CDZ What is Capitalism

Capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"apitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.[1][2][3] Characteristics central to capitalism include private property, capital accumulation, wage labor, voluntary exchange, a price system, and competitive markets.[4][5] In a capitalist market economy, decision-making and investment is determined by the owners of the factors of production in financial and capital markets, and prices and the distribution of goods are mainly determined by competition in the market"

Glad to help.

It's a nice theory. History shows it to be as impracticable as it's "opposite" --communism.
We've been largely capitalistic for a while, and it's been quite practical, more than practical, beneficial. Or is our propensity for Nobel prizes just a fluke

American Leadership in Science, Measured in Nobel Prizes [Infographic]

Sorry world that our capitalism has raised the standard of living for all of you, and fed the globe. But I guess it isn't practical, because there are big corps not playing by the rules because our politicians let them. But blame the baby, not the bath water.

Is anyone actually denying what are the pros of capitalism? I'm nearly 100% certain that the source of contention is how to mitigate the problems it causes.

There's no need to sarcastically apologize for the beneficial outcomes capitalism has made possible. Atonement is needed for the deleterious outcomes and for expecting people to make the kinds of choices required by the binary tone of your comment. One might also want to consider that the standard of living for "all of [us]" has not in fact been raised, all the more so if one doesn't measure that standard in terms of material goods and technology.

Humans are greedy. Capitalism is the only way to go, but with minor regulation. Monopolies and corporatist legislation does no one any good except the disgustingly rich.

Human nature is but a reflection of environment. Greed is the result of the individual being devalued by society. Even the revered traditions of our forefathers regard it as a vice.

"apitalism is an economic system based on private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.[1][2][3] Characteristics central to capitalism include private property, capital accumulation, wage labor, voluntary exchange, a price system, and competitive markets.[4][5] In a capitalist market economy, decision-making and investment is determined by the owners of the factors of production in financial and capital markets, and prices and the distribution of goods are mainly determined by competition in the market"

Glad to help.

It's a nice theory. History shows it to be as impracticable as it's "opposite" --communism.

No, HIstory shows that Capitalism kicks ass and produces vast wealth.
This is true. It makes a few wealthy beyond belief and kicks the ass of the masses
That isn't capitalism. Capitalism isn't biased. The masses have just as much opportunity with capitalism as the poor.
One of my friends I grew up with is about to buy a 300K dollar house and didn't even graduate high school..
Of course capitalism is biased. It depends on who owns the resources and the information. Buying a home and living in it is not a good example. You forget that you dont really own it. Youre just glorified renting it until you pay off the true owner. Thats another way how capitalist weave an illusion in the minds of the masses. When you buy a home and rent it out thats when you truly exercise capitalism.

Humans are greedy. Capitalism is the only way to go, but with minor regulation. Monopolies and corporatist legislation does no one any good except the disgustingly rich.
A mixture of capitalism and communism is the way to go.
IDC what anyone says, communism has MANY good concepts to it. The only thing about communism is, we have 330 million people in this country. And 7 billion on the planet.. It just couldn't work..
Plus, communism and technology don't mix..

IDC what anyone says, communism has MANY good concepts to it. The only thing about communism is, we have 330 million people in this country. And 7 billion on the planet.. It just couldn't work..

If you ask me, the forgotten middle road is democracy--where the market is regulated by the people.

Glad to help.

No, HIstory shows that Capitalism kicks ass and produces vast wealth.

History shows that free markets have never existed. This country was built on mercantilism. Same with the old empires of Europe.
I agree that it hasn't been truly implemented in a purist sense, but that's not the question. The question is, is there less or more efficacy in a market where ideas can compete? We're holding a conversation, across the country, simultaneously with 1000s of other people right now. Our poor live better than most of the middle class of our southern neighbors. We have 2 different private companies that are making reusable space rockets. Our people are the most charitable people there has ever been on the face of this planet. We are undoubtably the main military force that keeps Europe safe (mind you many of their militaries are not sufficient enough to be able to protect themselves).

And Venezuela is shutting down it's power grid for a week or so.

What do you mean communism and technology dont mix. I helped set up a city that has free wifi everywhere you go.

If you ask me, the forgotten middle road is democracy--where the market is regulated by the people.

The pretense that Capitalism is a political system opposed to democracy has no basis in reality.

Our poor live better than most of the middle class of our southern neighbors.

That is mostly true. But in many of these countries, the government itself is placed in the marketplace--for sale to the highest bidder. And THAT is the direction that our political system has been heading for some 35 years.

Glad to help.

We've been largely capitalistic for a while, and it's been quite practical, more than practical, beneficial. Or is our propensity for Nobel prizes just a fluke

Sorry world that our capitalism has raised the standard of living for all of you, and fed the globe. But I guess it isn't practical, because there are big corps not playing by the rules because our politicians let them. But blame the baby, not the bath water.

I'm curious as to how you related those two topics.
I relate them because much of our science, has been very wildly beneficial to the whole entire world. One big one (despite how you feel about this type of food) is GMOs. GMOs have wildly increased our ability to feed the masses. Not to mention, there are a lot of impoverished third world people out there walking around with android smartphones. Which is a product that 5 years ago wasn't even in the majority of Americans hands, is now affordable and improving the lives of those in 3rd world countries.

The pretense that Capitalism is a political system opposed to democracy has no basis in reality.

Read some history of what is called the Gilded Age, and you will see that they are in opposition.

Glad to help.

I relate them because much of our science, has been very wildly beneficial to the whole entire world. One big one (despite how you feel about this type of food) is GMOs. GMOs have wildly increased our ability to feed the masses. Not to mention, there are a lot of impoverished third world people out there walking around with android smartphones. Which is a product that 5 years ago wasn't even in the majority of Americans hands, is now affordable and improving the lives of those in 3rd world countries.

And they are why, slowly, every farmer is becoming a slave.

Read some history of what is called the Gilded Age, and you will see that they are in opposition.

IN what way?

That is mostly true. But in many of these countries, the government itself is placed in the marketplace--for sale to the highest bidder. And THAT is the direction that our political system has been heading for some 35 years.
And I can agree with that. Actually it's been headed that way for longer. Well it's been happening back and forth for a long time. I'm not saying our system is perfect right now, I don't think it is. But you have to recognize that it's been damn good, and even now it's still pretty good. Still plenty of room for improvement. Politicians and business men have been playing nice with each other for a long time, it is something that we need to guard against. But we need to guard ourselves from both the politician in search of power and the business men in search of power.

Glad to help.

Doesnt that "improving" and "beneficial" claim rest on perspective? I thought you were saying that capitalism was the reason that we had better scientist. I always thought it was because we were able to draw from different ethinic ways of thinking to become more creative.

Glad to help.

I can agree with you there too actually, but GMOs still have feed an insurmountable amount of starving children across the globe. More so than we could do before. And they have also kept many farmers in business, by keeping a steady stream of production despite unfavorable weather conditions that would have put them through some hard times

And I can agree with that. Actually it's been headed that way for longer. Well it's been happening back and forth for a long time. I'm not saying our system is perfect right now, I don't think it is. But you have to recognize that it's been damn good, and even now it's still pretty good. Still plenty of room for improvement. Politicians and business men have been playing nice with each other for a long time, it is something that we need to guard against. But we need to guard ourselves from both the politician in search of power and the business men in search of power.

Yes. Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Glad to help.

Doesnt that "improving" and "beneficial" claim rest on perspective? I thought you were saying that capitalism was the reason that we had better scientist. I always thought it was because we were able to draw from different ethinic ways of thinking to become more creative.
Was that the case in the renaissance period??? No it was a shift in more freedom from the select few in govt and religious circles, to the individuals themselves that ushered humanity into an explosion of art and science.

I can agree with you there too actually, but GMOs still have feed an insurmountable amount of starving children across the globe. More so than we could do before. And they have also kept many farmers in business, by keeping a steady stream of production despite unfavorable weather conditions that would have put them through some hard times
I think your attributing altruistic reasons where they arent really existing. If they were giving away the food I could see your point but in actuality they are just making money off starving kids. More marketing. No one stops to ask what are the results of those GMO in other countries. A population that cant feed itself and therefore dependent on the large corporations for more goods. Later down the road they are now a fresh market of consumers. Which oddly enough makes the corporations wealthier.

Forum List

Back