CDZ What is Capitalism

Agit8r

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2010
As far as I can tell, it is a political system in which highly gifted commoners can, with a lot of hard work, AND a bit of luck, attain equality before the law with those who were born into privilege.

Did I forget anything essential?

I mean sure, some may want to invoke whimsical terms like "free market" and "merit based," but lets try to stick with what has actually ever existed in reality.

As far as I can tell, it is a political system in which highly gifted commoners can, with a lot of hard work, AND a bit of luck, attain equality before the law with those who were born into privilege.

I mean sure, some may want to invoke whimsical terms like "free market" and "merit based," but lets try to stick with what has actually ever existed in reality.

Yes, you forgot that capitalism is not any kind of political system.

I suppose it depends on your definition, but I'm not convinced of the need for semantic clarification. We live under a legal system that judges between an individual and his/her neighbor based upon who has the greater accumulation of capitals. What should we call that instead? Plutocracy?

Capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"apitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.[1][2][3] Characteristics central to capitalism include private property, capital accumulation, wage labor, voluntary exchange, a price system, and competitive markets.[4][5] In a capitalist market economy, decision-making and investment is determined by the owners of the factors of production in financial and capital markets, and prices and the distribution of goods are mainly determined by competition in the market"

Glad to help.

I suppose it depends on your definition, but I'm not convinced of the need for semantic clarification. We live under a legal system that judges between an individual and his/her neighbor based upon who has the greater accumulation of capitals. What should we call that instead? Plutocracy?

No. We call that a misunderstanding.

"apitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.[1][2][3] Characteristics central to capitalism include private property, capital accumulation, wage labor, voluntary exchange, a price system, and competitive markets.[4][5] In a capitalist market economy, decision-making and investment is determined by the owners of the factors of production in financial and capital markets, and prices and the distribution of goods are mainly determined by competition in the market"

Glad to help.

It's a nice theory. History shows it to be as impracticable as it's "opposite" --communism.

Glad to help.

It's a nice theory. History shows it to be as impracticable as it's "opposite" --communism.

No, HIstory shows that Capitalism kicks ass and produces vast wealth.

I think you forgot that its based on private ownership which has always begged the question who sold it to them and who was the first owner?

Glad to help.

We've been largely capitalistic for a while, and it's been quite practical, more than practical, beneficial. Or is our propensity for Nobel prizes just a fluke

American Leadership in Science, Measured in Nobel Prizes [Infographic]

Sorry world that our capitalism has raised the standard of living for all of you, and fed the globe. But I guess it isn't practical, because there are big corps not playing by the rules because our politicians let them. But blame the baby, not the bath water.

Last edited:

Glad to help.

This is true. It makes a few wealthy beyond belief and kicks the ass of the masses

Glad to help.

History shows that free markets have never existed. This country was built on mercantilism. Same with the old empires of Europe.

Glad to help.

We've been largely capitalistic for a while, and it's been quite practical, more than practical, beneficial. Or is our propensity for Nobel prizes just a fluke

American Leadership in Science, Measured in Nobel Prizes [Infographic]

Sorry world that our capitalism has raised the standard of living for all of you, and fed the globe. But I guess it isn't practical, because there are big corps not playing by the rules because our politicians let them. But blame the baby, not the bath water.

I'm curious as to how you related those two topics.

Glad to help.

History shows that free markets have never existed. This country was built on mercantilism. Same with the old empires of Europe.

Massive internal Free Markets though.

And how are those old European Empires doing?

Glad to help.

This is true. It makes a few wealthy beyond belief and kicks the ass of the masses

Yes. In practice there isn't a great difference between the machine politics of America and the Soviet system. A few climb the corporate ladder in one. A few climbed the party ladder in the other. Some subtle differences in the policies regarding each empire's vast frontiers, notwithstanding.

Glad to help.

Yes. In practice there isn't a great difference between the machine politics of America and the Soviet system. A few climb the corporate ladder in one. A few climbed the party ladder in the other. Some subtle differences in the policies regarding each empire's vast frontiers, notwithstanding.
The biggest difference I see is that capitalism requires people to self delude. They have to pretend that all the marketing, politics, keeping up with jones etc. have not made them slaves to the system.

Glad to help.

That isn't capitalism. Capitalism isn't biased. The masses have just as much opportunity with capitalism as the poor.
One of my friends I grew up with is about to buy a 300K dollar house and didn't even graduate high school..

Glad to help.

The biggest difference I see is that capitalism requires people to self delude. They have to pretend that all the marketing, politics, keeping up with jones etc. have not made them slaves to the system.

There is that. Our propaganda seems more participatory in nature.

Humans are greedy. Capitalism is the only way to go, but with minor regulation. Monopolies and corporatist legislation does no one any good except the disgustingly rich.

Glad to help.

That isn't capitalism. Capitalism isn't biased. The masses have just as much opportunity with capitalism as the poor.
One of my friends I grew up with is about to buy a 300K dollar house and didn't even graduate high school..

Kruschev is also said to have humble beginnings. Such anecdotal evidence doesn't speak to the merit of that system any more

Forum List

Back