What is a "Old Fart"

I have met a lot of stupid/unwise old people. The sheer egotism of assuming wisdom comes from age alone...or intelligence happens in the twilight years...
wow.

Frankly, the older a person is (at least online) the more hard-headed they are; the more they value their opinion, even if they aren't sure why they believe what they do. I mean...after all, Superchargers are Gimmicks, ONLY usefull in high alititudes and when towing...Since they are only used to adjust an engine's air/fuel ratio - to keep it in check.

:)

dmp said:
I have met a lot of stupid/unwise old people. The sheer egotism of assuming wisdom comes from age alone...or intelligence happens in the twilight years...
wow.

Frankly, the older a person is (at least online) the more hard-headed they are; the more they value their opinion, even if they aren't sure why they believe what they do. I mean...after all, Superchargers are Gimmicks, ONLY usefull in high alititudes and when towing...Since they are only used to adjust an engine's air/fuel ratio - to keep it in check.

:)

like you love to say to others...and by all means move past the high altitude comments whom ya seem to love to throw in my face! Grow up 'D' life doesn't revolve around your lovely rx8!

archangel said:
like you love to say to others...and by all means move past the high altitude comments whom ya seem to love to throw in my face! Grow up 'D' life doesn't revolve around your lovely rx8!

[admin hat =off]
What part of that do I like to say to others? the 'move past the high altitude comments' or the 'grow up' - I don't particularly say 'grow up' much.

You are correct - life revolves around my loved ones and friends; it's MY Life to humbly be the best friend and father I can be.

Life for ME is outside this board. Life for YOU seems to depend on making everyone on this board love you, and respect you - NOT for your well-thought-out opinions and viewpoints, but for ONE single factor you throw in the proverbial faces of everyone who participates in this forum. That single factor - that factor which YOU seem to believe gives you an 'out' when people call you on what you say?

"You are Old."

It's rarely "Well, I disagree - in my experience I've learned...blah blah blah..."

It's MOSLY "Well, You're some twit snot-nosed kid..you just don't understand because you're not 60 years old, like I am."

Which one of those represents the comments you tend to make? The latter, isn't it.

Start using more of the 'Well, I disagree - in my experience' attitude and fewer ppl will be annoyed or frustrated at you. READ entire posts. Twice if necessary to ensure you understand - I do that often. THEN reply. Then read your reply and see if it makes sense.
[admin hat = on]

Happy New Year! :)

dmp said:
[admin hat =off]
What part of that do I like to say to others? the 'move past the high altitude comments' or the 'grow up' - I don't particularly say 'grow up' much.

You are correct - life revolves around my loved ones and friends; it's MY Life to humbly be the best friend and father I can be.

Life for ME is outside this board. Life for YOU seems to depend on making everyone on this board love you, and respect you - NOT for your well-thought-out opinions and viewpoints, but for ONE single factor you throw in the proverbial faces of everyone who participates in this forum. That single factor - that factor which YOU seem to believe gives you an 'out' when people call you on what you say?

"You are Old."

It's rarely "Well, I disagree - in my experience I've learned...blah blah blah..."

It's MOSLY "Well, You're some twit snot-nosed kid..you just don't understand because you're not 60 years old, like I am."

Which one of those represents the comments you tend to make? The latter, isn't it.

Start using more of the 'Well, I disagree - in my experience' attitude and fewer ppl will be annoyed or frustrated at you. READ entire posts. Twice if necessary to ensure you understand - I do that often. THEN reply. Then read your reply and see if it makes sense.
[admin hat = on]

Happy New Year! :)

HEY----your sorta of a nice guy with your hat off !!!!!!!! :happy2:

Abbey Normal said:
418%20Old%20Fart.gif

snowblower5ih.jpg

OMG, Abbey..I can't compete with this... I'm a young old fart and I was going to try to answer that question, but............. I have to buy a new keyboard after that picture, I spit my drink all over the place.....:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

dmp said:
wow.

I agree. Being older means you are wiser than you were before. If you were a genius at 20, then at 60 you're a genius plus plus.

But if you're an idiot at 20, then at 60 you're an idiot or genius plus plus, or even somewhere in between. Old age is to be respected, but not given a free pass. "Trust me, I'm old" isn't a valid form of reasoning; it looks like a smokescreen.

It is possible to be old and not considered an old fart, and it is with these individuals our ears should be pointed, to pick up on the occassional bit of wisdom gleaned from a life lived.

I suppose if I had to define the one characteristic of an old fart, it's that old farts feel the need to unabashedly dispense their "wisdom" amongst anyone they deem worthy, usually unprovoked. As with all things in life (at least what my young, inexperienced, don't know how the world really works self has learned in my life), those who advertise the loudest and most often usually have the least to say. The ones you have to prod a little usually have the most.

Stephanie said:
OMG, Abbey..I can't compete with this... I'm a young old fart and I was going to try to answer that question, but............. I have to buy a new keyboard after that picture, I spit my drink all over the place.....:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:laugh: Me too Stephanie! Those of 'the golden years' that have most influenced me are not those that laugh or condescend, but rather give some allegory that may help bring clarity to a younger person's thinking or decision making process.

There is much to be learned from older folks that have LEARNED lessons, not just had 'tough times' or experiences in general. It's wisdom that counts and the ability to share it, without being an 'old fart.'

some took the opportunity to use humor...some to attack me personally...some had valid points... some took it personal...however if you reread my opener the term "Old Fart" was used in the 'enduring' sense...interesting to see how people react to a funny word combo!
I do not mind being called a "Old Fart" even though I do not lead my life as such...it's just a funny and sometimes cute phrase thrown out by those who care for you!..."Thats all folks" :crutch:

Shattered said:
You mean "endearing"?

that works too! I was referring to enduring as in:to suffer firmly or patiently...but your choice is much better...again thank you!

Forum List

Back