What is this thing about "Blame it on Canada"?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 777, Jul 20, 2004.

1. 777

777 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am from Finland and I am perplexed by the statement "Blame it on Canada". What is the origin of that? Is it a joke or an insult?

Also, why is there anti-Canadian sentiment in the USA?

Thank you

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The "Blame Canada" joke started with a song in the South Park movie, where the U.S. blames Canada for kids using profanity, since two particularly childish and vulgar comedians the kids like are from Canada, and that's where they learned the profanity.

The anti-Canadian sentiment from the U.S.A. stems from the anti-U.S. sentiment from Canada. The Canadian media is very anti-American and 40% of Canadian teens would describe the U.S. as "evil." They hate us, and we're beginning to get tired of their bullcrap, so we return the sentiment.

3. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    South Park - The Movie

"Blame Canada" one of the songs.

This is considered funny because of Canada's insignificance in the world and insofar as America itself it concerned. Canada is generally affected by the USA and rarely vice-versa.

In that same respect, there is little serious anti-Canadian sentiment at all in America, simply by way of it's total lack of real impact on the USA.

But, there is a fundamental and very serious anti-American feeling among many Canadians due to their own position in the relationship. While I understand this completely, it's not like I as an American find such feelings rational.

4. 777

777 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Why is Canada so anti-American?

5. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167

For the same reason most of Europe is also so. Impotence.

6. Doomer

Doomer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    actual Anti-Americanism is fairly rare in Canada. For the most part Canadians are anti-Bush. Unfortunatly the "Vocal Minority" (aka loud mouth board trolls) give average Canadians a bad name.

As for that poll. I would really like to see the actual poll that was made. It's really easy to scew(sp) a poll one way or another.

eg poll. Do you feel americans are :good
    : a little evil
    : moderately evil
    : very evil

that poll is exaggerated but you get the idea.

Also where was the poll taken? it's commonly known that anti-americanism is highest in Quebec. but a large portion of Quebec is Anti-Canada too.

On a person to person basis most Canadians and Americans get along fine (as long as politics don't enter into the conversation).

I'd say the biggest hit to American-Canadian relations though is a combination of Jean Cretien and George W. Bush. (they really didn't get along at all and IMO both of them are not very good diplomats. Diplomacy is very important when two people don't like each other.

As for the blame Canada thing. It is mostly just a south park joke.

I could go on and on with the events that contributed diminishing to American-Canadians relations since the Brian Mulroney - Ronald Reagan Years. (when relations were at an all time high). But that would a lot of time.

Sufficed to say Canadian-American relations are not as simplistic as many would have you believe when they try to sum it up in a one line answer.

7. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    The question asked of Canadian youth was whether America was evil, not whether Bush was.

While I don't see those 40% as a rational sign of true ignorance, what it does indicate is the fact that Canadian media is portraying that image to it's people. The results of this poll of the youth are clearly a sign of the effect Canada's recent anti-American media campaign on those who are most easily influenced by it.

In addition, many of us on this board have been in direct contact with Canadians via the Internet through various venues on the Internet, and it's no secret how much and how many simply despise us for who we are, as a nation.

I'm personally at a loss for what they intend to affect in America with such irrational attitudes. Given they have everything to lose and nothing to gain by opposing US policy internationally, I'm hoping reason will win out in the end, despite the damage they have done to their own up and coming generation and their perception of America.

8. Doomer

Doomer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I Answered you by saying that polls should be taken with a "Grain of salt" becuase they can be easily scewed. I also mentioned fact about what area of Canada had the most anti-Americanism (Quebec) and questioned where the poll was taken.
    Reading a poll without questioning when, where, and how the poll was taken is acting blindly.

I also mentioned the fact that the loudest people are usually in the minority. (trust me I see plenty of Americans pass through Canadian forums who act the same way some Canadians act on American Forums. It doesn't make me think that most americans are like that.

As for the youth. Well, they're just youth. They'll grow up, become wiser and more educated. I know that my views are much different now then they were 15 years ago. You need to remember that most youth are loud mouthed, irrational people, who believe they are invincible, and know everything. Thats why they're youth, and thats why they're not allowed to drink, join the army, or vote.

Also you seem to make it sound like our media has nothing better to do then bash Americans. For the most part our media spends it time on Canadian issues with the odd American issue thrown in here and there, and even most of that is Canadian-American Relations or Foreign policy which causes a ripple effect across the border.

9. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    http://www.torontofreepress.com/2004/weinreb063004.htm

"Can West News Services, owners of several Canadian newspapers including the National Post as well as the Global Television Network commissioned a series of polls to determine how young people feel about the issues that were facing the country’s voters. Dubbed "Youth Vote 2004", the polls, sponsored by the Dominion Institute and Navigator Ltd. were taken with a view to getting more young people involved in the political process.

In one telephone poll of teens between the ages of 14 and 18, over 40 per cent of the respondents described the United States as being "evil". That number rose to 64 per cent for French Canadian youth."

This addresses your question directly, does it not?

Perhaps "loud" is not the most unique aspect of internet users. In fact, the word I would ascribe to most is "educated". Most internet users, especially those who debate online, are among the most learned of their respective population.

Sure, but the youth are also the most easily manipulated. And of late the media of Canada leans so far left that it's not hard to see their perceptions a result of this hard core anti-American bias in that media.

Well I've been in Canada and stuck with Canadian programming for days on end, since before and after the Iraq war. In both cases the bias against and fixation of Bush and American policy was glaringly obvious to me, in your local news. I'm sure you might believe this be a product of our own "radically biased" media but then again there is always the net results of the polls which reflect the insane idea that America is now "evil" to almost half of the youth in Canada. I can't get over how this is supposed to make any sense in a country with rational debate and true balance in their media.

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I don't think that Canada is anti-American. I believe that Quebec is anti-American because they are pro-French and the French are anti-American because they long to be the big dog on the European block and think they can do so by posturing against American interests.

Ever since that pompous windbag De Gaulle came to Quebec and had the damn nerve to bellow about a French Quebec, that part of Canada has been a pain in the ass not only to the US, but to the rest of Canada as well.