What REAL changes do we need to make America great again?

Actually I am going to agree with you, had it not been that I read an interview from the Nobel Prize winning economist, Thomas Sargent yesterday.

Studies found that in Europe and the US that when a person is employed, their "human capital" (worth) grows, making them valuable employees. Once they are unemployed, they lose their job, they begin losing capital right away. The longer they are unemployed, the more capital is lost, making them undesirable candidates for employment. This today, we find that recruiters and emplyers are looking at other corporations to take away their employees and actually put in advertisements, UNEMPLOYED NEED NOT APPLY.

What was meant as a Safety Net for the jobless actually turned into a trap by extending benefits and encouraging people to not take any job and waiting for the perfect one. A very interesting study. Sargent won the Nobel Prize this week.

None of that arrives at the conclusion you're trying to assert. It does nothing to change the fact that employers will not hire people "beneath their grade" because employers don't trust those people to stick around. Not only that, but managers don't want you doing an underlings job when you could be doing the boss' job. Because that manager will have to worry that you'll take his job. He's just not going to give you the chance to do that in economic times like these.

And as you say yourself, once you're unemployed, you're less likely to be hired nowadays anyway. Everything you've said retains and affirms the fact that the current unemployment problems have nothing to do with people not being willing to accept a job "beneath their grade." In fact, tens of thousands of people in the US have tried to gain employment "beneath their grade" but rejected because they are over qualified.

Keep in mind, those weren't my assertions, but of the economists after studies.

My own thoughts, however is , if I was looking for an employyee, I would rather take one that is still trying to keep some sort routine in his life, keep an edge, going for more training, something productive rather than sitting on their bum. I might hire an over qualified person, letting him know I want him in the firm and looking for another position for him because I know of his worth if that is, indeed the truth.

Another point is, the study showed that the length of time being unemployed made a difference. The longer someone was out of work, the less desirable the potential employee was. Sorry to go on, this wasn't supposed to be the topic of the thread, sorry. Lol.

1. I would propose a compromise between liberals and conservatives. A tax raise of 5% for those who's income is $2,000,000 and above for the next 10 years and an across the board cut of 10% funding of every government funded program and Department for the next 10 years ( the same 10%, not an additional 10% each year).

2. Right to work laws in every state. No person should have to dues to hold a job.

3. Corporations and lobbyists will be limited to $50,000 annual campaign donations to any candidate.

3. Private citizens will be limited to $10,000 annual campaign donations to any candidate.

4. A candidate cannot use personal funds for campaign purposes except for meals and lodging.

5. Unemployment benefits limited to 52 weeks, encouraging people to take jobs beneath their grade while still looking for better employment.

Any others?

There's nothing in there to address the REAL deflation of the economy.. We were told YEARS ago that America would need to super-size it's job skills to compete in a global economy. And that we would need to make it EASIER for capital to start new tech enterprises and industries.. We should ---

1) Cut subsidies for crap that's already invented and on the market. Shift a small portion to ACTUAL R&D and "competitiveness" grants.

2) Augment the K-12 curriculum to include more SCIENCE and more ENGINEERING topics and curriculum. Actually TEACH programming, electronics, biotech. Do it in conjunction with technical societies in electronics, chemistry, materials, ect..

3) Add incentives to Pell grants, student loans, and other handouts to get AMERICAN kids enrolled in science/engineering in our colleges.

4) Repatriot the $TRILLIONS overseas by allowing it come back tax free or minimally taxed IF it is placed in new Industrial base acquistions and additions.

5) Review all regulations that punish NEW Corporation creation. Start the process to kill those barriers ASAP..

THOSE will get higher employment, more govt revenue, and maintain American Standard of living more than any whiny proposal about campaign cash. Unless you think that NONE OF THESE could happen til we clean the crapper of all existing politicians.

Last edited:
How about you start with everyone being and American citizen. And American money used American citizens.

Unemployed Americans looking for work = ~14 million
Illegal immigrants in the United States = ~15 million

Is the math really that hard for people?

4) Repatriot the $TRILLIONS overseas by allowing it come back tax free or minimally taxed IF it is placed in new Industrial base acquistions and additions.

Bush and the GOP tried that a few years back and it failed miserably. I don't think it would work much better now.

Then make it work bettter. Write better legislation. Don't tell me it would better to leave it in Russia and Ireland..

How about you start with everyone being and American citizen. And American money used American citizens.

Unemployed Americans looking for work = ~14 million
Illegal immigrants in the United States = ~15 million

Is the math really that hard for people?

So, of the 14 million unemployed, you know for a fact they are all American citizens? And, you know for a fact, that all 15 million undocumented people in this country have a job?

I'd love to see a link supporting that.

This proposed Amendment 28 is being widely circulated and there is a lot in it to like.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011 (Amendment 28 of the U.S. Constitution)

1. No Tenure and No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates the same as all other American people. The Social Security fund may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress must purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts with and for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so congressmen should serve their terms (no more than 2), then go home and find a job. A former congressman cannot be a lobbyist.

And I would add a No. 8:

8. Except for immediate and necessary emergency aid in a disaster situation, Congress and/or the White House shall be prohibited from dispensing the people's money as any form of benefit or benevolence to any specific group or interest. All legislation passed by Congress will benefit all Americans equally without respect for political or socioeconomic status.

I think if you enact this along with something approximating a balanced budget amendment, we would see a whole lot of the existing problems go away.

Bush and the GOP tried that a few years back and it failed miserably. I don't think it would work much better now.

Then make it work bettter. Write better legislation. Don't tell me it would better to leave it in Russia and Ireland..

The problem is that even if you write better legislation and police it better (Bush Co didn't) then the companies could still choose to just not bring back the money. That's the problem with this repatriation idea.

Actually, if I recall correctly, Bush opposed it because John Snow said it would be essentially useless. And apparently they were right.

Recruiters tell people don't be unemployed. Be a volunteer, mentor, docent, intern, go to school. ANYTHING but portray yourself as someone sitting around watching TV eating bon bons.

Then make it work bettter. Write better legislation.

Reagan pushed an immigration amnesty bill through Congress, which failed to deliver what it supposedly promised. So, should we do the same thing again, and just write better legislation? The problem isn't the legislation, it's the concept. Repatriating money into the US is not going to do anything to help our economy.

So, of the 14 million unemployed, you know for a fact they are all American citizens? And, you know for a fact, that all 15 million undocumented people in this country have a job?

I'd love to see a link supporting that.

No, I don't know that EVERY SINGLE ONE is such and such. But based on the Department of Labor there are roughly 14 million Americans unemployed in this country, looking for work. But let's say only 10 million are citizens or legal permanent residents, and let's say that only 10 million illegals have a job. That leaves us in the exact same boat.

The problem is that even if you write better legislation and police it better (Bush Co didn't) then the companies could still choose to just not bring back the money. That's the problem with this repatriation idea.

That's not for you to decide. Many have PROPOSED this. It would work to some extent. Make the offer.. It's virtually free... As opposed to B.O. stimulus which is not and is temporary in effect.

GET THE MONEY OUT

We have ALWAYS been a democracy.

your arguement is not with me its with EVERY dictionary and encyclopedia in the world.

That's not for you to decide. Many have PROPOSED this. It would work to some extent. Make the offer.. It's virtually free... As opposed to B.O. stimulus which is not and is temporary in effect.

Even if you wrote perfect legislation and businesses decided to go along with it, even though there is not a lot in it for them, you're still talking about a one-time, temporary boost. Just like Obama's stimulus, but with a lot more "if's".

That is the difference between the statists/political class and most of everybody else. The statists/political class want government to FORCE people to do what the statists/political class want done. In other words, government should supercede personal liberties in almost every circumstance if the statist wants that.

Most of the rest of us see personal liberties, including where and when we use or spend our money, as superceding government and government should have little or no say in that so long as we don't infringe on the rights of others. So the rest of us want government policy that makes it BENEFICIAL to the investor/businessman to bring home and use his money here and thereby benefit many.

The statist/political class sees wealth as belong to all and therefore subject to government regulation. Most of the rest of us think there are no personal liberties unless our property, legally and ethically acquired, is inviolate.

Forum List

Back