CDZ What News Checker Would You Trust?

What Fact Checking Organization(s) Would You Accept as Honest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem is that there's little difference in main stream news and fake news. They promote what they want and discredit what they want. I've long called them the fourth branch of government, often determining who gets elected.

If a Republican is in office it's the worse economy ever, and often has self fullfilling results. People freak, the economy slows down. They tried like hell this time, pulled out all the stops. Foe me I trust none of them and take everything with a grain of salt. If it's something I find interesting I'll look at multiple sources.

Me. I trust myself to understand the biases and leanings of various news sources and individuals reporting the news. I take in as many points of view as I care to and draw my own conclusion.

A radical concept for the group thinkers, I understand.

Me. I trust myself to understand the biases and leanings of various news sources and individuals reporting the news. I take in as many points of view as I care to and draw my own conclusion.

A radical concept for the group thinkers, I understand.
We are essentially consumers of the news, and news deserves the same protection of validity as any other product. It isn't legal for a vitamin producer to advertise that it will add 10 years to your life and they are not allowed to do it. Why is news, which can be equally important in the choices we make, not subject to any sort of protections whatever, just because they are on the internet?

This week, there has been talk about Google trying to slow down its "fake news" sites by not allowing them ad services. There has been a lot of screaming about that, that it is the left's attempt at shutting down conservative speech. I get it that Google made its liberal bias known during the election, but the election is over and it's time to come back to our senses. It is time to ensure that the "news" articles we receive on our phones and on social media are actually true. If you don't trust Google to say "not true," who will you trust?

This has been freaking me out pretty seriously, since defending the right to distribute "fake" news is well on the path to swallowing whatever propaganda comes down the pike, most often by government types and politicos.
It is against everything my generation was ever taught. It should be against everything the current generation is willing to accept, as well. It's so scary, I don't want to argue about it; I want to find an answer.

Below is an article listing 6 fact checking sites that seem to be valid. You may know of others. I'd love your input.

6 Best Fact Checking Websites That Help You Distinguish Between Truth and Rumors

I am not sure what generation you belong to, but propaganda has been around ever since the printing press. The only weapon you have is development of critical thinking skills

This week, there has been talk about Google trying to slow down its "fake news" sites by not allowing them ad services. There has been a lot of screaming about that, that it is the left's attempt at shutting down conservative speech. I get it that Google made its liberal bias known during the election, but the election is over and it's time to come back to our senses. It is time to ensure that the "news" articles we receive on our phones and on social media are actually true. If you don't trust Google to say "not true," who will you trust?

This has been freaking me out pretty seriously, since defending the right to distribute "fake" news is well on the path to swallowing whatever propaganda comes down the pike, most often by government types and politicos.
It is against everything my generation was ever taught. It should be against everything the current generation is willing to accept, as well. It's so scary, I don't want to argue about it; I want to find an answer.

Below is an article listing 6 fact checking sites that seem to be valid. You may know of others. I'd love your input.

6 Best Fact Checking Websites That Help You Distinguish Between Truth and Rumors

I am not sure what generation you belong to, but propaganda has been around ever since the printing press. The only weapon you have is development of critical thinking skills
I am slightly younger than the printing press, and I am fully aware of propaganda and about how to use critical thinking skills. That is why I am opposed to intentionally floated fake news on a site where millions rely on it for information.

I am slightly younger than the printing press, and I am fully aware of propaganda and about how to use critical thinking skills. That is why I am opposed to intentionally floated fake news on a site where millions rely on it for information.

what exactly is fake news? Most sites nowadays are opinion sites and not really news sites. If you want something you might call 'objective facts' then that can be very elusive. Cops will tell you that two people can watch the same accident and report two different versions, and that is without intentional bias and spin.

Opinions and spin are the news it seems, so I am not even sure what fake news might be in many cases.

As far as accurate descriptions of physical events, are people deliberately lying about that? In WWII Roosevelt had an information department that closely controlled the press. Churchill had false stories put out all the time. Nothing new here.

what exactly is fake news? Most sites nowadays are opinion sites and not really news sites. If you want something you might call 'objective facts' then that can be very elusive. Cops will tell you that two people can watch the same accident and report two different versions, and that is without intentional bias and spin.
I do get that. However, fake news sites are not that subtle.
Fake News Watch – Last updated: 01/18/2016
I am not objecting to opinion pieces. Say for example I decide to float a story in Facebook that the reason Barron Trump is not moving to D.C. is because he is learning disabled and is in a special program that can't be replicated.
That is entirely fake, as far as I know. Easily debunked--information from Barron's school or probably even his pediatrician could shoot this down in an instant. That is the kind of making stuff up some people are defending.

So you SUPPORT shutting down CNN NBC and the big 3 for false advertising and lies on their news programs after they went in the tank for Hillary?

I am not objecting to opinion pieces. Say for example I decide to float a story in Facebook that the reason Barron Trump is not moving to D.C. is because he is learning disabled and is in a special program that can't be replicated.
That is entirely fake, as far as I know. Easily debunked--information from Barron's school or probably even his pediatrician could shoot this down in an instant. That is the kind of making stuff up some people are defending.

caveat emptor

So you SUPPORT shutting down CNN NBC and the big 3 for false advertising and lies on their news programs after they went in the tank for Hillary?
Link me to a bald lie concerning Hillary by NBC, please.

caveat emptor
consumer protection/truth in advertising

caveat emptor

I am not spending money

caveat emptor

I am not spending money
Isn't information even more important than whatever you can purchase?
Or at least AS important?

RetiredGySgt
Waiting for that bald lie by NBC or CNN if you prefer?

So lefties get to decide what is and is not real? Remind me how you would feel if a right leaning group tried that?

That's the goal of the entire ruse, the masses are to be programmed toward the absence of the concept of truth, everything is suspect, you cannot trust anyone outside your own silo. An utterly fractured, divided, distrustful and hateful population can never truly challenge the status quo.

Oh, and they do, but the system requires that the masses be also programmed to regurgitate that only that "other side" does that stuff.
How do we turn that around?
Stop lying.

I use Al Jazeera more times than not to check to see if the story being ran is credible. AP, Reuters and BBC are usually decent. Anyone can be duped and it happen to all of us.

Shutting down satire because too many people are ignorant to check the story out for it mistakes or jokes tell me society is too gullible and is easily duped into believing three million Amish would vote for Trump...

Look up the story and check it against other sites to see if it is real and if it is a blog then it is most likely some opinion piece that may or may not be accurate.

caveat emptor

I am not spending money
Isn't information even more important than whatever you can purchase?
Or at least AS important?

material items like vitamins can be empirically quantified and I do not have the equipment to do the verification in a reasonable way, so government regs are useful.

News/information would be very hard to empirically or even objectively verify all the time by a government watchdog. It would be an extremely litigious, contentious, and costly endeavor not to mention the government itself is biased and has put out deliberately false information.

Since I am not spending money, and I can read several other sources that already are fact checking the news sources, we have a built in checks and balances mechanism and I see no need for yet another liberal type government intrusion.

RetiredGySgt
How about the fact she was supposedly ahead by many points in the polls? What would you call that?

RetiredGySgt
How about the fact she was supposedly ahead by many points in the polls? What would you call that?

Ummmmm. That was true. The polls were wrong. It ended up helping Trump.

Forum List

Back