CDZ What Is the Downside to Christianity?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Weatherman2020, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Faun

Faun Messiah

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,603
    Not exactly. There was a Sabbath where his disciples worked by plucking corn. He proclaimed himself the lord of the Sabbath, so it was ok.

Luke 6 (KJV)

6 And it came to pass on the second sabbath after the first, that he went through the corn fields; and his disciples plucked the ears of corn, and did eat, rubbing them in their hands.

2 And certain of the Pharisees said unto them, Why do ye that which is not lawful to do on the sabbath days?

3 And Jesus answering them said, Have ye not read so much as this, what David did, when himself was an hungred, and they which were with him;

4 How he went into the house of God, and did take and eat the shewbread, and gave also to them that were with him; which it is not lawful to eat but for the priests alone?

5 And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

2. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,977
    it was kernels of WHEAT. Picking stuff that grows and eating on the spot is bad form for the very religious-----not a
    capital crime. The answer Jesus gave is consistent with his
    status as a PHARISEE------believe it or not. One need not drop dead of hunger for a minor issue. The allusion to Kind David is kinda like Talmudic logic. I doubt the quotation----it seems really badly translated to me. "LORD" ?
    can you give it to me in Aramaic.

3. Faun

Faun Messiah

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,603
    I just copied the text from Luke. I believe it was in Matthew, probably recalling the same event, who said it was wheat. Just another one of the many inconsistencies in the New Testament.

4. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,252
    Every theology has two dimensions -- the sociology and the catechism. The downside to Christianity is the same as the downside to every theology: the dogma, the catechism. Dogma is the downside as a result of at least two of its consequences/implications:
    • Dogma asks one to accept a variety of things for which there is no rational basis for condoning. It's probable everything came from something/"someone" or some things/one(s), but that that something(s)/-one(s) is God as depicted in the Bible, Torah or Quran is far from certain.
    • Dogma inspires the absurd notion that merely believing in the verity of the dogmatic pronouncements of a theology -- while otherwise and at one's discretion being consistently or periodically reprobate, felonious, and/or misdemeanant -- is all that's needed to save one's immortal soul, or to send one to Heaven to be accompanied by some quantity of virgins, or whatever. "You can be as bad as you wanna be, so long as you believe in me." ??? I'm sorry, but there's no way any god having whatever greater intellect than we and expecting his/her adherents to not destroy themselves set that low the bar for one's Earthly comportment.

5. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,215
    Corn was another term for wheat in archaic English

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,977
    yes----but not in Aramaic. Wheat when picked and eaten raw----is HULLED by rubbing it between ones hands----a casual snack. ------the act on saturday is not exactly polite but not a BIG DEAL. It is not considered theft. Another manipulation of raw wheat is TOASTING it on an opened fire-------if they had done that-----it would have been REALLY impolite

7. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Educating Libs Since 1978

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,822
    Dude, in the middle of all that I’m having an hour long email Q&A exchange with a Hollywood Producer. We couldn’t talk or meet because we are both multi tasking. His living is about communication. Like my hobby is writing books. At no time did he have a problem with my English. As was other posters in this thread who discussed the OP. Only you 3 wanted to play The I don’t understand but since this is the only topic in USMB I’ll spend my day hounding him game.

And BTW he likes my ideas. I’ll go to his house Thursday to discuss things in more detail.

8. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,977
    be careful-----some of those "agents" are known to be
    aggressive WIT DA HANDS

9. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Educating Libs Since 1978

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,822
    You have at least two misguided faiths then.

And Ken Ham is right. If the assumption is no God, thus a giver of morality, then sky is the limit on what we can do.

10. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,215
    Wow I am so impressed.....lol.....

So again- what was the point of this thread?

Oh right- not the title of the thread but:
    Only distortions of the faith are negative.