What is a conservative?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ThinkCritically, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ThinkCritically

ThinkCritically Open to opinion

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'm confused as to what conservative is? Its seems to me that it is almost like a Rorschach test. If you are a "conservative" let me know what makes a politician conservative. If you are not a "conservative" feel free to chime in, but keep the hate to a minimum please.

2. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    In the current context of political discourse?

The Founders and the Republic...The Constitution and it's tenants...

Individual Liberty.

Not ceding to groupthink for popular movements of the moment based upon cult of personality or knee-jerk reaction...

LAW guides our action(s) Not Mob Rule...

Pretty simple actually.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I really only care about fiscal conservativism when it comes to politicians. And, I quite like it if they understand what the Constitution means, and why the federal government does not get to legislate every fucking aspect of life.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Precisely. And just because they have the power of the purse doesn't mean they get to spend us as they see fit into oblivion...no matter thier cause.

5. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,348

Wait, let me add one:

Invade, destroy and occupy countries that annoy you (as long as they can't fight back). This is our planet and everyone must do things our way. Fill American body bags, destroy American military lives and families, waste trillions. Then tell us how you support the troops.

No charge for that one.

6. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

So, Obama is a Conservative?

7. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,348

I'm trying to think of a country that Obama invaded, occupied, destroyed, spent trillions on and destroyed the lives of thousands of American military families.

Has he been too slow getting out of the horrific shit that Bush got us into? Yes, you bet, absolutely. But he didn't put us there.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

While I believe in Fiscal Conservatism quite strongly, i also believe that the best government is that government that is closest to the people. As the remoteness of the government increases, access by the common man decreases.

So, education is something that needs to be handled locally. National control or even influence over education is wasteful and counter to efficiency. Please recall that the USA was in the top 2 or 3 in the world in educating its children prior to the death grip exerted by the Federal Government and the national unions.

Now we reside firmly in the mid 20's percentile in results but still at the top in cost.

There are things that are best handled by the Feds and these are spelled out in the enumerated powers. Beyond that, our federal government is a maze of waste and inefficiency.

Why are we sending money to Washington so Washington can send it back to us?

If the main responsibilities of governing our people is kept closer to the people, then the main corruption of our government will be more easily detected. Without concentrating the wealth of the country in Washington the blood suckers that bleed our wealth and corrupt our system will go away.

We will also have 50 approaches to most problems and we can examine the results and pick the best one(s).

Right now we have a monolithic central government that makes the wrong decisions on such a spectacular and expensive scale that we end up with things like Obamacare that are unconstitutional and bankrupting.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,766
    I'm sort of confused on that one myself, TC. I know what the word 'conservative' means, but I'm not sure how it compares with the political moniker. I don't see much in the way of consistent ideology flying under the 'conservative' banner. I think it's mostly about hating liberals, whatever 'liberal' means.

10. squinch

squinch Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    A conservative is one who conserves.