What if we didn't put Japanese-Americans in internment camps?

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
This came up over dinner...what if, during WW2, we didn't put them in camps...would they have been the victims of mob mentality?

:eusa_eh:

Do you honestly just sit there and think up scenarios where you think Americans would act deplorably? Are we disappointing you with our humanity at this time, and there's nothing bad enough to ponder?

This came up over dinner...what if, during WW2, we didn't put them in camps...would they have been the victims of mob mentality?

From some people, I'm sure they would have been. We were at war with Japan, among others. Others would not have that mentality I'm sure.

My great aunt had a Japanese friend in her dorm. She was at the movies when they heard about Pearl Harbor, after she got back to her dorm, the Japanese girl was gone, all her stuff moved out, in that short little time they had been at the movies. She never spoke to her again.

Good question, Ravi. The internment of Japanese Americans is one of those things from the WWII era that we need to reflect on. And give pause. And hope that people give support or rally against something based on more than irrational fears, wishes or group think mentality. Some people think that the Holocaust never happened, either. How much effort do you go through to to confirm your views, or are you just as guilty as aligning with whatever cause you see fit because you like that brand of mob mentality group-think? I have read your posts on the Immigration board, and it isn't much better than the same lynch mob mentality that put Japanese in camps or ignores the holocaust. But, whatever turns yer crank. Blindly supporting something isn't much better than blindly apposing something, either.

Good question, Ravi. The internment of Japanese Americans is one of those things from the WWII era that we need to reflect on. And give pause. And hope that people give support or rally against something based on more than irrational fears, wishes or group think mentality. Some people think that the Holocaust never happened, either. How much effort do you go through to to confirm your views, or are you just as guilty as aligning with whatever cause you see fit because you like that brand of mob mentality group-think? I have read your posts on the Immigration board, and it isn't much better than the same lynch mob mentality that put Japanese in camps or ignores the holocaust. But, whatever turns yer crank. Blindly supporting something isn't much better than blindly apposing something, either.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I think that we understandably, if regrettably, treated these people badly. But the silver lining is that they were possibly protected from something worse. If we had treated them like the Germans treated the Jews I wouldn't have posed the question.

From some people, I'm sure they would have been. We were at war with Japan, among others. Others would not have that mentality I'm sure.

My great aunt had a Japanese friend in her dorm. She was at the movies when they heard about Pearl Harbor, after she got back to her dorm, the Japanese girl was gone, all her stuff moved out, in that short little time they had been at the movies. She never spoke to her again.

:eek:

That's a disturbing story.

What would have happened if the atmosphere had been filled with methane instead of Oxygen all those years ago? I was just wondering.
We would have evolved differently. For instance, you would have had an advantage instead of being the empty-headed moron that you are.

I'm fairly certain that yes, they would have been but to what extent I really don't know.

What would have happened if the atmosphere had been filled with methane instead of Oxygen all those years ago? I was just wondering.
We would have evolved differently. For instance, you would have had an advantage instead of being the empty-headed moron that you are.

Sure thing. Who the hell knows what would have happened? You are aware that the internment did not effect every Japanese citizen right? That only those within the western part of the Country were effected? You could research what happened outside the western sectors effected by the internment policy to get a basic idea of what would have happened. But who the hell cares? It was done and nothing can change it. Further it was Unconstitutional and was ruled such by the Courts.

You are further aware that some German Americans were held until 1946? Well after the war with Germany was over and done with?

No, they would not have been subjeted to that.

What would have happened is we would have had one less bit of shame on our national history.

There might have been some extra violence directed towards them by mobs...

Of course it would have been no more expensive, and much more humane, to provide them with extra protection via national guard and/or police. They weren't removed for their own protection. It was paranoia.

It's doubtful. While nearly all Japanese and Japanese Americans on the West Coast were sent to internment camps, in Hawaii, less than 2,000 of the estimated 150,000 Japanese Americans were sent to camps, and while there may have been some incidents, there don't seem to have been many.

It's doubtful. While nearly all Japanese and Japanese Americans on the West Coast were sent to internment camps, in Hawaii, less than 2,000 of the estimated 150,000 Japanese Americans were sent to camps, and while there may have been some incidents, there don't seem to have been many.

I don't know how representative Hawaii is of the rest of the nation though. They're known to be laid back. :cool:

I don't know how valid that is since Hawaii wasn't a state at the time and even though Pearl Harbor happened...hmmmm....I could be wrong on this.

Forum List

Back