CDZ What Is the Downside to Christianity?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Weatherman2020, Dec 4, 2017.

1. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,975
    right----that's why DEEP DOWN-----EVERYONE KNOWS ---that the font of ALL TRUTH is------MUHUMMAD. (ask any muslim)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Educating Libs Since 1978

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,821
    So God will have nothing to do with me because I eat bacon?

3. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,213
    Honestly- stop trying to get others to give you pot and booze.

4. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Educating Libs Since 1978

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,821
    Islam as is all other religions prevent followers from hearing the message of Jesus. I on the other hand can walk into any other place of worship - if allowed - and tell my Pastor all about it without fear of being rebuked.

5. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,975
    there is a jewish dictum------very important.
    *** FIRST---in all things----DON'T BE STUPID***
    really---true---it is sorta Talmudic--sorta
    understood

6. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,975

can you try reading that paragraph and -----RE-WRITING it so that it makes sense? btw---what is 'the message of jesus'?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,213
    Three posters asked- and you danced like a dervish to avoid answering the questions- just a short sampling of some of us asking

Pogo

I hadn't figured out what the OP's point was but this is a good guess --- apparently he wants to know why the NT is not "valid", whatever that means.

Pogo

If you try actually reading the post ------- it says that I haven't figured out what your point is.

Or to put it another way, you failed to articulate it.

What in the wide world of fuck does "a downside to Christianity" mean?

Pogo

Actually what's obvious is that you can't articulate what your point here is. I asked you twice, others did too, and all you have in response is sophomoric put-downs and then declaring yourself a winner.

theDoctorisin

I will ask, as many others have - what the fuck is your point with this thread?

Are you trying to convince non-believers to become Christians? Are you just whining that not everyone shares your beliefs?

Exactly- thank you- what the fuck is the point of this thread?

theDoctorisin

No, I really don't.

Why won't you explain it? Are you trying to have a serious discussion?

It doesn't appear so.

Syriusly

Can't rebutt the incoherant.

Why are you so afraid to try to explain your OP?

Syriusly

What is the point of the OP?

If you wont' bother to answer the question- then this thread doesn't belong in the CDZ

Syriusly

The title of the thread is 'what is the downside to Christianity'- the question is what does that mean?

In your OP- you don't actually elaborate on that- you just make an argument that there is no motivation for the New Testament to be falsified- which has is a different issue.

Then you bring up the 'validity' of the New Testament at the end.

You are all over the place here- here are the three different concepts you seem to be raising:
    1) What is the downside to Christianity?
    2) What motivation was there to fabricate the New Testament
    3) Validity of the New Testament

The content of your OP does not address the title of your OP.

So again- what is the point of your OP? I see at least three different issues listed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Faun

Faun Messiah

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,602
    That’s His Law, so yeah.

9. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,213
    Hell Jews can't stop hearing about the message of Jesus- you guys won't leave them alone.

Any Jew can walk into any church and ask about Jesus- without any problems. As can any Buddhist.

I don't know about the others- so tell me what happens if a Jainist asks about Jesus?

10. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,837
    What evidence?

A religious person might say:

1. The Biblical God is real.
      There is no evidence to support any of the claims made in the Bible concerning the existence of a god. Any ‘evidence’ proposed by theists to support the Bible’s various historical and supernatural claims is non-existent at best, manufactured at worst.

The Bible is not self-authenticating; it is simply one of many religious texts. Like those other texts, it itself constitutes no evidence for the existence of a god. Its florid prose and fanciful content do not legitimise it nor distinguish it from other ancient works of literature.

The Bible is historically inaccurate [2], factually incorrect, inconsistent [2] and contradictory. It was artificially constructed by a group of men in antiquity and is poorly translated, heavily altered and selectively interpreted. Entire sections of the text have been redacted over time.

See also: Visualisation of Bible Contradictions (must read), Argument from the Bible, Criticisms of the Bible, Consistency of the Bible, A Compendium of Disbelief, Deconversion: The Bible and A History of God (both must watch), BBC The History of God.

Origins of the Bible: PBS Buried Secrets, CH4 Who wrote the Bible? (a must watch).

“Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” – Isaac Asimov

2. Biblical Jesus was real.
      There is no contemporary evidence for Jesus’ existence or the Bible’s account of his life; no artefacts, dwellings, works of carpentry, self-written manuscripts, court records, eyewitness testimony, official diaries, birth records, reflections on his significance or written disputes about his teachings. Nothing survives from the time in which he is said to have lived.

All historical references to Jesus derive from hearsay accounts written decades or centuries after his supposed death. These historical references generally refer to early Christians rather than a historical Jesus and, in some cases, directly contradict the Gospels or were deliberately manufactured.

The Gospels themselves contradict one-another [2] on many key events and were constructed by unknown authors up to a century after the events they describe are said to have occurred. They are not eyewitness accounts. The New Testament, as a whole, contains many internal inconsistencies as a result of its piecemeal construction and is factually incorrect on several historical claims, such as the early existence of Nazareth, the reign of Herod and the Roman census. Like the Old Testament, it too has had entire books and sections redacted.

The Biblical account of Jesus has striking similarities with other mythologies and textsand many of his supposed teachings existed prior to his time. It is likely the character was either partly or entirely invented [2] by competing first century messianic cults from an amalgamation of Greco-Roman, Egyptian and Judeo-Apocalyptic myths and prophecies.

Even if Jesus’ existence could be established, this would in no way validate Christian theology or any element of the story portrayed in the Bible, such as the performance of miracles or the resurrection. Simply because it is conceivable a heretical Jewish preacher named Yeshua lived circa 30 AD, had followers and was executed, does not imply the son of a god walked the Earth at that time.

The motivation for belief in a divine, salvational Jesus breaks down when you accept evolution:

“Now, if the book of Genesis is an allegory, then sin is an allegory, the Fall is an allegory and the need for a Savior is an allegory – but if we are all descendants of an allegory, where does that leave us? It destroys the foundation of all Christian doctrine—it destroys the foundation of the gospel.” – Ken Ham
    Why there is no god