What Justices said to the U.S. Senate when they were nominees to the Supreme Court.

What Justices said to the U.S. Senate when they were nominees to the Supreme Court.

Excerpted from the link, What GOP-Nominated Justices Said About Roe to Senate Panel – NBC New York :

BRETT KAVANAUGH, 2018:
It was Feinstein who also asked Kavanaugh, “What would you say your position today is on a woman’s right to choose?”
“As a judge, it is an important precedent of the Supreme Court. By ‘it,’ I mean Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. They have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent, which itself is an important factor to remember," Kavanaugh said.
Casey was a 1992 decision that reaffirmed a constitutional right to abortion services.
Kavanaugh went on to say that he understood the significance of the issue. “I always try and I do hear of the real world effects of that decision, as I try to do, of all the decisions of my court and of the Supreme Court.”

NEIL GORSUCH, 2017:
With President Donald Trump's first Supreme Court nomination, it was Sen. Charles Grassley. R-Iowa, who asked point-blank: “Can you tell me whether Roe was decided correctly?
Gorsuch replied: “I would tell you that Roe v. Wade, decided in 1973, is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It has been reaffirmed. The reliance interest considerations are important there, and all of the other factors that go into analyzing precedent have to be considered. It is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It was reaffirmed in Casey in 1992 and in several other cases. So a good judge will consider it as precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court worthy as treatment of precedent like any other.”

JOHN ROBERTS, 2005
The late Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., asked of the now-chief justice, who was a federal appeals court judge when nominated: “In your confirmation hearing for circuit court, your testimony read to this effect, and it has been widely quoted: ‘Roe is the settled law of the land.’ Do you mean settled for you, settled only for your capacity as a circuit judge, or settled beyond that?"
Roberts replied: “It’s settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not. And it is settled as a precedent of the Court, yes.”

You know "conservative" is Klingon for "fucking big ass liar", right?

Excerpted from the link, What GOP-Nominated Justices Said About Roe to Senate Panel – NBC New York :

BRETT KAVANAUGH, 2018:
It was Feinstein who also asked Kavanaugh, “What would you say your position today is on a woman’s right to choose?”
“As a judge, it is an important precedent of the Supreme Court. By ‘it,’ I mean Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. They have been reaffirmed many times. Casey is precedent on precedent, which itself is an important factor to remember," Kavanaugh said.
Casey was a 1992 decision that reaffirmed a constitutional right to abortion services.
Kavanaugh went on to say that he understood the significance of the issue. “I always try and I do hear of the real world effects of that decision, as I try to do, of all the decisions of my court and of the Supreme Court.”

NEIL GORSUCH, 2017:
With President Donald Trump's first Supreme Court nomination, it was Sen. Charles Grassley. R-Iowa, who asked point-blank: “Can you tell me whether Roe was decided correctly?
Gorsuch replied: “I would tell you that Roe v. Wade, decided in 1973, is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It has been reaffirmed. The reliance interest considerations are important there, and all of the other factors that go into analyzing precedent have to be considered. It is a precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court. It was reaffirmed in Casey in 1992 and in several other cases. So a good judge will consider it as precedent of the U.S. Supreme Court worthy as treatment of precedent like any other.”

JOHN ROBERTS, 2005
The late Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., asked of the now-chief justice, who was a federal appeals court judge when nominated: “In your confirmation hearing for circuit court, your testimony read to this effect, and it has been widely quoted: ‘Roe is the settled law of the land.’ Do you mean settled for you, settled only for your capacity as a circuit judge, or settled beyond that?"
Roberts replied: “It’s settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not. And it is settled as a precedent of the Court, yes.”
what’s your point? 1) you have no idea what their opinions are. 2) precedents get overturned sometimes

BRETT KAVANAUGH, 2018:

NEIL GORSUCH, 2017:

JOHN ROBERTS, 2005
Very clever. Of course none assured the court that they would uphold Roe no matter what.

RetiredGySgt, THEY WERE SWORN IN AND TESTIFIED WITHIN U.S. SENATE HEARINGS in regard to their nominations.
THEY DID NOT THEN STATE (as you posted), "It. (i.e. Roe verses Wade) was (an) established precedent which it is right up until it overturned".
THEY DID NOT even imply that a woman choosing to have her pregnancy aborted was not being denied a human right. Is there any human right that's not additionally the right of every USA citizen?

Those particular justices quoted within this thread's first post in other words similarly in effect swore, as Chief Justice Roberts when a nominee swore, “It’s (i.e. Roe Vs. Wade is) settled as a precedent of the court, entitled to respect under principles of stare decisis. And those principles, applied in the Casey case, explain when cases should be revisited and when they should not. And it is settled as a precedent of the Court, yes”.

Respectfully, Supposn
Bottom line, no justice should EVER commit to vote one way or another on an issue before they hear the case and should never be asked to.

Bottom line, no justice should EVER commit to vote one way or another on an issue before they hear the case and should never be asked to.

Hadit, unfortunately what “should” and “is” differ. We cannot prevent senators from asking any specific questions; Nominees have responded to questions of both facts and opinions.
The willingness of a nominee to declare their opinion regarding an issue that may in the future be integral to a case they'll judge, is an indication of how far they're willing to go in order to attain the office; (i.e. an indication of the nominee's integrity and indirectly upon the integrity of the nominators' and their advisors). Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back