What? No Jazz People Here?

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen any thread on here about the passing of one of the most influential jazz saxophone players of all time a couple days ago---- Wayne Shorter!

Shorter was synonymous with the entire progressive jazz/jazz-rock/fusion movement born out of associations with the great one, Miles Davis, perhaps best known for his playing in Weather Report.

I enjoy listening to it but have not been a follower of the genres talents. It's the most free flowing music, allowing for maximum expression and improvisation which I enjoy . I sometimes leave my radio on a jazz station in the kitchen.

I listened to the jazz stations here in Dallas since the 80's.......and the last jazz station we had was turned into another clone pop station.
So there are no more jazz stations in the DFW metro area, or N. Texas that I've found. So I just listen on Youtube when in the mood for jazz.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen any thread on here about the passing of one of the most influential jazz saxophone players of all time a couple days ago---- Wayne Shorter!

Shorter was synonymous with the entire progressive jazz/jazz-rock/fusion movement born out of associations with the great one, Miles Davis, perhaps best known for his playing in Weather Report.

RIP. He was a great one and will be missed. I had intended to post about his passing, but got busy and didn't get around to it.

My dad was a serious collector of jazz music, and introduced me to Wayne Shorter way back in the 60's, during his time with The Second Miles Davis Quintet. He really excelled when he switched from tenor to soprano sax.

If I'm not mistaken, he won the most Grammys of any jazz saxophonist.

My personal favorite saxophonist was Stan Getz, especially his classics like "Desafinado" and "Girl from Ipanema", with Astrud Gilberto.

RIP. He was a great one and will be missed. I had intended to post about his passing, but got busy and didn't get around to it.
My dad was a serious collector of jazz music, and introduced me to Wayne Shorter way back in the 60's, during his time with The Second Miles Davis Quintet. He really excelled when he switched from tenor to soprano sax.
If I'm not mistaken, he won the most Grammys of any jazz saxophonist.
My personal favorite saxophonist was Stan Getz, especially his classics like "Desafinado" and "Girl from Ipanema", with Astrud Gilberto.

I've been lucky enough to get to know a few musicians in both the rock and jazz-rock (fusion) genres. But not Wayne Shorter.

When it comes to jazz Miles Davis is the GOAT. Greatest trumpet player ever. A close second would be John Coltrane who happens to be the best sax player to ever live.

When it comes to jazz Miles Davis is the GOAT. Greatest trumpet player ever. A close second would be John Coltrane who happens to be the best sax player to ever live.
Miles was in a class by himself.

As far as saxophonists, I think that Charlie Parker also ranks as one of the greatest.

Al Dimeola, Jean luc Ponty, Steely Dan,
Lee Ritenour..... lately I've been listening to some female smooth jazz crossover type stuff

Ponty sure was the tops back in the 70s and on! Last I got to see him was in 1996 with his old fusion band and I couldn't have been more than 15 feet from him as he played on the stage right along the river with my city right across the way on the other side, its lights reflecting in the water at night. He was playing with his clear lexan electric violin reprising a lot of the soaring celestial/ethereal stuff that he had showcased in Visions of the Emerald Beyond. Fantastic. A true master.

But the Muse had total control of Thelonius Monk
One of a kind and hasn't changed for me in decades.
Humor , beauty, utter originality

Have you ever heard anything like this

I used to see him for almost free with my girlfriend back in 1980 in a small lounge for the price of a drink and peanuts. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back