What is the point of Preseason Football

What is the point of Preseason Football ??????

If last night's SEA/SD exhibition is any meaningfull example it is to give the Green Bay Packers nightmares in preparing for the season opener at the CLink.

The Hawks scored on every possession in a 41-14 lambasting of the Chargers...who took it to the Cowgirls 27-7 a week earlier.

The Chargers must have thought they really had something going on this season with the surprising ease in which they dispatched he hapless team in Dallas.

Then reality set in in Seattle as they discovered how the Broncos felt in the Super Bowl.

The "point" is to test relative strengths without consequense.

"What is the point of Preseason Football ??????"

It appears to serve the role of foreplay for a certain class of sport fan...

Go Broncos!

Really...aside from degenerate gamblers and lining the owner's pockets with more money....is there a point to playing the games?

Talent evaluation in game situations seems to be the best football-based reason for having these exhibitions. If that is the case, I propose we do the following....

Turn the first two games into public scrimmages. Still have referees so they get their training in as well but instead of having a kick off then running an offense until the drive is stopped/scored then running a defense until a drive is stopped or they score; why not simply say that each team gets 60 snaps (15 alternating offense and defensive series that last 4 plays each).

In last night's game, the Jaguars got 68 offensive plays to 56 for Chicago. So the Chicago defense got 68 plays and the Jags defense got 56. Did the coaches get to see their players? Maybe; maybe not. Perhaps the J'ville coach was banking on getting more defensive series and perhaps the Chicago coach was banking on seeing his offense run more plays.

In a system where the coach is assured of 60 offensive plays and 60 defensive plays,
they can schedule when their prospects are going to be in the game. This will allow the coaches to make sure each prospect gets playing time.

For the fans, it extends the season, gives all a chance to see who will stay and who will go, the different looks on both sides of the ball and besides it is exciting.

Exciting? I usually find preseason games about as exciting as baseball. :lol:

I got that same feeling reading your post. :lol: It really is a personal preference, I get something out of it.

For the fans, it extends the season, gives all a chance to see who will stay and who will go, the different looks on both sides of the ball and besides it is exciting.

Exciting? I usually find preseason games about as exciting as baseball. :lol:

I got that same feeling reading your post. :lol: It really is a personal preference, I get something out of it.

Yeah, but reading my post took a lot less than 3 hours. ;)

Purpose of Preseason

1. Evaluate your starting QB

2. Listen to Announcers talk about expectations for upcoming season

3. Background Noise after the starters are out

Also the refs have to practice their flag throws so they will have it down packed by week 1:D

If last night's SEA/SD exhibition is any meaningfull example it is to give the Green Bay Packers nightmares in preparing for the season opener at the CLink.

The Hawks scored on every possession in a 41-14 lambasting of the Chargers...who took it to the Cowgirls 27-7 a week earlier.

The Chargers must have thought they really had something going on this season with the surprising ease in which they dispatched he hapless team in Dallas.

Then reality set in in Seattle as they discovered how the Broncos felt in the Super Bowl.

"What is the point of Preseason Football ??????"

It appears to serve the role of foreplay for a certain class of sport fan...

Go Broncos!

There you are my precious... You with the Magic Words... ^^^^^
I hope you are watching on the afternoon of Sunday September 21st the last day Peyton Manning plays professional football.

Really...aside from degenerate gamblers and lining the owner's pockets with more money....is there a point to playing the games?

Talent evaluation in game situations seems to be the best football-based reason for having these exhibitions. If that is the case, I propose we do the following....

Turn the first two games into public scrimmages. Still have referees so they get their training in as well but instead of having a kick off then running an offense until the drive is stopped/scored then running a defense until a drive is stopped or they score; why not simply say that each team gets 60 snaps (15 alternating offense and defensive series that last 4 plays each).

In last night's game, the Jaguars got 68 offensive plays to 56 for Chicago. So the Chicago defense got 68 plays and the Jags defense got 56. Did the coaches get to see their players? Maybe; maybe not. Perhaps the J'ville coach was banking on getting more defensive series and perhaps the Chicago coach was banking on seeing his offense run more plays.

In a system where the coach is assured of 60 offensive plays and 60 defensive plays,
they can schedule when their prospects are going to be in the game. This will allow the coaches to make sure each prospect gets playing time.

The answer to your question is quite obvious.

The whole point of preseason football is so that HUGGY can break down every Seahawks preseason game for the rest of us, in great detail.

We all get the latest updates on undrafted rookies, low-tier free agents, and every other scrub and wannabe who has a snowball's chance in hell of making the Seahawks final roster.

How could NFL football get any more riveting and intense than that?

Plus, as an added bonus this season, HUGGY is including the latest updates on openly GAY football players. Apparently these players are "special", because they become sexually excited when they are showering with their teammates. :eek:

HUGGY, you are a good sport. I thought you would take offense to what I wrote, but instead you thanked me.

As I said a long time ago, I admire the passion you have for your Seahawks. I had the same passion for the Cleveland Browns back during the Schottenheimer/Kosar days.

The answer to your question is quite obvious.

The whole point of preseason football is so that HUGGY can break down every Seahawks preseason game for the rest of us, in great detail.

We all get the latest updates on undrafted rookies, low-tier free agents, and every other scrub and wannabe who has a snowball's chance in hell of making the Seahawks final roster.

How could NFL football get any more riveting and intense than that?

Plus, as an added bonus this season, HUGGY is including the latest updates on openly GAY football players. Apparently these players are "special", because they become sexually excited when they are showering with their teammates. :eek:

HUGGY, you are a good sport. I thought you would take offense to what I wrote, but instead you thanked me.

As I said a long time ago, I admire the passion you have for your Seahawks. I had the same passion for the Cleveland Browns back during the Schottenheimer/Kosar days.

Right back at you !!! This is the time of year that I either enjoy the promise of an exciting winning season or dread the upcoming games when my Hawks will surely break my heart.

Honestly I never thought the Seahawks would make it back to the Super Bowl in my lifetime. The last two seasons have been manna from heaven and it appears the good times will keep on rolling in Seattle for at least another couple of seasons.

Pete Carroll, John Schneider and of course the luckiest find in the 2012 draft..Russell Wilson have changed everything. We are extremely fortunate.

The "point" is that the Seattle/San Diego is NOT a "meaningful" example. The "other HUGGY" said so himself in an earlier posting.

:dig:

The "point" is that the Seattle/San Diego is NOT a "meaningful" example. The "other HUGGY" said so himself in an earlier posting.

:dig:

"Other HUGGY"???

Oh !!!! That must be why I am having trouble logging onto this site since the revamp.

I have been getting this message ""The loggon "HUGGY" is in use...please try another name"" .... LOL

What a treat !

Seahawk Offensive Coordinator Darrell Bevell was just on a local radio station for half an hour. Meaningless preseason jibberish ?

Seemed happy about the Sea/SD exhibition. Never said the word "meaningless" even once.

Talked about Percy Harvin in relationship to the other receivers, Doug Baldwin, How Harvin has opened up the play calling this season over last season.

That translates to a boost in stats for a certain Russell Wilson.

Touched on Lynch, backup RBs.... Not happy about BU RB Christine Michael laying the ball on the carpet twice in preseason. Doesn't fortell good news for Michael.

Discussed the O-Line and the new RT Justin Britt and how the rookie has emerged from his first year OTA's ..Training Camp absorbing everything piled on him "sink or swim" and totally ready to assume a starting role. Still room to improve but clearly has won the job.

Claims improvement all across the board on O-Line. His observations on the Line were good news for Hawks fans as that alone was last season's biggest struggle.

Ya ..won't mean much to many here... especially it being preseason and everything.. Still great to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Fun stuff

Tonight it's all about the number ones. This is a tune up for the first regular season game. This one is about exposing any mistakes in time to correct them before the opening game that counts in two weeks.

This is the only preseason game the coaches and players would like to win.

The last and fourth game next week is just to give the few guys on a bubble a last look. It is very hard to make an NFL team off of how a guy plays in the last preseason game. They are playing against an opposing team that is fielding equally unqualified players desperately trying to make one last impression.

Next week's exhibition is when players get injured the most. No intelligent coach is going to risk the health of his multi-million dollar players subjecting them to the antics of desperate wannabees that will be working stocking shelves at Safeway in two weeks for $12 an hour if they are lucky.

If there was a point ...this week should have given the 32 teams a brief look at what shape their opposition was in going into the regular season.

In the much talked about NFC West the preseason ...especialy this week, has revealed a lot.

The Santa Clara 49ers... EEEGGGAAADDDSS !!!!

Scary bad ! What the hell is wrong with Colin Kaepernick ??? 49ers ones have scored around 10 points total in the last 3 exhibitions.
What the hell is wrong with the 9ers defense ??? They have less than two weeks to get it together. If they do not seriously step it up they will be mowed down and buried before we finish the first qtr of the season.

The Rams. WOW !! Just WOW !!

Sam Bradford is out for the season...again...

If the Rams didn't have bad luck they would have no luck at all.

AZ Cardinals.. Just watched ...

Palmer looked lathargic. He made Andy Dalton who couldn't throw for a TD in the first half either look great by comparrison.

Seattle Seahawks.. outscored last two opponents 75-20

Just about all of Seattle's scoring coming from the ones in the first two qtrs of each exhibition. Just about all opposition points coming in 4th qtrs against Seahawks that won't even be on the team when the first regular season whistle blows.

Number ones are in mid season form with nary a significant injury. Green Bay is coming to town for the opener Thursday night next week. They will be walking into a buzz saw. If last season's form is still true the Packers will be stunned and it will take 2 weeks to a month to get over it. Rodgers isn't getting any younger..this won't be good for his aging heart.

Forum List

Back