What is an Assault Weapon?

The both of you are right, and missing the point. "Assault weapons" is a phrase desperately seeking a definition beyond a political one
`
True. I don't personally use the term and seldom ever hear it, even from my hunting friends. I don't care what it means. Gun...umm, aficionados, like arguing about it.
`

Remember, no law I said a panacea. Speed limit laws have not eliminated speeding. Laws prohibiting fraud or perjury have not, God knows, stopped those crimes. But laws have been proven to slow the incidence of crime.

For that matter, a law—part of this nation's highest law—forbidding government from infringing the people's right to keep and bear arms, has not stopped the government from infringing this right. By definition, criminals do not obey the law. That is what makes them criminals.

For self defense you need a pistol without a magazine, not one with a magazine or a rifle with a magazine unless only used
These have all been used as assault weapons......

31XS3IKxtNL.jpg

3 women murdered in grisly hammer attack at NY home

Breakaway_Balsa_Baseball_Bat_grande.jpg

Man Accused Of Killing Family With Baseball Bat: 'I Freed Them'

wusthof-classic-chefs-knife-c.jpg

Knife-wielding attackers kill 29 at China train station - CNN

latest

Judge sentences man in tire iron beating death to life without...

Man sentenced after beating boss to death with shovel

keep trying.

You sound remarkably like those brain dead students arguing gun control.

The biggest hurdle is, of course, arriving at a definition all can agree on. Some gun advocates will argue that those without a working knowledge of the minutiae of firearms should have no voice due to their lack of expertise. This, of course, is as silly as saying if you don't know what type of tacks an upholsterer used, you should not comment on the comfort of an armchair. Or if you don't know the proper timing sequence of a 351 Cleveland V-8, you have no voice in a discussion of automobile safety.

To me the definition should coalesce around three factors:

The rate of fire. This is what puts the 'mass' in 'mass shooting'. No one is capable of murdering so many people in a short time with a knife or club, or bolt action rifle.

The muzzle velocity. A round fired from some weapons is substantially slower and delivers less impact measured in foot pounds per second than other weapons. The lethality of such rounds is exponentially greater than others.

And finally, practicality beyond sporting weapons. Some guns are designed to hunt quail or pheasant or turkey. Some are designed to hunt deer or moose or mountain goat. Some weapons are designed for target shooting. Punching holes in paper or shattering clay pigeons. But some weapons are designed to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

And, for heaven's sake, let us not get bogged down with cosmetics. Grips, stocks and flash suppressors do not impact the design purpose of assault weapons.
And someone else, proudly trumpeting his ignorance.

You DO realize that the "assault weapons" you live in terror or aren't actually all that powerful...right?

The US pop. in the 1800's (minus Indians and blacks) was about 5 million , the pop. of WI. The 2nd amendment was for militias in states, now we have the NG.

I realize its big business, but so what.
The 2nd amendment was for militias in states, now we have the NG.
You need to reread the 2nd
I did reread it. Who commands your militia and where do you train?

So what does a well regulated militia have to do with the individuals right?
They are separated in the 2nd amendment.

The US pop. in the 1800's (minus Indians and blacks) was about 5 million , the pop. of WI. The 2nd amendment was for militias in states, now we have the NG.

People way smarter than you say otherwise.

They are not separated in the 2nd. The amendment is one sentence.

They are not separated in the 2nd. The amendment is one sentence.

Wrong!

The well regulated militia today is the NG.

All citizens were armed back then, not all citizens were part of the militia.

All able bodied men were to have an arm at their home in case of war against another state, the French, the Brits or the Indians.

The well regulated militia today is the NG.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

All citizens were armed back then, not all citizens were part of the militia.

All able bodied men were to have an arm at their home in case of war against another state, the French, the Brits or the Indians.

Yes and women and children and older men had firearms and knew how to use them.
The right of the people not just the militias.

WHy don't you reject gun grabbers listen to someone who TELLS U WTF an assault weapon is as MSM got you bafoons so fkn clueless you can't even tell how stupid you look and are.

A video posted to Facebook Friday debunking the term “assault weapon” has gone mega viral.

Viewed nearly 7 million times at the time of publication, the video, created by Facebook user Danny Farnsworth, dismantles the myth that the AR-15 is any different than countless other rifles.

EPIC: Gun Owner Dismantles Left’s AR-15 Talking Points in Viral Facebook Post

Forum List

Back