What is the future of Philosophy?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jwoodie, Aug 2, 2018.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    I have always been interested in philosophy as it applies to logic, but not so much for the musings of individuals attempting to fill voids in scientific knowledge. For example, the Roman poet and philosopher Lucretius postulated the existence of atoms nearly 2,000 year ago. Although he displayed amazing insight (and eloquence), modern science has rendered this speculation obsolete. Rather, I find greater value in the calculations of Copernicus, who disproved an Earth-centric universe.

Today, what are the values of philosophical prognostications (except as they relate to scientific research)? Perhaps because of a lack of personal investment in any particular result, I am more willing to let the secrets of the universe unfold than to worry about things that are not yet revealed.

Your thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. BuckToothMoron

BuckToothMoron Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,454
    7D2AEFC7-81DB-4985-B15A-1C06153EAD63.jpeg

3. jwoodie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    No need to post personal pictures,

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. MisterBeale

MisterBeale Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    Could Multiple Personality Disorder Explain Life, the Universe and Everything?
    A new paper argues the condition now known as “dissociative identity disorder” might help us understand the fundamental nature of reality
    Could Multiple Personality Disorder Explain Life, the Universe and Everything?

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. jwoodie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    The concept of "universal consciousness" seems more like a religious theory. On the other hand, "distributed intelligence" may apply to more than bee hives. Do you see a connection between the two?

6. MisterBeale

MisterBeale Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    If every particle of energy and matter in the universe has it's own consciousness, I don't see much of a distinction any more between science, philosophy, spirituality, religion, etc. . . .

7. jwoodie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    Can you define "consciousness" within this context?

8. Karl Rand

Karl Rand Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Has anyone satisfactorilly defined consciousness, possibly different from describing what it is we experience when we think we are conscious. I’m happy to see it as simple iteration.

9. Karl Rand

Karl Rand Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +320
    A context too strange for my tiny little mind.
    Has anyone satisfactorilly defined consciousness and what would constitute ’satisfactory’? Possibly different from describing what it is we experience when we think we are conscious. I’m happy to experience it as simple iteration . Until neorology nails it the disciples of Philosophy of Mind will probably toss this one back and forth till hell freezes over and maybe even then want to argue with the neurologists.

10. DustyInfinity

DustyInfinity Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I don't know much about defining 'Consciousness' but I was always amazed by how relevant the questions asked hundreds of years ago still apply today. What should government do, what is good and evil, what is just, ect. As for logical though in relation to science, I don't think you need to be a chemist or a mathmatician to ask interesting questions. As a matter a fact, scientists tend to make creative stories to explain what they don't understand. I think philosophy will stay relevant as long as there are people. I don't see any difference from asking questions in Ancient Greece, to asking questions now, or hundreds of years in the future.

• Winner Winner x 1