What REAL changes do we need to make America great again?

This proposed Amendment 28 is being widely circulated and there is a lot in it to like.

Congressional Reform Act of 2011 (Amendment 28 of the U.S. Constitution)

1. No Tenure and No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates the same as all other American people. The Social Security fund may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress must purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts with and for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so congressmen should serve their terms (no more than 2), then go home and find a job. A former congressman cannot be a lobbyist.

And I would add a No. 8:

8. Except for immediate and necessary emergency aid in a disaster situation, Congress and/or the White House shall be prohibited from dispensing the people's money as any form of benefit or benevolence to any specific group or interest. All legislation passed by Congress will benefit all Americans equally without respect for political or socioeconomic status.

I think if you enact this along with something approximating a balanced budget amendment, we would see a whole lot of the existing problems go away.

I fail to see how any of those items would improve this country.

This proposed Amendment 28 is being widely circulated and there is a lot in it to like.

1. No Tenure and No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates the same as all other American people. The Social Security fund may not be used for any other purpose.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts with and for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so congressmen should serve their terms (no more than 2), then go home and find a job. A former congressman cannot be a lobbyist.

And I would add a No. 8:

8. Except for immediate and necessary emergency aid in a disaster situation, Congress and/or the White House shall be prohibited from dispensing the people's money as any form of benefit or benevolence to any specific group or interest. All legislation passed by Congress will benefit all Americans equally without respect for political or socioeconomic status.

I think if you enact this along with something approximating a balanced budget amendment, we would see a whole lot of the existing problems go away.

Is this really going around to all the states? Or does it have to be sanctioned by Congress first? :(

The problem is that even if you write better legislation and police it better (Bush Co didn't) then the companies could still choose to just not bring back the money. That's the problem with this repatriation idea.

That's not for you to decide. Many have PROPOSED this. It would work to some extent. Make the offer.. It's virtually free... As opposed to B.O. stimulus which is not and is temporary in effect.

That is the difference between the statists/political class and most of everybody else. The statists/political class want government to FORCE people to do what the statists/political class want done. In other words, government should supercede personal liberties in almost every circumstance if the statist wants that.

Most of the rest of us see personal liberties, including where and when we use or spend our money, as superceding government and government should have little or no say in that so long as we don't infringe on the rights of others. So the rest of us want government policy that makes it BENEFICIAL to the investor/businessman to bring home and use his money here and thereby benefit many.

The statist/political class sees wealth as belong to all and therefore subject to government regulation. Most of the rest of us think there are no personal liberties unless our property, legally and ethically acquired, is inviolate.

Nice speech. Except we aren't talking about people, we're talking about companies. Companies aren't people. A person might do what's best for his country, but a company will do what's best for the company. If we're talking about making this country great again, then yes, you have to push and prod companies to help in that. They won't do it otherwise.

And I would add a No. 8:

I think it would keep some of them honest. Why the Congress people feel they do not have to abide by the laws they enact has always puzzled me. Would Health Care passed if they had been forced to accept it themselves?

1. I would propose a compromise between liberals and conservatives.

If by "liberals" you mean today's Democratic Party, I disagree. We need to move substantially to the left of them. Both parties are beholden to Wall Street and the corporate elite. The Republicans are worse, but that doesn't make the Democrats what you'd call good.

A tax raise of 5% for those who's income is $2,000,000 and above for the next 10 years and an across the board cut of 10% funding of every government funded program and Department for the next 10 years ( the same 10%, not an additional 10% each year).

No.

A confiscatory tax on personal income above $1.5 million with a marginal rate of 90%. A 50% marginal rate on incomes between $1 and $1.5 million. Set the next rate down at half a million, and then set lower brackets as needed to obtain needed revenue. A full deduction for any money invested in job-creating enterprises. (Nobody's going to actually pay that 90% rate, of course, but we will see much more investment in the real economy to get out of doing so.)

As for spending cuts, no blanket across-the-board crap. Close most overseas base, bring the troops home, redefine the military's mission as primarily one of defending the country, and establish its size appropriate to that mission according to the best expert military advice we have. End fossil fuel subsidies and agricultural subsidies and subsidies for big business generally. Look at all other spending with a view to cutting what isn't needed and increasing what is being shortchanged -- we have some of both.

2. Right to work laws in every state. No person should have to dues to hold a job.

No.

STRICT enforcement of labor law, raising penalties as necessary to get illegal firings down from their current obscene rate to something no higher than 8% and preferably lower. AGGRESSIVELY enforce workers' right to form a union.

The federal government can't legitimately interfere with a state's authority to pass anti-union laws, but since you detailed state-level stuff, too, I will as well: repeal all such laws.

Increase union strength. Get it back to where it was in the 1950s, in the 20% level of private-sector employment and up. Unionize the service sector particularly because that's where the jobs are going to be.

3. Corporations and lobbyists will be limited to $50,000 annual campaign donations to any candidate.

No. Corporations and lobbyists to be absolutely prohibited from making campaign donations.

3. Private citizens will be limited to $10,000 annual campaign donations to any candidate.

$1000. Maybe less.

4. A candidate cannot use personal funds for campaign purposes except for meals and lodging.

Hmm, I'd personally approve of this but it's almost certainly unconstitutional. Better shelve that for now.

5. Unemployment benefits limited to 52 weeks, encouraging people to take jobs beneath their grade while still looking for better employment.

No. Refusal to accept jobs below their grade has almost nothing to do with the unemployment problem; what we have is an absence of jobs. Normal UI benefits don't last as long as 52 weeks; emergency UI should last as long as the emergency does.

Any others?

Yes.

Go through the tax code and take out any deductions and credits that reward companies for outsourcing.

Reexamine all of our free trade agreements; abrogate any of them that are with countries where prevailing wages are less than 75% those in the U.S. or that are guilty of currency manipulation. Impose tariffs on goods imported from such countries as appropriate.

Repeal the Affordable Care Act and replace it with an expanded Medicare program that covers everyone regardless of age. Empower Medicare to aggressively bargain down medical costs.

Reimpose the Glass-Steagal act.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Nice speech. Except we aren't talking about people, we're talking about companies. Companies aren't people. A person might do what's best for his country, but a company will do what's best for the company. If we're talking about making this country great again, then yes, you have to push and prod companies to help in that. They won't do it otherwise.

Spoken like someone who offers little in value to a company.

Spoken like someone who offers little in value to a company.

Says the person who has no idea what I do for a living ;)

Doesnt matter what you do.....whatever it is it leaves with you impression and experience that is diametric to mine in terms renumeration, benefits and perks based on the value I provide.

And I would add a No. 8:

I think it would keep some of them honest. Why the Congress people feel they do not have to abide by the laws they enact has always puzzled me. Would Health Care passed if they had been forced to accept it themselves?

It would keep all of them a lot more honest. If they were unable to benefit themselves without benefitting everybody else, we would see a lot better work done with legislation and a whole lot less hanky panky, smoke and mirrors, and self serving programs and acts that anybody but a fool would know would not deliver as promised. Right now, we have mostly career politicians that make themselves very wealthy men and women on the tax payers dime. I want to get back to citizen legislators who are public servants and have the best interests of the country instead of their own fortunes at heart.

We need to change ourselves. We need to root out any corruption in our life. We need to humble ourselves and not be arrogant. We need to be charitable to our neighbors.

The problem is that even if you write better legislation and police it better (Bush Co didn't) then the companies could still choose to just not bring back the money. That's the problem with this repatriation idea.

That's not for you to decide. Many have PROPOSED this. It would work to some extent. Make the offer.. It's virtually free... As opposed to B.O. stimulus which is not and is temporary in effect.

Even if you wrote perfect legislation and businesses decided to go along with it, even though there is not a lot in it for them, you're still talking about a one-time, temporary boost. Just like Obama's stimulus, but with a lot more "if's".

What part of "USing that money to build new facilities or industry infrastructure" don't you ObamaWhacks comprehend. STIMULUS is temporary. Building a new INDUSTRIAL BASE is not...

And I would add a No. 8:

Actually the Buffoon Buffet had a good suggestion that would add nicely to this list. Would stop overspending in it's tracks..

"If the Deficit Budget of the USA exceeds more than 3% of GDP in one year, NONE of the sitting members of Congress shall be eligible for re-election"... I guess you'd have to make an exception for a DECLARED WAR.. Hey wait --- that fixes TWO PROBLEMS dont it?

Even if you wrote perfect legislation and businesses decided to go along with it, even though there is not a lot in it for them, you're still talking about a one-time, temporary boost. Just like Obama's stimulus, but with a lot more "if's".

What part of "USing that money to build new facilities or industry infrastructure" don't you ObamaWhacks comprehend. STIMULUS is temporary. Building a new INDUSTRIAL BASE is not...

And what part of "No incentive for them to do that" was confusing to you? Businesses are not selfless, church-going people who are itching at the opportunity to spend their money to better the country.

1. I would propose a compromise between liberals and conservatives. A tax raise of 5% for those who's income is $2,000,000 and above for the next 10 years and an across the board cut of 10% funding of every government funded program and Department for the next 10 years ( the same 10%, not an additional 10% each year).

2. Right to work laws in every state. No person should have to dues to hold a job.

3. Corporations and lobbyists will be limited to $50,000 annual campaign donations to any candidate.

3. Private citizens will be limited to $10,000 annual campaign donations to any candidate.

4. A candidate cannot use personal funds for campaign purposes except for meals and lodging.

5. Unemployment benefits limited to 52 weeks, encouraging people to take jobs beneath their grade while still looking for better employment.

Any others?

The most important one. Levy a Fair Flat Tax. No excuses, No exceptions, and no exemptions. We could do away with the entire IRS and most of congress.

And what part of "No incentive for them to do that" was confusing to you? Businesses are not selfless, church-going people who are itching at the opportunity to spend their money to better the country.

They are not doing it for you pinhead. They are building factories, bizzes, HERE in USA to make more money.. Geez you're denser than I figured.
I'd give you a list of those who have promised to do just that. But you're not working hard enough for me to go fetch it..

4) Repatriot the $TRILLIONS overseas by allowing it come back tax free or minimally taxed IF it is placed in new Industrial base acquistions and additions.

Bush and the GOP tried that a few years back and it failed miserably. I don't think it would work much better now.
That was just a scheme to enable Bush's "base" to bring their hidden money back into the U.S. without it being taxed. As far as the "industrial base acquisitions and additions" are concerned, they existed on paper only and were easily written off. And it worked.

Didn't it.

Last edited:

They are not doing it for you pinhead. They are building factories, bizzes, HERE in USA to make more money.. Geez you're denser than I figured.
I'd give you a list of those who have promised to do just that. But you're not working hard enough for me to go fetch it..

Ok. So you think that if we allow tax-free repatriation of profits, that a company will build a new factory here in the States, and forget about the cheaper labour overseas and the cost of shipping their product to an overseas market.

It didn't work when Bush tried it. But good golly, it'll work now, right?

70 per cent of the U.S. force structure in Iraq and Afghanistan are private contractors.

How To Profit From the War in Afghanistan: Military Contractors

OWS protestors are from IOWA (I'm Out Wandering Around). Their best and most focused talking point should have been an anti-war sentiment. Instead, they are like horseshit point-wise, all over the place. Many an effective domestic policy movement (civil rights, women's rights) rode the coattails of the anti-war movement concerning VietNam.
OWS protestors learned nothing from that counter-culture history and are doomed to just fade-away.
American capitalism is a 'blood-economy'. It takes fellow Americans' blood to grease the wheels of continued corporate war profits, even, in a 'down' economy. (One significant reason why Wall St. is sustaining, while Main St. is failing).
But, instead, OWS protestors are only selfishly concerned about their own future and blood, instead of focusing on what should be the starting point for the real 'meat-of-the matter'.

70 per cent of the U.S. force structure in Iraq and Afghanistan are private contractors.

How To Profit From the War in Afghanistan: Military Contractors

OWS protestors are from IOWA (I'm Out Wandering Around). Their best and most focused talking point should have been an anti-war sentiment. Instead, they are like horseshit point-wise, all over the place. Many an effective domestic policy movement (civil rights, women's rights) rode the coattails of the anti-war movement concerning VietNam.
OWS protestors learned nothing from that counter-culture history and are doomed to just fade-away.
American capitalism is a 'blood-economy'. It takes fellow Americans' blood to grease the wheels of continued corporate war profits, even, in a 'down' economy. (One significant reason why Wall St. is sustaining, while Main St. is failing).
But, instead, OWS protestors are only selfishly concerned about their own future and blood, instead of focusing on what should be the starting point for the real 'meat-of-the matter'.

No -- we're not the "blood economy". We're the country that has footprints on the moon. That wrote the operating systems for the world. That has a machine that can play Jeopardy. That has mapped the Human Genome. That put computers into every home.

THAT'S what our leadership should be stating. We are crying ourselves into dehydration here with this class war nonsense and calls to dismantle the system. And the morons who are in charge can think beyond FDR...

Forum List

Back