What is an "assault weapon"?

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't know what one is. What makes a weapon an assault weapon?

I was under the impression that all firearms purchased for self protection are assault weapons, because, well, that is why they were purchased.

My knowledge of guns is limited to the shotgun I own, so if someone could educated me on what an assault gun is, that would be great. I purchased that shotgun for home protection, so technically it is an assault weapon.

Last edited:
I don't know the legal definition but there is a difference between a protective weapon and an assault weapon.

we can make the laws.

its the powwer the founders gave us.

WE deside what the definition is

I don't know the legal definition but there is a difference between a protective weapon and an assault weapon.

No there isn't.

If I shoot you while you are breaking into my house any gun I use is a defensive weapon.

we can grandfather the guns in.

You can keep it if you already own it.

You cant sell it or give it away.

you have to keep it or give it to the government.

when you die your family gets the price that it last sold for and hands it over.

In a few years there will be none in any hands

But, using my protective weapon on an intruder, I am assaulting him/her.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but this "assault weapon" rhetoric has the possibility of going way too far.

Here's how the state of CT defines assault weapon(s)...

Criminal Jury Instructions

ASSAULT WEAPON

"Assault weapon" means any one of the following:

1. Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 Carbien type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 Series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; USI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol.

2. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

3. Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;

ii. a pistol grip;

iii. a bayonet mount;

iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

v. a grenade launcher.

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

ii. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

iii. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

iv. a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

v. a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescoping stock;

ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

4. A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3), or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3), may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Source: General Statutes § 53-202a (a) (applies to §§ 53-202b -- 202k).

Commentary: The term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable. General Statutes § 53-202a (b).

Link...ASSAULT WEAPON

when you die your family gets the price that it last sold for and hands it over.

You can't be this naive.

You can't be this naive.

and exactly why do you say that?

No there isn't.

If I shoot you while you are breaking into my house any gun I use is a defensive weapon.

If you shoot kids you are using an assault weapon.

Semantics.
Exactly. If you shoot kids (or anyone), you are using an assault weapon. So, any firearm would classify as an assault weapon.

You can't be this naive.

LOL...yeah, and be sure to be exact about it!

You can't be this naive.

The government doesn't know how many guns I have, if I have any.
There is no way for the government to control how I dispose of my worldy possessions.

I don't know what one is. What makes a rifle an assault rifle?

I was under the impression that all firearms purchased for self protection are assault weapons, because, well, that is why they were purchased.

My knowledge of guns is limited to the shotgun I own, so if someone could educated me on what an assault gun is, that would be great. I purchased that shotgun for home protection, so technically it is an assault weapon.

Assault is intent under criminal law. Assault rifles are made for military, or law enforcement personnel. These models come with selectors and are fully automatic. Any firearm available to citizens after 1984, are not assault models. They are semi-automatic.

The federal/stat governments use this term interchangeably because it implies intent, and they therefore, can negotiate such hilarious and erroneous jargon such as folding buttstocks, pistol grips, etc...

Any firearm picked up for the intent of assaulting others is an assault weapon. The same as any firearm picked up in self defense is a defense firearm. These words are implied for intent, they mean nothing else except to distinguish between military and citizen models.

Last edited:
No shit? A bayonette mount???????????????

Perfect, one can grill chicken and veggies and remain safe from Islamo Fascists. Some people are saying the IF's are coming for us. Once one community in our nation falls to them, every other community will fall like a row of dominos.
Most rifles with bayonette mounts are antiques. So, those who collect antiques will not be allowed to do so. Plus, war reenactors use them.

Pa-leeze.

Last edited:
I don't know what one is. What makes a rifle an assault rifle?

Then you are just plain stupid.

An assault rifle is a rapid fire weopon designed for the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people very rapidly.

Your shotgun has, most likely, at a max, five shots. If plugged for hunting, three shots. More than adaquete for home protection. The AR-15 Bushmaster has a 30 shot clip standard. You can fire all 30 shots in under 10 seconds. And it takes 2 seconds to pull the expended clip out, and install a new clip.

The ammuniton that the crazy used in that school was designed to deliver all of the energy within the body of the victim. He literally was blowing those children apart.

We have millions of these weopons among our citizens now. In just last week, there were three mass shootings involving assault weopons. They are the choice of the crazies.

Forum List

Back