What is the solution?

In my personal opinion, and I understand how this may come across to many people here, one of the most long-term sustainable solutions to gun violence is mass culture and lifestyle change. To me that means finding the good and the Light of God inside of all of us and prioritizing that over all else. I know how this may sound to a lot of people and I can understand the idealistic nature in it, but the simple truth is that if more people prioritized God in their life every single day and not look to man or the internet or violence for answers then culture could change for the better. Look at nearly all of these people who commit these acts of violence and there is a lot missing from their lives including, and most importantly, the acceptance of the Light that is or was inside of them all along and what that means for them and others around them. Just my personal opinion of course, and while I do support efforts of gun control not much will change without a cultural change as well.

What is people do not believe in God or a cultural change. Killings have happened since the beginning of time.
Cain in the bible is an example.
Bombings and arson kill far more in mass killings. Wave a magic wand and destroy every last gun, it won't stop the mass killings.

So do nothing, is that your answer? That is the way its been done for a long time.
And they didn't have guns. How could they have killed?

Passing more laws will do nothing but make more criminals...

Fact is the laws proposed would have not stopped Sandu Hook or the Santa Fe, Texas shootings.

Orlando Nightclub shooting might have been prevented had the government did it job and the recent cop shooting also could have been prevented.

Many write that passing these laws make sense but what they never factor in is straw purchasing or just flat out theft or black market sales.

So what is the true solution?

As it stands the Second Amendment stand in the way of those wishing to ban firearms altogether and let be honest a total ban in a nation this size is not happening at all and why?

If you lived in the countryside of Texas or New Mexico or Arizona or Nevada it could be an hour or more before LEO arrives and by then you could be dead.

Also living out there you need protection from wildlife like Wild Boar to Moutain Cats to Coyotes or even Wolves, so you need firearms for that.

Banning magazine sizes might work but what about the ones out there and let be clear people are not going to hand them over because the government says so.

So what is the answer?

Really, I do not know but I know the tipping point is coming and the backlash is going to be bad...

I guess charge an outrageous amount for a magazine and bullets.

Make bullets traceable and expensive to obtain
iu

I already have tens of thousands of rounds. Don't need anymore. In fact, I may start selling them.

In my personal opinion, and I understand how this may come across to many people here, one of the most long-term sustainable solutions to gun violence is mass culture and lifestyle change. To me that means finding the good and the Light of God inside of all of us and prioritizing that over all else. I know how this may sound to a lot of people and I can understand the idealistic nature in it, but the simple truth is that if more people prioritized God in their life every single day and not look to man or the internet or violence for answers then culture could change for the better. Look at nearly all of these people who commit these acts of violence and there is a lot missing from their lives including, and most importantly, the acceptance of the Light that is or was inside of them all along and what that means for them and others around them. Just my personal opinion of course, and while I do support efforts of gun control not much will change without a cultural change as well.
Explain what gun control will do.

It could make it more difficult for people who are struggling with specific issues to get a gun which could, in theory, be enough of a time delay to then help them change their mind about an act of violence on themselves or others and potentially seek help. Sometimes a day can make a world of difference for people who are acting impulsively.
Great answer except you don't show how you will do that and how it will keep them from getting guns. HOW will you do it and HOW will it work?

I'm not entirely sure how to do it to be honest. I know there are currently waiting periods and despite that violence still occurs. Laws and regulations can help but it's also why I said a culture change in some way is necessary too.

On gun violence? I'm serious.

What do we do?

Nobody wants to surrender any of their rights or weapons, and a good deal of people want to confiscate those rights and weapons altogether. I see both positions as extreme and untenable. Before you start screaming Molon Labe or Don't Tread on Me or LET'S BAN ALL THE GUNS!!!!1!!11!!!, finish reading the rest of the this post.

Moving on.

Do we enforce the gun laws we already have? How many are there? How many have been passed that aren't being enforced?

On the other hand, what can be done to stop gun violence without infringing on anyone's rights?

I am getting disillusioned by this. Nobody seemingly wants to do anything constructive except hunker down in their trench and maintain their rigid stance. The middle ground is lava.

I want a solution and I want to breach this impasse we are at. Will anyone take on the challenge?
Keep all the bolt action rifles, pump action shotguns, revolvers and single action pistols. Recognize that high capacity magazines and semi-automatic firing systems have had their day but have wrecked too much havoc to be deemed virtuous.

Stop the patchwork system of gun laws. Someone makes a straw man purchase of ten Glock 9mm in Ohio and drives them up to Detroit to be sold on the streets. Ridiculous! No more than one firearm purchase per citizen per month nationally.

Stop importing guns. American manufacturers are doing a sterling job keeping us in weaponry.

Add to the criminal code any crime committed with a gun gets an additional 15 year sntence imposed above the sentence for the crime itself.

Register all guns so the state will know who to call up for their well regulated militias.

Tax the hell out of ammunition to pay for more cops and data bases tracking gun violence.

Review and renew any gun legislation after 15 years to assess their effectiveness.

What do we do?

Nobody wants to surrender any of their rights or weapons, and a good deal of people want to confiscate those rights and weapons altogether. I see both positions as extreme and untenable. Before you start screaming Molon Labe or Don't Tread on Me or LET'S BAN ALL THE GUNS!!!!1!!11!!!, finish reading the rest of the this post.

Moving on.

Do we enforce the gun laws we already have? How many are there? How many have been passed that aren't being enforced?

On the other hand, what can be done to stop gun violence without infringing on anyone's rights?

I am getting disillusioned by this. Nobody seemingly wants to do anything constructive except hunker down in their trench and maintain their rigid stance. The middle ground is lava.

I want a solution and I want to breach this impasse we are at. Will anyone take on the challenge?
I think Montana's gov Bullock had some valid points about universal checks and temporary restraining orders to keep people away from guns. I agree with him that there's no rational need for a rifle that can shoot upwards over 20 rounds without reloading. Even shooting at varmits, is six rounds isn't enough, it's long gone anyway. But I don't see a way realistically to enforce that kind of law.

Explain what gun control will do.

It could make it more difficult for people who are struggling with specific issues to get a gun which could, in theory, be enough of a time delay to then help them change their mind about an act of violence on themselves or others and potentially seek help. Sometimes a day can make a world of difference for people who are acting impulsively.
Great answer except you don't show how you will do that and how it will keep them from getting guns. HOW will you do it and HOW will it work?

I'm not entirely sure how to do it to be honest. I know there are currently waiting periods and despite that violence still occurs. Laws and regulations can help but it's also why I said a culture change in some way is necessary too.
In other words, just like the government, you have no idea how it will help.

What do we do?

Moving on.

Keep all the bolt action rifles, pump action shotguns, revolvers and single action pistols. Recognize that high capacity magazines and semi-automatic firing systems have had their day but have wrecked too much havoc to be deemed virtuous.

Stop the patchwork system of gun laws. Someone makes a straw man purchase of ten Glock 9mm in Ohio and drives them up to Detroit to be sold on the streets. Ridiculous! No more than one firearm purchase per citizen per month nationally.

Stop importing guns. American manufacturers are doing a sterling job keeping us in weaponry.

Add to the criminal code any crime committed with a gun gets an additional 15 year sntence imposed above the sentence for the crime itself.

Register all guns so the state will know who to call up for their well regulated militias.

Tax the hell out of ammunition to pay for more cops and data bases tracking gun violence.

Review and renew any gun legislation after 15 years to assess their effectiveness.
Come take mine. Why do you filth always want to punish the law-abiding?

What do we do?

Moving on.

I think Montana's gov Bullock had some valid points about universal checks and temporary restraining orders to keep people away from guns. I agree with him that there's no rational need for a rifle that can shoot upwards over 20 rounds without reloading. Even shooting at varmits, is six rounds isn't enough, it's long gone anyway. But I don't see a way realistically to enforce that kind of law.
Outlaw magazines with over 10 round capacity...NATIONALLY

Aren't most of these white male mass shooters also Christians? Dylan Roof prayed with his victims.

I don't know what their true faith actually was. Calling yourself a Christian and actually living as a Christian are not always the same thing for many people. Violence against others is not a Christian act.

How weird...that's what Muslims say about ISIS and other terror groups...

What do we do?

Moving on.

Outlaw magazines with over 10 round capacity...NATIONALLY

Troll fails again.

What do we do?

Moving on.

Everybody's a law abiding citizen right up until they pull the tigger.

When are you going to awake to the fact the American people are sick and tired of living in fear of gun violence? You got bolt action rifles and shotguns for sport. Revolvers and single action pistols for defense. Your right to bear arms is not infringed.

You can't have a fully automatic machine gun now. Are your rights infringed? You can't have a rocket propelled grenade launcher now. Are your rights infringed. Abrams A-1-A tank idling in the driveway? Hell no! Are your rights infringed?

What do we do?

Moving on.

When are you going to awake to the fact the American people are sick and tired of living in fear of gun violence? You got bolt action rifles and shotguns for sport. Revolvers and single action pistols for defense. Your right to bear arms is not infringed.

You can't have a fully automatic machine gun now. Are your rights infringed? You can't have a rocket propelled grenade launcher now. Are your rights infringed. Abrams A-1-A tank idling in the driveway? Hell no! Are your rights infringed?
When are you idiots going to realize that making people more helpless will not make them safer. And your bullshit arguments were debunked decades ago, and besides, criminals don't obey laws.

What do we do?

Moving on.

When are you idiots going to realize that making people more helpless will not make them safer. And your bullshit arguments were debunked decades ago,
You have revolvers, shotguns and bolt action rifles for defense. If someone does not have a semi-automatic firing system fitted out with a 100 round clip, are they then deemed to be "helpless"? Who's comin' to getcha, Rambo? Hordes of zombies?

OMG
Grace is back

What do we do?

Moving on.

Let the wise decide by making a high logic ability test for voters which would then be on par with the wise founders !!

You have revolvers, shotguns and bolt action rifles for defense. If someone does not have a semi-automatic firing system fitted out with a 100 round clip, are they then deemed to be "helpless"? Who's comin' to getcha, Rambo? Hordes of zombies?

I have no objection to restricting magazine capacity over 20 - 30 rounds. I have no reasonable use for larger mags, well unless I'm in WWIII or a civil war I guess.

67 percent of Americans support an assault weapon ban
Among Republicans, 46 percent support, 46 percent oppose

A stunning number lands in the middle of the gun debate - CNNPolitics

Among Republican women -- one of the key swing voting blocs heading into 2020, a majority (54%) support an assault weapons ban, while just 36% oppose it. And even a majority of people in gun-owning households (53%) support an assault weapons ban.

Forum List

Back