What purpose does God Serve?

Defintion of god from Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Main Entry: 1god
Pronunciation: \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got god
Date: before 12th century
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a: the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe bChristian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship ; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3: a person or thing of supreme value
4: a powerful ruler

What is the purpose of God? That is a question an atheists will pose. God has no purpose. God is not a mistake!! God is the basis of everything a believer believes in.

Of course, if there were no Gods, there would be no religion and no believers. Just a bunch of heathens try to make sense of this poor non-religion based world as if they could. A world born of ignorance and forever shrouded in the ignorance of God.

Is that really such a bad thing?

I have no idea what that means. Is that a religious quote or some lyric from Jethro Tull?

I have no idea what that means. Is that a religious quote or some lyric from Jethro Tull?

I'll give you two guesses. But you're only going to need one. :cool:

Roots To Branches

Words get written. Words get twisted.
Old meanings move in the drift of time.
Lift the flickering torches. See gentle shadows change
the features of the faces cut in unmoving stone.
Bad mouth on a prayer day, hope no one's listening.
Roots down in the wet clay, branches glistening.

True disciples carrying that message
to colour just a little with their personal touch.
Home-spun fancy weavers and naked half-believers --
Crusades and creeds descend like fiery flakes of snow.

In wet and windy priest-holes. Grand in vast cathedrals.
High on lofty minarets or in the temples of doom.
I hope the old man's got his face on.
He'd better be some quick change artist.
Suffer little children to make their minds up soon.

To me the question isn't "what purpose does God serve" but rather "How do I serve You, God"

Your post is right on the money. Thanks for being brave enough to admit to what you believe.

I personally believe in energy. Energy is everything. It is our thoughts, our actions, the air we breath, and what created us. I am not an Atheist, but I do believe that energy is our creator. It is what we are made up of and energy serves the functions of all things. It serves everything in every way and is the creator of other Gods which humans want to believe there is. Cultures are energy.. nations are energy..and individuals are energy. Therefore, we are all God/esses in our own rights believing that some of you may have Gods under Energy...but first and foremost..whatever you call it.. God is energy.. and energy is shall remain forever and ever and ever because energy can neither be created or destroyed..and in cultures..their God/esses cannot be created or destroyed. Energy serves everything.

Jamie

If humans are capable of doing things on our own....creating technology...creating medical "savior" procedures....Performing miracles using medicine and other techniques....etc

What is the purpose of God? In any religion?

Jamie

To me the question isn't "what purpose does God serve" but rather "How do I serve You, God"

Not a popular question, I know, but when you have a relationship with Him, when you realize what He has done for you, there just isn't any other question.

Interesting.

So I gather that posting on this here messageboard is among your chosen ways to serve God. How's that working out for you?

:) lovin it, get to share how awesome He is, focus on the Scriptures at times, post Christian music and praise, got some fellowship in certain places, and MOST important, it really helps me learn how to love people that are pretty much out to criticize me, the whole thing rocks!

How's it going for you?

If humans are capable of doing things on our own....creating technology...creating medical "savior" procedures....Performing miracles using medicine and other techniques....etc

Jamie

Not a popular question, I know, but when you have a relationship with Him, when you realize what He has done for you, there just isn't any other question.
God told me that there is nothing that would please him more than if you were to take a vow of silence.

I'm sure your god does :)

I personally believe in energy. Energy is everything. It is our thoughts, our actions, the air we breath, and what created us. I am not an Atheist, but I do believe that energy is our creator. It is what we are made up of and energy serves the functions of all things. It serves everything in every way and is the creator of other Gods which humans want to believe there is. Cultures are energy.. nations are energy..and individuals are energy. Therefore, we are all God/esses in our own rights believing that some of you may have Gods under Energy...but first and foremost..whatever you call it.. God is energy.. and energy is shall remain forever and ever and ever because energy can neither be created or destroyed..and in cultures..their God/esses cannot be created or destroyed. Energy serves everything.

Jamie

I believe that's Biblical in a way, there are principalities, there is a god of this world, there are demons that follow him...there are many energies.

There is also the "energy" of the Holy Spirit but calling Him just energy doesn't do Him justice. He is a person, not of human form but He has attributes, He has will, He has majesty and glory, He loves us and guides the ones that ask Him to, He rocks.

And if gender is an issue, we call Him "He" because He is all powerful but He is also all nurturing (El Shaddai is masculine and feminine form and is one of His names). I don't think He is actually male or female but He has and does refer to Himself in the masculine, probably because of His power. And trying to translate all that He is to our temporal minds is just better matched to the masculine.

Jamie

God was as means for early Man to control society and to explain the world around him. God is a product of awareness and the need to control groups. The irony is that any type of supernaturalism lies in the world of irrationalism yet it was with Mans first feble attempts at rationalism that we created god. Go figure...

The soul is ageless, sexless, nonphysical, possessed of the divine spark of the Goddess and God: Energy. Each manifestation of the soul (ie., each body it inhabits on earth) is different. No two bodies or lives are the same. If this wasnt so, the soul would stagnate. The sex, race, place of birth, economic class, and every other individuality of the soul is determined by actions in past lives and the lessons necessary to the present. This is of utmost importance in my thought: we decide the lay of our lives. There is no god or curse or mysterious force of fate upon which we can thrust the responsibility for the trials in our lives. We decide what we need to learn in order to evolve, and then, it is hoped, during incarnation, work toward this progress. If not, we regress into darkness...

Jamie

Jamie

Another fucking stupid, contrived, trolling thread.

The soul is ageless, sexless, nonphysical, possessed of the divine spark of the Goddess and God: Energy. Each manifestation of the soul (ie., each body it inhabits on earth) is different. No two bodies or lives are the same. If this wasnt so, the soul would stagnate. The sex, race, place of birth, economic class, and every other individuality of the soul is determined by actions in past lives and the lessons necessary to the present. This is of utmost importance in my thought: we decide the lay of our lives. There is no god or curse or mysterious force of fate upon which we can thrust the responsibility for the trials in our lives. We decide what we need to learn in order to evolve, and then, it is hoped, during incarnation, work toward this progress. If not, we regress into darkness...

Jamie

There's no such thing as a "soul." There is consciousness, an illusion created by our brains, a shared illusion among those of us with human brains.

Jamie

Never heard "just wait until your father gets home!"? :lol:

LOL I forgot about that purpose rofl... only in my case it was...JUST WAIT until your MOTHER gets home! EEP

Jamie

Jamie

There's no such thing as a "soul." There is consciousness, an illusion created by our brains, a shared illusion among those of us with human brains.

I chose to use the word, "Soul" because thats what most people can make of it. I believe in energy.. we are nothing but a mass of energy put together. Perhaps I will post my theory called "The intellect and consciousness of energy" if you like you can take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Jamie

Forum List

Back