What is the deal with Oliver North?

"The Lebanon hostage crisis refers to the systematic kidnapping in Lebanon of 96 foreign hostages of 21 national origins – mostly American and western European – between 1982 and 1992. At least 8 hostages perished in captivity: some murdered, while others died from lack of adequate medical attention to illnesses..."

"The original reason for the hostage-taking seems to have been 'as insurance against retaliation by the U.S., Syria, or any other force' against Hezbollah, which is thought responsible for the killing of 230 Americans and 58 Frenchmen[7] in the Marine barracks and embassy bombings in Beirut.[8]

"Other reasons for the kidnappings or the prolonged holding of hostages are thought to be 'primarily based on Iranian foreign policy calculations and interests' particularly the extraction of 'political, military and financial concessions from the Western world',[9] the hostage takers being strong allies of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

"The tight security measures taken by the hostage-keepers succeeded in preventing the rescue of all but a handful of hostages,[10] and this along with public pressure from the media and families of the hostages led to a breakdown of the anti-terrorism principle of no negotiations, no concessions by American and French officials.

"In the United States, the Reagan administration negotiated a secret and illegal arms for hostage swap with Iran known as the Iran-Contra Affair."

Lebanon hostage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrong - Carter started the Iran - Iraq War. Carter had Saddam attack Iran. Saddam got the keys to the city of Detroit, MI during the Carter administration. The fighting started under Carter's administration. Carters support of the Shaw is what got our embassy attacked & hostages taken.

Carter didn't start the Iran/Iraq war unless you want to blame him for stopping support for a brutal dictator as the cause. Carter stopped support of the Shah of Iran.

The real reason Carter stopped the support of the Shah of Iran.

The reason was Carter knew there was a civil war going on and it didn't look good for America to be helping out a brutal crackdown. It is also clear why Carter didn't publicly withdraw support for the Shah, Israel lobby were big supporters of the Shah.

If you want to know about Ollie North watch this debate between North and Washington, DC black talk radio host Joe Madison, from Nov. 1996. They are debating CIA, drugs, weapons Contras and their link, if any.

Joe Madison Show - C-SPAN Video Library

The debate starts after 60 minutes and Larry King is the moderator.

Back when Iran/Contra was in the news, I didn't pay as much attention to politics as I do now. I remember thinking that Col. North lied to Congress, and there was some question about wether Reagan knew about what was happening in Nicaragua. At the time, even though I was a conservative back then, I believed, that he deserved punsihment for the lies. So now I find out that he is a hero of the neocons and he also has a radio talk show.

I am willing to be educated on this issue, so if you have strong opinions on Oliver North, good or bad, I would like to hear them. Please exoplain your opinion.

Thanks.

He broke the law but got immunity in exchange for testimony.

The FOX gave him a job.

But why is he a hero? I mean other than his military service.

Back when Iran/Contra was in the news, I didn't pay as much attention to politics as I do now. I remember thinking that Col. North lied to Congress, and there was some question about wether Reagan knew about what was happening in Nicaragua. At the time, even though I was a conservative back then, I believed, that he deserved punsihment for the lies. So now I find out that he is a hero of the neocons and he also has a radio talk show.

I am willing to be educated on this issue, so if you have strong opinions on Oliver North, good or bad, I would like to hear them. Please exoplain your opinion.

Thanks.

Ollie did indeed lie to congress and a good many other people. He was given immunity from prosecution for that very same congressional testimony. A disgrace to the uniform.

These types do have a tendency to become right wing heroes.

False. Lying, fraud, and corruption are prerequisites for Democrats.

Thanks.

He broke the law but got immunity in exchange for testimony.

The FOX gave him a job.

But why is he a hero? I mean other than his military service.
North stood at attention in his Marine uniform and told Congress that his intentions were good. That's why the right regards him as a hero.

So Reagan's "solution" involved selling weapons to Iran, breaking the law and lying about it? What a swell guy! Sounds like the kind of guy any bone-head Conservative would admire.

Now I understand why Obama claims to be like Reagan.

Thanks.

The Right wing love for North has always been a puzzle to me. If you are to take the word of the hero of the conservative movement, President Reagan, who claimed that he knew nothing of North's actions, you have to believe that North betrayed not only his country by orchestrating the sale of arms to Iran (they're the bad guys), but he also betrayed Reagan's trust. If you assume that Reagan either authorized or was privy to North's activities, then you have to believe that Reagan looked into the camera while addressing the nation and lied to the American people on a matter of state which resulted in arming our enemies against US law and then siphoning off the profits (which was also illegal) to arm the contras (also illegal).

Yes, this leaves me conflicted, and would be why as a Conservative, I don't get the admiration of North.

its because they KNOW Ronny lied and knew all about this.

They just dont know how transparent they are

Thanks.
"The scandal began as an operation to free seven American hostages being held by a terrorist group with Iranian ties connected to the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution.

"It was planned that Israel would ship weapons to Iran, and then the U.S. would resupply Israel and receive the Israeli payment. The Iranian recipients promised to do everything in their power to achieve the release of the U.S. hostages." (in Lebanon)

"The plan deteriorated into an arms-for-hostages scheme, in which members of the executive branch sold weapons to Iran in exchange for the release of the American hostages.[2][3]

"Large modifications to the plan were devised by Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North of the National Security Council in late 1985, in which a portion of the proceeds from the weapon sales was diverted to fund anti-Sandinista and anti-communist rebels, or Contras, in Nicaragua...[4][5]"

"Several investigations ensued, including those by the United States Congress and the three-man, Reagan-appointed Tower Commission.

"Neither found any evidence that President Reagan himself knew of the extent of the multiple programs.[2][3][7] In the end, fourteen administration officials were indicted, including then-Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger. Eleven convictions resulted, some of which were vacated on appeal.[12]

"The rest of those indicted or convicted were all pardoned in the final days of the presidency of George H. W. Bush, who had been vice-president at the time of the affair.[13]"

Iran

Thanks for the informative post.

I realized now that my title "hero of the Neocons" in the OP was actually the answer to my question in a way.

Thanks.

Why are we still talking about this guy...? he's a perfect example of a self-important jerk who's been given too much attention for too many years...

Ollie belongs in the forgotten dustbin of history...

Only because I was recently surprised to hear he had a talk show. I thought he was already in the dustbin.

Thanks.

Ollie did indeed lie to congress and a good many other people. He was given immunity from prosecution for that very same congressional testimony. A disgrace to the uniform.

These types do have a tendency to become right wing heroes.

I agree, his record in uniform was rotten:

North served as a platoon leader in Vietnam where, during combat service, he was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star and two Purple Heart medals.

It was a pathic sight to see Reagan pretending he was all confused and left out of the loop.

They just managed to keep the dirt off him.

He resported to looking like a dupe to get offf

Thanks.

The Right wing love for North has always been a puzzle to me. If you are to take the word of the hero of the conservative movement, President Reagan, who claimed that he knew nothing of North's actions, you have to believe that North betrayed not only his country by orchestrating the sale of arms to Iran (they're the bad guys), but he also betrayed Reagan's trust. If you assume that Reagan either authorized or was privy to North's activities, then you have to believe that Reagan looked into the camera while addressing the nation and lied to the American people on a matter of state which resulted in arming our enemies against US law and then siphoning off the profits (which was also illegal) to arm the contras (also illegal).

Yes, this leaves me conflicted, and would be why as a Conservative, I don't get the admiration of North.

Yanno, this convo is a lot more civilized when someone cannot scream "OBAMA! DUMBOCRAT!"

Even tho I lean dem...I could never figure that out myself. Some cons will defend him to the death

With some of these posts I could almost hear the Marine Hymn playing in the background and see flags waving. Wonder if any attempts have been made to put Ollie North on the Iwo statue? Maybe a little one at the bottom?

Yanno, this convo is a lot more civilized when someone cannot scream "OBAMA! DUMBOCRAT!"

Even tho I lean dem...I could never figure that out myself. Some cons will defend him to the death

Well, he's military, and he stood up to attacks from democrats. I can almost feel some admiration for him for that alone. I'm sure that has a whole lot to do with the admiration for him by some on the right. It's partisanship. Now, you have to admit that the GOP doesn't have a monopoly on blind partisanship.

Forum List

Back