What was at the heart of Elvis's music?

TheParser

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2017
Although I am not necessarily a fan of Elvis, I have just read in the Los Angeles Times an article about a special tonight (April 14, 2018) on HBO about Elvis.

I found the article very interesting and just wanted to share a few comments that I found very touching.

1. Elvis had a "penchant as a youth for sneaking into black churches and clubs to hear gospel, jump blues, soul and R&B music."

a. "That colorblind approach is at the heart of Presley's music."

2. "Instinctively and seamlessly fusing elements of black gospel, blues and R&B with white country and folk music, Presley synthesized a vibrant new sound that electrified his young audiences, first locally, then nationally and eventually globally."

Credit: The author of the Times article is Randy Lewis. The headline is "Elvis, the artist."

My father-in-law knew Elvis somewhat and ran in Tillman Frank's circles.

He would agree that black "gospel, jump blues, soul and R&B music" infused Elvis' soul thus his music.

Elvis was pretty good,but he wasnt a creator,he was good performer, a good looking white kid with a great voice with a great guitarist behind him.... to me no way he was the so called king of rock n roll....

Elvis was pretty good,but he wasnt a creator,he was good performer, a good looking white kid with a great voice with a great guitarist behind him.... to me no way he was the so called king of rock n roll....
In my eyes Chuck Berry was the King.
i agree....Chuck at least wrote what he sang and played lead on his music....the guy even had Willie Dixon play bass on his 50's studio stuff ....

Forum List

Back