What paperless society?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Electronic records and media were supposed to liberate us from paperwork and paper recordkeeping, while conserving forests used to produce paper products.

The promise rings hollow. Cybersecurity experts are suggesting states have a voter-verified paper record of every ballot cast to guard against Russian hackers. Many people are reluctant to do on-line banking, fearing some hacker will erase their accounts from the “cloud.” They want to be able to point to a paper statement and say, “This proves I have this money.”

When I reorder medicine online, a message on the page says, “Print this for your records.”

While newspaper print circulation has fallen, the New York Times still has a print circulation of more than 2.2 million.

If we were truly in a paperless society, inkjet and laser printers would be as scarce as fax machines. Hardly. Best Buy, for example, has more than 270 different printers available. (They have only one combination fax-printer.)

Should we completely dismiss the idea of a paperless society?

Electronic records and media were supposed to liberate us from paperwork and paper recordkeeping, while conserving forests used to produce paper products.

The promise rings hollow. Cybersecurity experts are suggesting states have a voter-verified paper record of every ballot cast to guard against Russian hackers. Many people are reluctant to do on-line banking, fearing some hacker will erase their accounts from the “cloud.” They want to be able to point to a paper statement and say, “This proves I have this money.”

When I reorder medicine online, a message on the page says, “Print this for your records.”

While newspaper print circulation has fallen, the New York Times still has a print circulation of more than 2.2 million.

If we were truly in a paperless society, inkjet and laser printers would be as scarce as fax machines. Hardly. Best Buy, for example, has more than 270 different printers available. (They have only one combination fax-printer.)

Heck, the Paperwork Reduction Act actually created more federal paperwork......... :lol:

From my personal experience, I'd say paperless is the future. At home I'm putting more stuff into the cloud as I think it is more secure than my systems at home. The are serious about their backups. At my office we have a really fast & secure network and just about all my work is online. I haven't printed anything in months but keep scratch paper for quick notes. I write to paper maybe once a week but if it is more than a sentence or two, I'll do it online.

We have reams of printer paper around the office and they're mostly used to adjust the height of monitors.

Forum List

Back