What is an "assault weapon"?

I don't know what one is. What makes a rifle an assault rifle?

I was under the impression that all firearms purchased for self protection are assault weapons, because, well, that is why they were purchased.

My knowledge of guns is limited to the shotgun I own, so if someone could educated me on what an assault gun is, that would be great. I purchased that shotgun for home protection, so technically it is an assault weapon.

Then you are just plain stupid.

An assault rifle is a rapid fire weopon designed for the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people very rapidly.

Your shotgun has, most likely, at a max, five shots. If plugged for hunting, three shots. More than adaquete for home protection. The AR-15 Bushmaster has a 30 shot clip standard. You can fire all 30 shots in under 10 seconds. And it takes 2 seconds to pull the expended clip out, and install a new clip.

The ammuniton that the crazy used in that school was designed to deliver all of the energy within the body of the victim. He literally was blowing those children apart.

We have millions of these weopons among our citizens now. In just last week, there were three mass shootings involving assault weopons. They are the choice of the crazies.
Well, my Mossberg tactical holds nine rounds. I guarantee that if I ever use it, I will be assaulting someone. So, it's an assault weapon.

When I had to drive through Detroit six days a week, I had a baseball bat in my passenger seat...an assault weapon, too.

I don't know the legal definition but there is a difference between a protective weapon and an assault weapon.
But, using my protective weapon on an intruder, I am assaulting him/her.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but this "assault weapon" rhetoric has the possibility of going way too far.

Yes, you are trying to be obtuse.

I have owned and used guns for 57 years. There is a clear differance between these modern weopons of war and the guns I grew up hunting with.

An assault weopon fires large numbers of bullets rapidly. And can be reloaded in under two seconds.

Si, I don't know why you and the other 'Conservatives' are wanting to play this game at this time, but you are going to lose badly. The Sandy Hook School slaughter has changed the game. It is a tipping point, and we are going to get these weopons off of our streets.

:lmao:

Good luck, retard. You're gonig to need it. All you reactionaries are going to do is make more victim zones. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know the legal definition but there is a difference between a protective weapon and an assault weapon.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but this "assault weapon" rhetoric has the possibility of going way too far.

I have owned and used guns for 57 years. There is a clear differance between these modern weopons of war and the guns I grew up hunting with.

An assault weopon fires large numbers of bullets rapidly. And can be reloaded in under two seconds.

Si, I don't know why you and the other 'Conservatives' are wanting to play this game at this time, but you are going to lose badly. The Sandy Hook School slaughter has changed the game. It is a tipping point, and we are going to get these weopons off of our streets.
Well, Rocks, thanks for reading my mind. But, your got your wires crossed.

What defines an assault weapon? Any weapon, not just firearms, when their intent is to protect oneself and/or one's property is an assault weapon.

I was under the impression that all firearms purchased for self protection are assault weapons, because, well, that is why they were purchased.

My knowledge of guns is limited to the shotgun I own, so if someone could educated me on what an assault gun is, that would be great. I purchased that shotgun for home protection, so technically it is an assault weapon.

An assault rifle is a rapid fire weopon designed for the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people very rapidly.

Your shotgun has, most likely, at a max, five shots. If plugged for hunting, three shots. More than adaquete for home protection. The AR-15 Bushmaster has a 30 shot clip standard. You can fire all 30 shots in under 10 seconds. And it takes 2 seconds to pull the expended clip out, and install a new clip.

The ammuniton that the crazy used in that school was designed to deliver all of the energy within the body of the victim. He literally was blowing those children apart.

We have millions of these weopons among our citizens now. In just last week, there were three mass shootings involving assault weopons. They are the choice of the crazies.
Well, my Mossberg tactical holds nine rounds. I guarantee that if I ever use it, I will be assaulting someone. So, it's an assault weapon.

When I had to drive through Detroit six days a week, I had a baseball bat in my passenger seat...an assault weapon, too.

OK Si, I see where you are going. 20 children mean nothing to you. It is all politics and semantics.

We will have some sane gun laws before 2013 is done. And we will see you again in 2014.

OK Si, I see where you are going. 20 children mean nothing to you. It is all politics and semantics.

We will have some sane gun laws before 2013 is done. And we will see you again in 2014.
Doubtful that you see much of anything. And, negged for lying about my not caring about 20 children, asshole.

Internet political tough guy. :lmao:

You wont accomplish shit. Just like the last federal ban only increased crime.

Bleeding heart LOLberal iddiots - falling for the same nonsense over and over again, and always expecting a different result.

Good luck, retard. You're gonig to need it. All you reactionaries are going to do is make more victim zones. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bullshit. You assholes state this continually. Yet I grew up in a culture that hunted and used guns as tools.

It is not the people like myself that have created the brutal murder of our children, but people like you and Si, that play semantics games as parents bury their beautiful children. You and the NRA are accountable for these atrocities.

How are we going to get these weapons off of our streets? The only thing a new law will do is prevent the purchase of these weapons by law abiding citizens. There were between 3.3 and 3.5 MILLION of these rifles sold in the US since 1986. Are you going to send the cops out and confiscate all of them?

Last edited:

Bullshit. You assholes state this continually. Yet I grew up in a culture that hunted and used guns as tools.

It is not the people like myself that have created the brutal murder of our children, but people like you and Si, that play semantics games as parents bury their beautiful children. You and the NRA are accountable for these atrocities.

Those beautiful children were killed by a crazy who used legally purchased guns that he took after killing the owner, his mother. What fault of the NRA is that?

OK. Here is how we do it.

1. You have to get a license to own an assault weopon. The same license as for a fully automatic weopon. If you are caught outside your home with and assault weopon and no license, the weopon is confiscated and destroyed. You get jail time, and a felony offense on your record.

2. For all guns. If you store them irresponsibly, someone takes them and commits a crime with them, you own the crime.

3. We start identifying and treatiing the mentally ill within our population irregardless of their ability to pay. Far less costly than waiting untill they commit the unspeakable crimes. See, Si, I am looking out for you.

1. You have to get a license to own an assault weopon. The same license as for a fully automatic weopon. If you are caught outside your home with and assault weopon and no license, the weopon is confiscated and destroyed. You get jail time, and a felony offense on your record.

2. For all guns. If you store them irresponsibly, someone takes them and commits a crime with them, you own the crime.

3. We start identifying and treatiing the mentally ill within our population irregardless of their ability to pay. Far less costly than waiting untill they commit the unspeakable crimes. See, Si, I am looking out for you.
Still, what is an assault weapon?

Those beautiful children were killed by a crazy who used legally purchased guns that he took after killing the owner, his mother. What fault of the NRA is that?

The NRA encouraged the proliferation of the assault weopons within our society. Without any regard as too the consequences. They are accountable for the horror at Sandy Hook.

Damn them and their supporters.

Asshole.

Asshole.
Well, after a good helping of guacamole, my asshole might just be an assault weapon.

We seem to be getting somewhere.

Assault is intent under criminal law. Assault rifles are made for military, or law enforcement personnel. These models come with selectors and are fully automatic. Any firearm available to citizens after 1984, are not assault models. They are semi-automatic.

The federal/stat governments use this term interchangeably because it implies intent, and they therefore, can negotiate such hilarious and erroneous jargon such as folding buttstocks, pistol grips, etc...

Any firearm picked up for the intent of assaulting others is an assault weapon. The same as any firearm picked up in self defense is a defense firearm. These words are implied for intent, they mean nothing else except to distinguish between military and citizen models.

I was gonna say, a fire arm has to be fully automatic to qualify as an assault weapon right?

Si, you and your kind were soundly defeated on 6Nov12. You are going to suffer another defeat in 2014. Your advocacy of the murder of the children of this nation states all that needs to be said about your morality and ethics. You are fecal material.

Forum List

Back