Oooops

FOXNews.com - Authors Warn That Many Textbooks Distort Religion - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

The above story contains some very interesting information on Distortions found in Public school text as concerns religion.

One of the odder ones was the Notion that Jesus, who founded Christianity, was a young Palestinian man.

Did anybody NOT know this? My favorite part is this......

Ybarra also claims that the textbooks tend not to treat Christianity, Judaism and Islam equally.

"Islam has a privileged position," he said. "It's not critiqued or criticized or qualified, whereas Judaism and Christianity are."

One example is in the glossary of "World History: Continuity and Change." It calls the Ten Commandments "moral laws Moses claimed to have received from the Hebrew God," while the entry for the Koran contains no such qualifier in saying it is the "Holy Book of Islam containing revelations received by Muhammad from God."

No wonder so many young people hate Christians and Christianity.

The brainwashing continues....

FOXNews.com - Authors Warn That Many Textbooks Distort Religion - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

The above story contains some very interesting information on Distortions found in Public school text as concerns religion.

One of the odder ones was the Notion that Jesus, who founded Christianity, was a young Palestinian man.

Did anybody NOT know this? My favorite part is this......

Ybarra also claims that the textbooks tend not to treat Christianity, Judaism and Islam equally.

"Islam has a privileged position," he said. "It's not critiqued or criticized or qualified, whereas Judaism and Christianity are."

One example is in the glossary of "World History: Continuity and Change." It calls the Ten Commandments "moral laws Moses claimed to have received from the Hebrew God," while the entry for the Koran contains no such qualifier in saying it is the "Holy Book of Islam containing revelations received by Muhammad from God."

No wonder so many young people hate Christians and Christianity.

The brainwashing continues....

Interesting, I use Pearson for my social studies and literature books. I have 0 from McGraw or Houghton. Since I do ancient world and american studies, I've run into few problems with religion, I'd say all the social studies from Pearson are fine. We do comparative studies in ancient. Not so with Houghton & McGraw and it's not just religion that is part of a distortion agenda. While I can't recall specifics from 6 years ago, when we were choosing our new texts, I remember finding them woefully slanted.

The comment about 75% of texts being the 3 publishers mentioned would be I say, an understatement.

Last edited:
You know......the stories are the same for all cultures, it's just that each culture tries to say that THEIR way and story is the original.

Nope.......not even the Jews were original, as there were 974 generations before them.

Just another example of someone trying to say that they are the one true way to God. Islam is a perfect lie of this.

It's not the only distortion.....people assume that because they're school text books, they must be correct. IMO, they're one of the most widely used tools for propoganda.

It's not the only distortion.....people assume that because they're school text books, they must be correct. IMO, they're one of the most widely used tools for propoganda.

What I said.

It's a bit weird but I don't remember ever being told that Jesus was a Jew, only that he was born in Bethlehem and grew up in Nazareth. I was educated in Catholic primary schools and went to state (secular) high schools and in religious instruction lessons in my Catholic schools (I was excused RI in the state schools because they were a different denomination) never once did anyone say Jesus was a Jew.

So, what's new? :confused:

Last edited:
Not much. It's bad enough when many history texts are found wanting or biased but what about the fact that most modern science text books contain glaring errors of fact. One can tolerate something that is out of date but something that is just plain factually wrong is another thing.

I watched Fox News for years. Recently, I got fedup with its gross mischaracterization of American public education, and jumped ship. Now that I'm a teacher, I have first-hand insights that put me at odds with Fox's understanding of our public school system. They're really quite misguided in their analysis. I don't trust much of what they say about anything.

In my American history class, the teacher was a full blooded Apache. He did not teach the part concerning our nations treatment of the first nations from the text. And, having read widely on this subject since, his version was far closer to the facts than the history text.

Isn't that true, though? The region was called Palestine when he was born. Israelis are also actually Palestinians, technically...correct me if I'm wrong.

This of course assumes that Jesus actually existed.

Isn't that true, though? The region was called Palestine when he was born. Israelis are also actually Palestinians, technically...correct me if I'm wrong.

This of course assumes that Jesus actually existed.

No, Israelis are NOT Palestinians. They are Hebrews that were led out of Egypt and were put in Israel by God.

Additionally, it was foretold that someone from King David's line (who was Jewish) would be the next Messiah, which was Yeshua (Jesus).

And......there's that coin that was found a couple years back with Yeshua's name AND likeness. They didn't put mythical people on coins back in the Roman Empire.

Forum List

Back