general, that some of our trading partners do not have.

We have OSHA, EPA, USDA, FAA, FDA, and labor laws that other countries do not have. We have a tax structure that other countries do not have. In other words, it's impossible for us to compete on an uneven playing field. Remember, the term "Global Economy" basically means "equalization to the lowest level". We're seeing the truism of that equalization as we speak. We've been forced to lower our standard of living, work for less wages and benefits, and over the years, closed many of our plants and factories. Basically, we've become import dependent. America no longer produces what America uses and consumes.

The reality is, we've sacrificed our economic well-being in favor of strengthening foreign economies. We've been so busy lifting foreign economies, that we've neglected our own for many decades now. Due to unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies, combined with the high cost of union labor, we've lost all or most of the textile, steel, electronics, toy, tool, appliance, furniture, automotive parts, housewares, and farm equipment industries to cheap foreign labor markets. And, along with those lost industries, we've lost many skills that were once handed down from generation to generation.

In order to rebuild America, and create economic growth and stability, we MUST demand fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade agreements and policies. By doing so, we'll put America back to work, producing more of what America uses and consumes. I wont bore you with the long list of social and economic benefits that would be realized by legislating and enacting fair trade, but their number is huge. But, I will give you just a few, if you don't mind.

(1) Generation of tax revenue
(2) Spendable income in the pockets of consumers
(3) Restoration of the Middle Class
(4) Greatly reduce the number of citizens receiving some form of government assistance
(5) Reduction in poverty
(6) Lower unemployment
(7) Higher wages
(8) More incentive to get higher education
(9) Close the gap between the rich and the poor
(10) Boost the retail market due to consumer spending

I agree that trade policy is asinine. It is structured to benefit major corporations and not America.

First, and most importantly, we desperately need to re-write our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies, so that they become fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade agreements and policies. We're at a tremendous disadvantage in the world market place. We can NOT compete with cheap foreign labor markets. We're not allowed to work children in sweat shops 18 hours a day. Our standard of living does not allow us to work for $10.00 a day wages. We have laws and regulations governing businesses and commerce in general, that some of our trading partners do not have.
The interesting part about that is that tariffs will ALSO not allow us our standard of living because it will naturally drive prices up. No matter what our policy does, it will require a change in what we expect as a standard of living.

I agree that trade policy is asinine. It is structured to benefit major corporations and not America.

The interesting part about that is that tariffs will ALSO not allow us our standard of living because it will naturally drive prices up. No matter what our policy does, it will require a change in what we expect as a standard of living.
NO TARIFFS ... PERIOD ............. NEVER agree to tariffs. They're NOT needed. All that's needed are fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade agreements and policies, period.

( ***** SIDE NOTE ***** ) ---- Also, we MUST severely punish the off-shore out-sourcing of our jobs, severely punish the importing of labor, and RID this country of ILLEGAL immigrants.

NO TARIFFS ... PERIOD ............. NEVER agree to tariffs. They're NOT needed. All that's needed are fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade agreements and policies, period.

( ***** SIDE NOTE ***** ) ---- Also, we MUST severely punish the off-shore out-sourcing of our jobs, severely punish the importing of labor, and RID this country of ILLEGAL immigrants.
Call it what you want.

It results in the same exact thing. Any move you make that limits free trade increases local prices.
My point still stands.

.[/QUOTE]

( ***** SIDE NOTE ***** ) ---- Also, we MUST severely punish the off-shore out-sourcing of our jobs, severely punish the importing of labor, and RID this country of ILLEGAL immigrants.[/QUOTE]

Illegals are 1/3 of the problem but I don't think you understand what tariffs did and how important they were.
We funded almost entirely, our gov. Foreign good payed for our Government! Now, how in the heck can you disagree and say we don't need them! Just think of all the tax dollars that would be available.

( ***** SIDE NOTE ***** ) ---- Also, we MUST severely punish the off-shore out-sourcing of our jobs, severely punish the importing of labor, and RID this country of ILLEGAL immigrants.[/QUOTE]

Illegals are 1/3 of the problem but I don't think you understand what tariffs did and how important they were.
We funded almost entirely, our gov. Foreign good payed for our Government! Now, how in the heck can you disagree and say we don't need them! Just think of all the tax dollars that would be available.[/QUOTE]
And making it difficult to trade to address things like 25 cent wages amounts to the exact same thing.

Perhaps this would be better:

What do you consider good, balanced trade policy that does not have tariffs SC?

Call it what you want.

It results in the same exact thing. Any move you make that limits free trade increases local prices.
My point still stands.
FYI - What I have said has absolutely ZERO to do with Tariffs, none. And, I have said absolutely NOTHING about limiting FREE TRADE, absolutely nothing. You have no point. What you've done, is completely misunderstood everything that I said. It's obvious by your comments in response. What the results would be is "fair, equal, and balanced foreign trade, period." And, that my friend is speaking in plain English.

.[/QUOTE]
Call it what you want.

My point still stands.[/QUOTE]

Its a mountainous problem and there is no easy fix. The ppl that put us here wont suffer if prices went up, just the mid and lower class.
I would pay more.
But its not THAT grim.
If tariffs were reinstated, Taxes would go down IMMEDIATLY, business' would hire, wages and bennies would go up.
Let me point out...we were the strongest when we mined our own ore, made our own steel and sold it to ourselves with some exports.
Yes. I am an "isolationist"... I care about the U.S. not the others. In fact, what our gov has done to tear down this Country is criminal and treasonous.

Call it what you want.

My point still stands.[/QUOTE]

Its a mountainous problem and there is no easy fix. The ppl that put us here wont suffer if prices went up, just the mid and lower class.
I would pay more.
But its not THAT grim.
If tariffs were reinstated, Taxes would go down IMMEDIATLY, business' would hire, wages and bennies would go up.
Let me point out...we were the strongest when we mined our own ore, made our own steel and sold it to ourselves with some exports.
Yes. I am an "isolationist"... I care about the U.S. not the others. In fact, what our gov has done to tear down this Country is criminal and treasonous.[/QUOTE]
NO TARIFFS -- THERE IS NO NEED FOR TARIFFS .......... fair, equal, and balanced trade would fix the problem.

...those cock suckers took an oath to support THIS country and do whats is best for THIS country.
Why do ppl let them get away with their crimes?

This is where I agree with Trump. Our trade deals have been made by absolute idiots. People more concerned with "playing fair" and "being nice" than getting us the best deal. Trade policies with Japan and China are killing us. NAFTA is an unmitigated failure which has cost us millions of jobs.

This is where I agree with Trump. Our trade deals have been made by absolute idiots. People more concerned with "playing fair" and "being nice" than getting us the best deal. Trade policies with Japan and China are killing us. NAFTA is an unmitigated failure which has cost us millions of jobs.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !!!!

We funded almost entirely, our gov. Foreign good payed for our Government! Now, how in the heck can you disagree and say we don't need them! Just think of all the tax dollars that would be available.[/QUOTE]
NO NEED FOR THEM

FA,...reinstating the tariffs would make it nonprofitable for corporation and business to stay abroad or in mex, or anywhere. THIS Country is where they sell. This Country buys. They would be forced to come back or cut off The U.S. as a trading pard and prices would not increase that much because the items would sit on the shelves. The greedy corporations would be forced to cut profit and lower prices or the items would sit on the shelves just like the chicken eggs. When the price drops, itll sell.Corporations are making way, way more profits than any other time in history. We need to reinstate the balance.

.[/QUOTE]
NO TARIFFS -- THERE IS NO NEED FOR TARIFFS .......... fair, equal, and balanced trade would fix the problem.[/QUOTE]

Really?! Give us your plan?

It just astounds me that every one can see what happened between the yrs 1910 and 1970 and they can see what happened from 1970-presant.
How can anyone say the trade policies are good for us? There is the absolute proof right there!

Forum List

Back