What is the point of having military bases leftover from previous wars?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I generally feel that most of our military presence in the world is unnecessary since they are leftovers from wars from several generations back. I always kind of thought that if the war is over with that we retract but why do we have bases left over from WWII and the cold war. THose are long over with so why are they still needed? Who does this make happy?

I generally feel that most of our military presence in the world is unnecessary since they are leftovers from wars from several generations back. I always kind of thought that if the war is over with that we retract but why do we have bases left over from WWII and the cold war. THose are long over with so why are they still needed? Who does this make happy?
It is that military industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us about. It is all about sucking the money out of our country.

• Banned
It is that military industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us about. It is all about sucking the money out of our country.

Have you notice that in the last two or three generations that military values have been institutionalized into us. I'm not knocking the military or anything but before FDR and WWII Americans were, I think, were pretty non-militeristic when compared to today. It just wasn't an issue as it is today.

Which bases did you have in mind?

They want to makesure nazism doesnt come back.

• Banned

We can start with Europe. Can't they defend themselves? The orient...who cares about that place. Middle-east...we are going to have to be there a long time in order to kill every single one of the terrorist.

Have you notice that in the last two or three generations that military values have been institutionalized into us. I'm not knocking the military or anything but before FDR and WWII Americans were, I think, were pretty non-militeristic when compared to today. It just wasn't an issue as it is today.
There was something I noticed about the 2008 elections. Virtually all of the presidential candidates:
Ron Paul (R)
Dennis Kucinich (D)
Ralph Nader (Independent)
Bob Barr (Libertarian)
Cynthia McKinney (Green)
Chuck Baldwin (Constitution)
Wanted to close all foreign military bases and bring those troops home. This would be a multi billion dollar "stimulus" to our economy without costing us any more money.

Only the two corporate stooge candidates, Obama and McCain, were opposed.

What seems to be the problem? Does the left worry about the expense? Barry Hussein spent more money on a never ending apology tour of the world than the cost to maintain of foreign U.S. military bases. It should be noted that Truman and MacArthur screwed up the conflict in Korea to such an extent that U.S. presence is still necessary to keep NK from invading the South after 65 years. The hypocrites on the left didn't complain about Russia's "presence" in Germany after WW2 even when they built a freaking wall and shot Germans in the back for trying to escape.

We can start with Europe. Can't they defend themselves? The orient...who cares about that place. Middle-east...we are going to have to be there a long time in order to kill every single one of the terrorist.

Do you realize how few bases we have now compared to just a few decades a go? I guess Russia is not a threat. China? Nope! No problems with ISIS or Al Qaeda.

Let's just do away with our military. They never contribute anything to our nation.

Do you realize how few bases we have now compared to just a few decades a go? I guess Russia is not a threat. China? Nope! No problems with ISIS or Al Qaeda.

Let's just do away with our military. They never contribute anything to our nation.

Two answers for your first paragraph..... Fat Man II and Little Boy II. Fuck with us, we NUKE your ass.

Closing foreign bases means more troops to patrol our borders here at home.

The Russians have always been and always will be untrustworthy. The Middle East will be for a long time a potential powder keg We have to be able to deploy from closer than our shores.
On the cultural side. Having our people present on the soil of our allies allows those people to become accustomed to the people and culture of those with which they must interact.
Consider the turmoil potential should we decide to close those installations and bring our people home.
I don't necessarily agree with all of this. But I do understand. There's a difference.
In an ideal world, these nations would have the responsibility of their own self defense. The world is not an ideal place.

Can you express yourself in a more simplistic manner?

When oceans were difficult to cross and air transport was not yet invented for military purposes, we here in the states had little with which to be concerned.

wow. Ok. I will leave this thread with this. You are so very naive and uninformed

Two answers for your first paragraph..... Fat Man II and Little Boy II. Fuck with us, we NUKE your ass.

Closing foreign bases means more troops to patrol our borders here at home.

China and Russia gave up their nukes years ago? Right? [/sarcasm]

Our troops are not border guards. That would be the Border Patrol.

My first orders out of AIT were for Seneca, and then my orders were changed and I was sent to this desolate place:

Sierra Army Depot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
feature_story_2_photo_2_(sierra).jpg

What a desolate place! However, I'm willing to bet that a lot of local wildlife are thrilled to death with it.

America Still Has Hundreds of Military Bases Worldwide. Have They Made Us Any Safer?

In the Persian Gulf alone, the US has major bases in every country save Iran. There is an increasingly important, increasingly large base in Djibouti, just miles across the Red Sea from the Arabian Peninsula. There are bases in Pakistan on one end of the region and in the Balkans on the other, as well as on the strategically located Indian Ocean islands of Diego Garcia and the Seychelles. In Afghanistan and Iraq, there were once as many as 800 and 505 bases, respectively. Recently, the Obama administration inked an agreement with new Afghan President Ashraf Ghani to maintain around 10,000 troops and at least nine major bases in his country beyond the official end of combat operations later this year. US forces, which never fully departed Iraq after 2011, are now returning to a growing number of bases there in ever larger numbers.

Story @ America still has hundreds of military bases worldwide. Have they made us any safer?

Forum List

Back