What is a lefty?

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
Most of us know that the political landscape is divided in left or right, but few realize why the left is called the left.

What is a lefty? Dictionary dot com says this: "of or belonging to the political Left; having liberal or radical views in politics".

We all know that on a political line, the left most dot represents lefties, and of course the right most dot represents EvMetro, but there is much more to the meaning of lefty. It also implies "not right", but there is much history in regard to what it means to be a lefty. Various cultures over the years have actually limited the use of the left hand to cleaning up after urinating or crapping, reserving the right hand for eating or for social interactions. Even today, many Muslims still think of the left hand as the unclean one, and use it to clean themselves with water after crapping.

In Christianity, those who God is not thrilled with are sent to the left (Mathew 25), and God's right hand is the favored one. Left also represents bad luck, and is considered impolite when somebody holds their eating utensils with the left hand.

In old English, Left was actually "lyft", which meant weak, foolish, lameness, and worthless. There is also the thing about having two left feet, which means you are clumsy, right? There is a lot implied when we talk about lefties, considering all the history and meanings behind this word. Did you know that in many cultures, children are forced to use their right hands? Even in Sweden where Islam is taking over, doing something with your left hand means to do something badly, and the word left translates to cheating or adultery.

Left also represents evil and satan, and there are all kinds of legends and myths about left being these things, so it is no wonder lefties like to side step this description. The problem here, is that left is the correct way to describe the people who are left on the political line. I am sure glad that I am a righty.

If you translate left to Dutch, left is "links". "Link" in Dutch means cunning, shifty, or risky, and of course a "linkerd" is a crafty devil...

I kinda like the Chinese meaning of the left path though, meaning immoral or unorthodox, which of course corresponds with the Korean meaning of "right", which is "morally proper".

From my own perspective I use the term "leftist" to differentiate between classical liberals from the extreme left. Unfortunately the dems seem to have left liberalism in the dust and opted to go full blown leftist.

Oh look, the "Waaa! Liberals are poopyheads!" deflection threads are popping up again.

Trump must be in big trouble.
And then there is this...

A 2001 study by Richard Green and Robert Young suggests that individuals with gender identity disorders (transsexuals) were significantly more likely to be left-handed (or at least less exclusively right-handed) than the general population. The study conjectured that elevated levels of testosterone during pregnancy may have decreased the asymmetry in the fetal brain, resulting in a greater tendency to left-handedness. A 2008 study also showed higher than average left-handedness among paraphiliacs (people who have extreme or atypical sexual urges, such as towards inanimate objects, children, unusual situations, etc).

Right, Left, Right, Wrong! - Other Handedness Issues - Handedness and Gender/Sexuality

Lefties, you guys are going to like this:
Throughout recorded history, the left has also been associated with the female and often, by further association, with the weak and the passive. Because right-handedness has always been so prevalent and so dominant, it has automatically become associated in many cultures with strength, power and activeness, traditionally masculine traits. The left, by default, therefore became the side of femininity, weakness and passivity.

Right, Left, Right, Wrong! - Other Handedness Issues - Handedness and Gender/Sexuality

From my own perspective I use the term "leftist" to differentiate between classical liberals from the extreme left. Unfortunately the dems seem to have left liberalism in the dust and opted to go full blown leftist.

bull... most democrats are centrist & certainly are corporate. that is the antithesis of liberalism. & that's why a lot of the working class have felt like they were abandoned by their party. the 'liberal' left hasn't existed in any big numbers since the days of carter. i practically bust a gut everytime obama or hillary are called 'liberals'.

Liberalism is a mental disorder. Liberals are always miserable, paranoid, blame others for their station in life. Even those few who manage to become successful tend to self destruct with drugs or alcohol. Half the time they can't even stand other liberals and war with each other.

Most of us know that the political landscape is divided in left or right, but few realize why the left is called the left.

What is a lefty? Dictionary dot com says this: "of or belonging to the political Left; having liberal or radical views in politics".

We all know that on a political line, the left most dot represents lefties, and of course the right most dot represents EvMetro, but there is much more to the meaning of lefty. It also implies "not right", but there is much history in regard to what it means to be a lefty. Various cultures over the years have actually limited the use of the left hand to cleaning up after urinating or crapping, reserving the right hand for eating or for social interactions. Even today, many Muslims still think of the left hand as the unclean one, and use it to clean themselves with water after crapping.

In Christianity, those who God is not thrilled with are sent to the left (Mathew 25), and God's right hand is the favored one. Left also represents bad luck, and is considered impolite when somebody holds their eating utensils with the left hand.

In old English, Left was actually "lyft", which meant weak, foolish, lameness, and worthless. There is also the thing about having two left feet, which means you are clumsy, right? There is a lot implied when we talk about lefties, considering all the history and meanings behind this word. Did you know that in many cultures, children are forced to use their right hands? Even in Sweden where Islam is taking over, doing something with your left hand means to do something badly, and the word left translates to cheating or adultery.

Left also represents evil and satan, and there are all kinds of legends and myths about left being these things, so it is no wonder lefties like to side step this description. The problem here, is that left is the correct way to describe the people who are left on the political line. I am sure glad that I am a righty.

There is no doubt in my mind that today's "Left" are mentally ill and genetically challenged. I believe most have major daddy issues and many have experienced personal trauma and self perpetuated hardships. Most have absolutely zero understanding of basic principles such as cause and effect and self accountability. It's always someone or something else's fault for their shortcomings.
How else can the bizarro, backward ideologies be explained?

There is no doubt in my mind that today's "Left" are mentally ill and genetically challenged. I believe most have major daddy issues and many have experienced personal trauma and self perpetuated hardships. Most have absolutely zero understanding of basic principles such as cause and effect and self accountability. It's always someone or something else's fault for their shortcomings.
How else can the bizarro, backward ideologies be explained?

That's what I'm saying liberals are fucking whacko.

I wish one of my kids was a lefty.... and could toss a ball at 95 m.p.h. with control.
Yes the right is associated with power, it makes complete sense considering the vast majority of people are righties and not southpaws.

The terms left and right came into popular usage during the French Revolution. The members of the National Assembly separated themselves either to the left or right of the king. Those on the right supported the monarchy those on the left supported revolution. The terms are still valid. The Democrat Party is not Leftist, they support the same ruling corporate class the right does.

Last edited:
The terms left and right came into popular jargon during the French Revolution. The members of the National Assembly separated themselves either to the left or right of the king. Those on the right supported the monarchy those on the left supported revolution. The terms are still valid. The Democrat Party is not Leftist, they support the same ruling corporate class the right does.

Lefties resent being called lefties, for a number of reasons, as you can see in my first few posts of this thread. The problem is, there is little that lefties can do to stop being called lefties. The reason why they are stuck with this label, is because lefties really are lefties. Even if they try to turn this appropriate label into forbidden hate speech, they will always be lefties.

The terms left and right came into popular jargon during the French Revolution. The members of the National Assembly separated themselves either to the left or right of the king. Those on the right supported the monarchy those on the left supported revolution. The terms are still valid. The Democrat Party is not Leftist, they support the same ruling corporate class the right does.

Lefties resent being called lefties, for a number of reasons, as you can see in my first few posts of this thread. The problem is, there is little that lefties can do to stop being called lefties. The reason why they are stuck with this label, is because lefties really are lefties. Even if they try to turn this appropriate label into forbidden hate speech, they will always be lefties.
I don't have a problem being called a Leftist. I resent all of you useful idiots that support the ruling corporate class, be you Republicans or Democrats.

I don't have a problem being called a Leftist. I resent all of you useful idiots that support the ruling corporate class, be you Republicans or Democrats.

Dependence breeds resentment.

Awesome...you're a total badass!

Forum List

Back