What is the movie(s) you've been watching lately?

"I care a lot" 2020

In the first few minutes you start to hate Marla Grayson, played by Rosamund Pike. She is a fascist who genocides the vulnerable part of society - the elderly and the sick. She steals from the elderly, humiliates and abuses them, restricts them in all their basic rights, while cleverly backing up her actions with the approval of state and social institutions.
For some reason, the screenwriter and director thought that she is a hero and the viewer should empathize with her and admire how she cleverly with a smarmy partner protect their business - stealing the elderly, and defeats the men and the Russian mafia. In the confrontation between the crook and the bandits, she wins victory after victory, not yielding to them in nastiness. Such a superwoman Marla, which and in the fire does not burn, and in the water does not sink.
And if the actions of the Russian mafia leader can be explained (by affection for his mother and the desire to save his purse, which is the mother), then to explain the fascist cruelty to the old people of Marla's character by her self-interest alone is not enough.
In spite of the screenwriter's and director's idea, as a viewer you empathize with the prosaic anti-heroes in the form of Russian bandits, deliberately caricatured and helpless. And all because their hunt is aimed at a heroine even more disgusting than they are.

In general, during 95% of the movie's timing, the viewer is shown the adventures of the abomination. And during all this time you are waiting for retribution for this Nazi, though from the bad Russian guys and the hero Peter Dinklage. But no, the screenwriters go on and on, continuing the march of the invincible Marla ...
It seems that the denouement should have put everything in its place. But still, questions remain. And the main one: why do we need this Marla Grayson as a hero and not as an anti-hero, if there is no condemning her existence message from the creators, and not just a cartoon thriller of one evil fighting another evil?

Playbill for the upcoming performance "Cleopatra" at the theater in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.

y3z7y4.jpg

"The New Look":
"Style Revolution 2024. Amazing movie. A massive attempt to launder the "classic" French fashion designers from their collaboration with the Nazis.
As the blurb says, "1940s, occupied Paris. Christian Dior and his contemporaries like Coco Chanel, Pierre Balmain and Pierre Balmain and Cristobal Balenciaga overcome the horrors of World War II and lay the foundations of modern fashion."
Yep. And here's from other sources, "In addition to collaborating with the Nazis, Chanel was loudly and vehemently anti-jewish and even tried to capitalize on the nazi takeover of jewish businesses and property. It was then that she tried to take Chanel No. 5 away from the Wertheimers." And so on. But it's useful to watch to understand how movie propaganda is made today.

'The Brothers Karamazov' Mosfilm's adaptation form 1968 with English subtitles. Uploaded on youtube in excellent 2k quality free of charge

I like Erskin Caldwell based movies.Characters I can relate to.:)

Tina louise best known as Ginger from Gilligans Island but to me this part is her best work:)

Last edited:

1931 version of Waterloo Bridge- Mae Clark starring in this version. She is best known for playing Baron Frankenstein's wife and Public Enemy where James Cagney smashes a grapefruit in her face. This movie is a war Drama. Mae Clark does well as the main character. I enjoyed it. There are later versions of this movie it is a good story.

Not really a movie so much as a Limited Run Series, but I enjoyed Masters of the Air which ran you through WWII through the lens of the bomber pilots from the same base in England. I was kind of surprised with how much I liked it. Lots of flying with not so much on the ground drama (but some)

Saw a very interesting documentary on the making of Unsolved Mysteries the other night. It was on Tubi--which I think is probably one of the best apps for streaming (paid or not paid). Good BTS footage, some oh-damn moments. It brought up some of the haunting episodes that I had forgotten about.

I am on a big geek out over the new Dune.
Was a huge fan of Frank Herbert's books and the new movie is the best adaptation to date of what was once considered an unfilmable novel.
A few minor differences in the story line, but visually stunning.

Watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix and so far find it intriguing.

Forum List

Back