What kind of snake is this?

Hellokitty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
Found baby snake in our pool and need to know if it's dangerous?
16668007318858214393366539654794.jpg

I
Found baby snake in our pool and need to know if it's dangerous? View attachment 715841
I think it is some variety of Banded Water Snake, harmless, except to mice, rats, voles, moles and baby rabbits. Definitely not poisonous, with long smoothly tapering tail and not the flared triangular head of pit vipers in this country.

I

I think it is some variety of Banded Water Snake, harmless, except to mice, rats, voles, moles and baby rabbits. Definitely not poisonous, with long smoothly tapering tail and not the flared triangular head of pit vipers in this country.
There is only one way to find out if it is venomous, not poisonous. Something is either venomous or poisonous, one or the other. Only if you are a democrat you can be both.

Anyhew.

Before you do find out, just don't wait till the last minute to fill out those organ donor cards.

Somebody out there needs a liver.

Keep in mind, though, just becasue a snake is nonvenomous doesn't mean it's safe. Nonvenomous snakes can still leave a nasty bite...
OMG, should I expect an infestation of snakes or do birds eat them? I don't know where the snake went but I have to empty the skimmer basket filled with leaves! :omg:

OMG, should I expect an infestation of snakes or do birds eat them? I don't know where the snake went but I have to empty the skimmer basket filled with leaves! :omg:
Snakes can't climb up the sides of pools, so it may well be in your skimmer basket. Just poke around the leaves with a stick before you stick your hand in there! I've been surprised with large scorpions and centipedes in my skimmer.

There is only one way to find out if it is venomous, not poisonous. Something is either venomous or poisonous, one or the other. Only if you are a democrat you can be both.

Anyhew.

Before you do find out, just don't wait till the last minute to fill out those organ donor cards.

Somebody out there needs a liver.
That one is a safe bet, due to shape. It is important to realize, those markings, like many snakes can change somewhat due to season, age and shedding of skin. It evolved to have a markings look that might mimic a copper head or at some times of year a cotton mouth, but those snakes are distinctively different in body type. It is important for adults to know this, but little kids should not be making the ID. This one is mature. When younger, one of the two poisonous ones mentioned may be harder to tell apart and could be painful as hell, and can cause a kid lose a finger or even a hand or limb, but usually not deadly if treated promptly. Of course that depends on the size of the kid and their weight, allergies, etc.
The snake in the picture would simply have rows of very tiny teeth like molars for holding its prey. A bite can bring blood, but actually feels quite a bit like being pinched with very coarse sand paper. Simply treat like any cut or scrape to avoid infection, slap on a band aide and forget it. Most of those guys are actually on the friendly side and will settle down after picking up, right behind the head if you support the rest of the body and if kept, get used to being picked up, so good for teaching, unless having a lump from recently eating. In that case, they can get irritable and cause them to throw up the mouse or whatever they ate. Nobody likes to be Fkd with right after a good meal and their digestion is slow.

Snakes can't climb up the sides of pools, so it may well be in your skimmer basket. Just poke around the leaves with a stick before you stick your hand in there! I've been surprised with large scorpions and centipedes in my skimmer.
Never seen a scorpion in person here in Tennessee. Are they actually dangerous or just painful? My skimmers just collect the occasional frog or vole.

I Just read snakes can climb trees, so now not only do I have to worry about spider webs hanging from the trees but also snakes falling out of branches...

I Just read snakes can climb trees, so now not only do I have to worry about spider webs hanging from the trees but also snakes falling out of branches...
That's pretty rare unless you are talking about Africa or the Amazon. I've come across literally hundreds of snakes both back East where I grew up and in Arizona and have never seen one in a tree. Snakes really aren't that dangerous even rattlers which I've dealt with dozens of times. You can buy yourself a 3 foot long grabber tool which works well for grabbing stuff you don't want to get close to! :)

Never seen a scorpion in person here in Tennessee. Are they actually dangerous or just painful? My skimmers just collect the occasional frog or vole.
I've been stung three times by Arizona scorpions. It's like a hot needle at first and then the sting area goes numb for a day or so. But other than that it didn't affect me. The centipedes are more venomous but I've never been bit by one of those.

That's pretty rare unless you are talking about Africa or the Amazon. I've come across literally hundreds of snakes both back East where I grew up and in Arizona and have never seen one in a tree. Snakes really aren't that dangerous even rattlers which I've dealt with dozens of times. You can buy yourself a 3 foot long grabber tool which works well for grabbing stuff you don't want to get close to! :)

3 feet, my pole for pool is like 12 feet so I just use that and fling stuff in the woods. We get a lot of frogs and 1 giant type frog that freaks me out. Our pool doesn't use chlorine or salt, so unfortunately it doesn't kill these things.

I've been stung three times by Arizona scorpions. It's like a hot needle at first and then the sting area goes numb for a day or so. But other than that it didn't affect me. The centipedes are more venomous but I've never been bit by one of those.
We got venomous centipedes in this country? I guess growing up in different regions, you learn a whole different set of cautions in the outdoors. At least your snakes, tend to warn you off if you get too close and can. Damned nice of them, except at night, as in total darkness, it is hard to tell for sure the direction of the rattle, much less how close, so you tend to lock up, not sure which way to move. At least that was me, with my one and only close encounter.

It takes a while but scorpion stings can kill. Its' always best to get medical help. I almost died from scorpion stings some years back.

It takes a while but scorpion stings can kill. Its' always best to get medical help. I almost died from scorpion stings some years back.
Wow! I have hiked a little, in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, and tent camped in two of them, never seeing one.

Wow! I have hiked a little, in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, and tent camped in two of them, never seeing one.
They like to hide under barks of pine trees in pine needles and if you hang laundry outside they have a habit to climb up and hide them selves in the clothes and linen.

They like to hide under barks of pine trees in pine needles and if you hang laundry outside they have a habit to climb up and hide them selves in the clothes and linen.
Pop us a pic of the dangerous lil bastards, so us Mid-South/Easterners know which ones you are talking about, in case ever getting out that way in the wilds again.

Forum List

Back