What New Orleans has that you do not

You know--I actually prefer Classic Italian and German food over English food.

So I have to ask--What is new in the English culinary arts?

Very little German food in NOLA. Plenty of Italian. NOLA is the home of the muffaletta sandwich, invented by a Sicilian immigrant. Description from the wiki page:

A traditional muffuletta consists of one muffuletta loaf, split horizontally. The loaf is then covered with a marinated olive salad, then layers of capicola, salami, mortadella, emmentaler, and provolone. The sandwich is sometimes heated through to soften the provolone.[2] The size of the muffuletta is enough to feed more than one person, and many stores sell quarter or half-muffulettas.

The olive salad is considered the heart of the sandwich, and consists primarily of olives, along with celery, cauliflower and carrot. The ingredients are combined, seasonings are added, covered in olive oil and allowed to combine for at least 24 hours. Prepared olive salad for muffulettas can also be bought by the jar in New Orleans grocery stores.

And its been time tested for over 100 years, not like that new wave British food that was only whipped up a few decades ago.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Sorry, mo chara. These days it always makes me laugh when Americans talk about their 'historic cities'. The village I live near dates from the 11th century. That's historic.

That's awesome. But we're Americans so we care more about our own history.

Well, it appears you don't care enough to learn it, since you seem very proud of your crap school system. Maybe if you had better schools, you'd have less poor people, and they could earn their own money instead of wanting to take it from other people.

Maybe if you weren't such a bitch I would give a fuck.

Really? What British menu choice are good?

You don't even know what questions to ask, do you?

Why don't you ask about how British food has changed over the past 10 years or so? Asking about menu choices is just moronic, Ravi. I doubt you've ever set foot in this country and, if on the off chance that you have, whether you ventured outside of London.

Your opinions are based on how Britain was decades ago.

Why can't you just tell us what's good? I don't really see why it has to be more complicated than that.

Depends upon whaca mean by "UK food". Scotland still has a rep for the most starch and fat, and fewest fresh veggies. Dunno diddly about Wales, and I doubt anyone else does. From what I hear, English resturant food has improved, as well as English eating habits...what you and I would call California Nuvea or the like. Meals light in calories and featuring fresh veggies and fish.

Irish food has always been reasonably good.

NONE of it even begins to compare to the ambrosia on offer in New Orleans.

Anybody who visits the south would love Savannah and Charleston, NOLA, not so much.. notice SPTUBA's attitude?? Folks are nice in Savannah and Charleston S.c.

Savannah is fantabulous.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9K9Crd7k-Y]YouTube - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - part 1 of 14[/ame]

The book is 110 xs better than the movie...and the city is 1001 xs better than either.

Then you really should know that Brit food has an excellent reputation these days. And for good reason. I know where the joke comes from but it just isn't true now.

Why don't you ask about how British food has changed over the past 10 years or so? Asking about menu choices is just moronic, Ravi. I doubt you've ever set foot in this country and, if on the off chance that you have, whether you ventured outside of London.

I'll take your non response to my question as proof that British food continues to suck. Last time I was there was the year you all had all the rain and the countryside was flooded, so no I didn't get outside of London much except to Ireland and one little corner which name escapes me.

The worst meal I had was at a British pub...every other meal was at a restaurant that was not British...French, Italian, Indian, etc.

You have fish, you have chips, you have beer (not as good as Ireland). That's it.

Anybody who visits the south would love Savannah and Charleston, NOLA, not so much.. notice SPTUBA's attitude?? Folks are nice in Savannah and Charleston S.c.

Savannah and Charleston have Southern Charm........New Orleans has soul

Then you really should know that Brit food has an excellent reputation these days. And for good reason. I know where the joke comes from but it just isn't true now.

There is nothing that says you can't find a fine restaurant or first class chefs in England. What they lack is an identifiable cuisine that is recognized as "British Food". French have it, Germans, Itallians.....British never figured it out

I'll take your non response to my question as proof that British food continues to suck. Last time I was there was the year you all had all the rain and the countryside was flooded, so no I didn't get outside of London much except to Ireland and one little corner which name escapes me.

The worst meal I had was at a British pub...every other meal was at a restaurant that was not British...French, Italian, Indian, etc.

You have fish, you have chips, you have beer (not as good as Ireland). That's it.

Well, you're a bit of a fucking idiot then, aren't you? Asking for menu choices was just moronic. British food has improved substantially..... and you should bear in mind the crap that Americans eat before you start criticizing other countries eating habits. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh, and Ireland is a separate country. It's not 'outside London'. Idiot. From your post, I have the impression that, because you once had a bad meal at an English pub, that qualifies you as a competent judge of English food. Is that your stance? Because I've lived here for a few years - traveled extensively around it and can state that the food is actually pretty damned good.

The worst meal I've ever had was in the US. Therefore all US food is crap. See how stupid that is? That's pretty much what you just said.

All you're doing is falling back on a popular criticism about England and using it, that criticism may or may not have been true at one time. It certainly isn't now.

And I don't like their fish and chips, but I'm not fond of McDonalds either.

Still can't think of anything, I see.

I'll make it easy on you. Name a restaurant or two that you frequent that has good British food and we'll take a look at the menu and see if they've moved beyond mushy peas.

I'll make it easy on you. Name a restaurant or two that you frequent that has good British food and we'll take a look at the menu and see if they've moved beyond mushy peas.

Really California Girl, you simply must speak louder. Nobody **** hear you. Gheesh.

I liked Southern food when I lived there, mostly. Cuban was fabulous, though I don't know why every Cuban chick is not a whale...wow is that stuff fattening. The BBQ was heavenly. The deli food...omg, pastrami and kosher dill pickles....yum.

Alas, I cannot brag on Cleveland's food. Shocked aren't ya? I knew you would be.

Spiderman Tuba, sex for room and board? Huh? Just for a long weekend?

I'll bring my handcuffs with the fur on 'em...please o please??

California Girl is just being obtuse...

She has yet to clarify what makes British food better over the last ten years nor has she identified a quintessential British cuisine

But why should this thread be any different than any other she posts on? It is easier to throw insults than back up your opinions

Well, you're a bit of a fucking idiot then, aren't you? Asking for menu choices was just moronic. British food has improved substantially..... and you should bear in mind the crap that Americans eat before you start criticizing other countries eating habits. :lol::lol::lol:

You haven't actually told us anything about British food - except that we're too stupid to understand.
Oh, and Ireland is a separate country. It's not 'outside London'.

Uhhhh ... what? How can ireland not be 'outside' London ... and be a separate country? Is it like the Vatican? Are you geometrically impaired?

Really California Girl, you simply must speak louder. Nobody **** hear you. Gheesh.

I liked Southern food when I lived there, mostly. Cuban was fabulous, though I don't know why every Cuban chick is not a whale...wow is that stuff fattening. The BBQ was heavenly. The deli food...omg, pastrami and kosher dill pickles....yum.

Alas, I cannot brag on Cleveland's food. Shocked aren't ya? I knew you would be.

Spiderman Tuba, sex for room and board? Huh? Just for a long weekend?

I'll bring my handcuffs with the fur on 'em...please o please??

Happily married.

She has yet to clarify what makes British food better over the last ten years nor has she identified a quintessential British cuisine

But why should this thread be any different than any other she posts on? It is easier to throw insults than back up your opinions

She mostly just calls us stupid.

Its great British food has improved over the last couple decades, Cali. At Antoine's on St. Louis in the French Quarter, some of the recipes are almost as old as the 170 year old restaurant. That's because good food doesn't need to be updated.

Its great British food has improved over the last couple decades, Cali. At Antoine's on St. Louis in the French Quarter, some of the recipes are almost as old as the 170 year old restaurant. That's because good food doesn't need to be updated.

Its not that the British are incapable of cooking good food. My experience was that the food was bland, overcooked and unimaginative. If California Girl says it has improved, it is about time. However, I still am unaware of any British cuisine that people choose to eat.

Back to the topic at hand......New Orleans has a unique cooking style. Some love it, some hate it...but it is unique and adds to New Orleans character.

Most of the country, particularly in the south, has lost their local family restaurants which serve local favorites. Chain restaurants have taken over and offer similar fare throughout the country. We are losing that local flare that gave each region character.

New Orleans still has its own flavor

Its not that the British are incapable of cooking good food. My experience was that the food was bland, overcooked and unimaginative. If California Girl says it has improved, it is about time. However, I still am unaware of any British cuisine that people choose to eat.

Back to the topic at hand......New Orleans has a unique cooking style. Some love it, some hate it...but it is unique and adds to New Orleans character.

Most of the country, particularly in the south, has lost their local family restaurants which serve local favorites. Chain restaurants have taken over and offer similar fare throughout the country.
We are losing that local flare that gave each region character.

New Orleans still has its own flavor
Sad indeed.

3411_MEDIUM.jpg

Forum List

Back