What makes Singapore so successful?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Singapore has one of the highest per capita GDPs in the world. With a population of 5.6 million people, they have about 900 homeless. Los Angeles, with a population of 3.9 million, has about 50,000. They are at or near the top in education. Their crime rate is so low, many of the stores have no security against shop lifting and do not even lock their doors.

Here is their GDP from: List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia
upload_2019-12-12_18-41-55.png

"In 2016, the island nation’s police reported 135 total days without any crimes including snatch-theft, house break-ins and robbery. That low crime rate means many small businesses enjoy little concern about shoplifting.

In fact, as CNBC recently observed, many local businesses take few precautions when closing shop at night.

For instance, in the ground floor lobby of a mixed-use building in the downtown business district, many shops don’t have windows, locks — or even doors."

How many American cities with a population of 5.6 million have 135 days in a year with NO crimes reported?

Also, look at Singapore.

il_fullxfull.1417264877_awhp.jpg

24939069370_693bf7b49d_k.jpg

singapores-city-skyline.jpg

Also, when I googled "Singapore shitting in streets", I found zero matching results.

Singapore does not incarcerate for low level crimes. They use caning and whipping instead. Drug crimes are all death penalty offenses. Immigration is almost non existent. The mentally ill are hospitalized whether they want it or not.

And if Singapore were 50 times bigger, it would likely have a more complex reality.

Economic freedom has a lot to do with it. They're ranked #2 in the world for it, right behind Hong Kong, which the left in China is trying to destroy.

Singapore does not incarcerate for low level crimes. They use caning and whipping instead. Drug crimes are all death penalty offenses. Immigration is almost non existent. The mentally ill are hospitalized whether they want it or not.

From what I am reading, it seems like someone would get caned if they dropped their pants and took a crap on the sidewalk. In grade schools, kids are caned for not doing their homework or disrespecting their teacher.

Immigration is almost non existent.

As of mid-2018, the estimated population of Singapore was 5,638,700 people, 3,471,900 (61.6%) of whom were citizens, while the remaining 2,166,800 (38.4%) were permanent residents (522,300) or international students/foreign workers/dependants (1,644,500).[4]

Singapore - Wikipedia

From what I am reading, they have a small border area, which they rigorously patrol, and it is basically all legal immigration and they are VERY SELECTIVE about who they let in regarding criminal record and marketable skills.

From what I am reading, it seems like someone would get caned if they dropped their pants and took a crap on the sidewalk. In grade schools, kids are caned for not doing their homework or disrespecting their teacher.

Yup. American Catholic schools used to do the same in more civilized times.

Last edited:
The students and foreign workers will likely go home. Immigrants to Singapore do not get much of a break and lawbreakers are harshly dealt with.

Singapore has one of the highest per capita GDPs in the world. With a population of 5.6 million people, they have about 900 homeless. Los Angeles, with a population of 3.9 million, has about 50,000. They are at or near the top in education. Their crime rate is so low, many of the stores have no security against shop lifting and do not even lock their doors.

Here is their GDP from: List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia
View attachment 294473

"In 2016, the island nation’s police reported 135 total days without any crimes including snatch-theft, house break-ins and robbery. That low crime rate means many small businesses enjoy little concern about shoplifting.

In fact, as CNBC recently observed, many local businesses take few precautions when closing shop at night.

For instance, in the ground floor lobby of a mixed-use building in the downtown business district, many shops don’t have windows, locks — or even doors."

How many American cities with a population of 5.6 million have 135 days in a year with NO crimes reported?

Also, look at Singapore.

il_fullxfull.1417264877_awhp.jpg

24939069370_693bf7b49d_k.jpg

singapores-city-skyline.jpg

Also, when I googled "Singapore shitting in streets", I found zero matching results.

manufacturing

Singapore's largest industry by far is the manufacturing sector, which contributes 20%-25% of the country's annual GDP. Key industry clusters in Singapore's manufacturing include electronics, chemicals, biomedical sciences, logistics and transport engineering.

What makes the Singapore economy tick ... - GuideMeSingapore

https://www.guidemesingapore.com › incorporation › why-singapore › singa...

Singapore does not incarcerate for low level crimes. They use caning and Dowhipping instead. Drug crimes are all death penalty offenses. Immigration is almost non existent. The mentally ill are hospitalized whether they want it or not.

Do you remember the American teen tourist that thought it would be fun to vandalize with a bit of graffiti? He was caned then kicked out.

It's a city-state. If you picked say New York the numbers would likely be at least close. Not a valid comparison to a non city state.

But for their strengths, well diversity is obviously a strength... wait, I mean the lack of diversity. It's homogenous nation with an average IQ over 100. No 3rd worlders. Diversity is a stench.

It's a city-state. If you picked say New York the numbers would likely be at least close. Not a valid comparison to a non city state.

But for their strengths, well diversity is obviously a strength... wait, I mean the lack of diversity. It's homogenous nation with an average IQ over 100. No 3rd worlders. Diversity is a stench.

The closest city I found in size is Los Angeles. Their per capita GDP is about 25% lower. The LA crime rate absolutely dwarfs that of Singapore. They have about 60 times as many homeless per capita. The numbers were way off.

As far as diversity, they are very selective about who they let immigrate their, except they do accept different ethnicities. They will accept Malaysians, Europeans, etc. if they have marketable skills and they can vet their criminal background. They do not appear to have an open door policy in regards to free loaders and degenerates.

While Singapore has a strong economic model that I'd like to see us emulate more in the States, they are also a very authoritarian country with harsh punishments for breaking the law. They also do not have freedom of speech. You CANNOT criticize the government. You'll be imprisoned for it.

I'd rather deal with some crime and have more personal freedom then live in a safe police state.

While Singapore has a strong economic model that I'd like to see us emulate more in the States, they are also a very authoritarian country with harsh punishments for breaking the law. They also do not have freedom of speech. You CANNOT criticize the government. You'll be imprisoned for it.

I'd rather deal with some crime and have more personal freedom then live in a safe police state.

You don't have to restrict freedom of speech to punish crime.

How much crime are you willing to accept? There are parts of Los Angeles where the people have little to no freedom at all. Their homes have bars on Windows and doors. The do not go out after dark. They can't run out to the store when they want. There are no stores. There are certain colors of clothing they can't wear. All because of crime.

Forum List

Back