What purpose does God Serve?

The Illusion

Energist
Jul 22, 2009
Hades
If humans are capable of doing things on our own....creating technology...creating medical "savior" procedures....Performing miracles using medicine and other techniques....etc

What is the purpose of God? In any religion?

Jamie

My opinion only. If you don't believe in God then He does nothing for you. If you do believe in God, He brings a bit of peace and order in your life. Just a matter of what you believe in.

If humans are capable of doing things on our own....creating technology...creating medical "savior" procedures....Performing miracles using medicine and other techniques....etc

Jamie

When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves. Genesis 3:6-7

The purpose of god? Well, someone has to tell Kalam and Avatar what to think. You can't expect them to do all their own thinking, do you?

Jamie

Religions need something they can manipulate to serve their purposes and never have to back up with real evidence because it's all about faith and m-y-s-t-e-r-y and you're big party pooper if you question any of that.

I've always had a dim understanding of the need for belief in a god, I've just never understood why anyone had to make a club out of believing in a god or gods. Seems like it should be a private thing. If you need peer pressure to keep your faith strong it must not be based on anything very tenuous.

God's good for the odd miracle now and then, smiting nuisences or a heated philosophical debate with a burning bush. Technology is so impersonal.

Jamie

To me the question isn't "what purpose does God serve" but rather "How do I serve You, God"

Not a popular question, I know, but when you have a relationship with Him, when you realize what He has done for you, there just isn't any other question.

Well, if you set aside the concept that all substance that has ever existed, exists, or will exist is a creation of God--that alone would make Him pretty important--and if you ignore all the counsel, physical, and emotion support I personally receive but which is evident mostly only to me--that too is pretty important--. . . .

. . . .there is also the comfort of knowing that something bigger and wiser and more powerful than all the stupidity, ignorance, and cruelty that humankind is capable of inflicting on humankind is out there, and we are not eternally doomed to suffer the consequences of our own frailties and dumb choices that we make.

Jamie

To me the question isn't "what purpose does God serve" but rather "How do I serve You, God"

Not a popular question, I know, but when you have a relationship with Him, when you realize what He has done for you, there just isn't any other question.

Interesting.

So I gather that posting on this here messageboard is among your chosen ways to serve God. How's that working out for you?

Jamie

God told me that there is nothing that would please him more than if you were to take a vow of silence.

Jamie

God told me that there is nothing that would please him more than if you were to take a vow of silence.

How do you know she hasn't?

How do you know she hasn't?
LOL He did specify silence in cyber space as well.

Jamie

What if your god is a woman? How would you characterize that relationship?

Forum List

Back