What if 20 Million Illegal Aliens Vacated America?

We'd be paying $10 for a head of lettuce.

Prove it.

There have been several studies showing the impact of illegal immigration on the price of lettuce.

Using a time-series of lettuce prices across the United States for 1973-2006, we regressed the price of lettuce against the rising levels of illegal immigration across different states. Using a stochastic process and a cross-sectional analysis applied to Gaussian distributions, we estimate the effects of illegal immigration on the price of lettuce in states with a high level of illegal immigrant migrant workers vis-a-vis states with a low level of illegal immigrant migrant workers. Our conclusion is that, adjusting for inflation, the price of lettuce in the United States would be $10.17 rather than the current average of $1.49 had all illegal immigration been stopped since 1973.

The National Bureau of Economic Research

Thats the same way they do those climate global warming studies isn't it?

I love how the pro-illegals love to turn this into a racial issue. Noone on this thread has a problem with legal immigrants.

It is purely a legal issue. They are breaking the law, and thus should be thrown out. With that said, I do agree the businesses that hire them should be severely punished.

there is a movie out some B movie something like The Day the Mexicans disappeared or something, you should watch it. It will maybe give you some prespective on the issue.

They all disappeared overnight and that was a farce because there is no way 20 million illegal aliens could disappear over night. Now if they left in the same way they came, they would be missed one by one and replaced one by one.
What if all the doctors disappeared over night. All the grocery stores disappeared. Make an example of something that would make a real difference.
When 20 million illegal aliens were not here, american were doing their jobs. Any one watch the documentary called DIRTY JOBS?
20 MILLION ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE NOT PICKING LETUCE. If lettuce becomes $5 a head I will stop eating lettuce and the farmer would be out of business or he would find a way to get his lettuce to market.

This. 20 million at once would be a disaster....20 million a bit at a time would be just fine....But the federal government needs to close the borders so that more do not come in and fine/arrest those who hire them.

I'd like to hear the plan on moving 20 million people back to where they came from.

Buses maybe?

Assuming the average bus holds 100 people , that's 200,000 bus loads.

That's a lot of damn buses.

Why do people yell racist when they find someone who has a different view and opinion????? If caring about your country makes someone a racist, then I wear the label proudly. I am against breaking the law - and yes, that goes for our sovereign law! If you can't come into the USA LEGALLY, stay in your country! Does that make me racist? Well go for it - be my guest.

Why do people yell racist when they find someone who has a different view and opinion????? If caring about your country makes someone a racist, then I wear the label proudly. I am against breaking the law - and yes, that goes for our sovereign law! If you can't come into the USA LEGALLY, stay in your country! Does that make me racist? Well go for it - be my guest.

Being against illegal immigration is not racist at all. if someone calls you racist for that they are being dishonest.

I made a longer post before so this one will be concise.

If 20 million illegals left the USA right now our unemployment rate would drop to zero.

And if slave labor was reinstituted, our unemployment rate would also drop to zero.

So what's your point?

If 20 million illegals left the USA right now our unemployment rate would drop to zero.

And if slave labor was reinstituted, our unemployment rate would also drop to zero.

So what's your point?

If slave labor was reinstituted unemployment would skyrocket....why hire an american when you can go kidnap people from other places to use as slaves? Did I ever tell you I dont eat seafood, especially red herring?

Let me poke at you again :D By your logic it sounds as if you want to make slavery legal again? Remember its illegal thats why we dont have slavery, just like the way the ILLEGAL immigrants enter the country is also illegal. I am not making my point properly but i think you will get it anyway.

How many us citizens are currently not working? Is it less than 20million? If it is then all the ILLEGAL (remember legal immigrants are wanted in the USA) immigrants leaving would effectively put a giant, if not total, dent in the unemployment figures.

Last edited:

So what's your point?

If slave labor was reinstituted unemployment would skyrocket....why hire an american when you can go kidnap people from other places to use as slaves? Did I ever tell you I dont eat seafood, especially red herring?

Let me poke at you again :D By your logic it sounds as if you want to make slavery legal again? Remember its illegal thats why we dont have slavery, just like the way the ILLEGAL immigrants enter the country is also illegal. I am not making my point properly but i think you will get it anyway.

How many us citizens are currently not working? Is it less than 20million? If it is then all the ILLEGAL (remember legal immigrants are wanted in the USA) immigrants leaving would effectively put a giant, if not total, dent in the unemployment figures.

For unskilled labor maybe but what about all the high tech and skilled labor jobs?

Would they magically reappear if the illegals went home?

I think not.

So what's your point?

For unskilled labor maybe but what about all the high tech and skilled labor jobs?

I think not.

How many illegal immigrants do the high tech and skilled labor jobs?

I dont think they would impact that employment segment much at all.

I'd like to hear the plan on moving 20 million people back to where they came from.

Buses maybe?

Assuming the average bus holds 100 people , that's 200,000 bus loads.

That's a lot of damn buses.

Helloooooooo, McFly................ If you're going to try to think spend more time doing it.

Let's say 50 people fit on a bus. That would be 400,000 busloads. Now let's say we have 10 states to bus from, equally, to keep the discussion simple. That's 40,000 busloads per state. Let's say on average it will take 2 days round trip, one to get there and one to get back. That's 180 trips per year/per bus. That average is probably far longer than reality. So each state would need 222 buses to get it done in 1 year, or more feasibly 100 to do it over 2-3 years. Each trip would cost $500 in gas or $10 per illegal and with a staff of say 400 to man the buses with a salary cost of $14.5 million @ $36k each. When you break it even farther down to the county level that would be about .5 to 3 buses per county depending on the state. 100 buses or fewer per state, piece of cake, remember this was sharing the load between only 10 states.

It is actually very feasible when you look at the numbers. It would also cost much less to transport them than we currently spend on them. A total of less than $500 million, no way would it top $1 billion, which is much less than they cost us every year right now.

I think not.

I personally don't know any unskilled laborers.

But I do know several several former engineers, salespeople, small business owners, and attorneys (yes attorneys) who are no longer employed or have lost their businesses in this economic downturn.

And I doubt that any of them would consider taking a job created by the deportation of illegals.

I think not.

But I do know several several former engineers, salespeople, small business owners, and attorneys (yes attorneys) who are no longer employed or have lost their businesses in this economic downturn.

And I doubt that any of them would consider taking a job created by the deportation of illegals.

I doubt they would too. Im not arguing that point with you at all as we agree.

If 20 million illegals just vanished from america tommorrow there would be LOTS of new jobs that LOTS of unemployed americans could and would take right now....that was my initial and only point.

If 20 million illegals just vanished from america tommorrow there would be LOTS of new jobs that LOTS of unemployed americans could and would take right now....that was my initial and only point.

Yes, perhaps in the sector in which illegals are currently employed but that's still not going to drop the unemployment rate to zero.

We already gave this a test run back in 2006. Remember the day without a Mexican? It was freaking awesome.

Edit to add that I'm not talking about the movie.

Yeah, it was. I went shopping and actually didn't have to stand in line, everyone spoke English. It was wonderful....I keep hoping they do it again.

I know a whole bunch of young, unemployed Americans that would take those jobs in a second.

I know a whole bunch of young, unemployed Americans that would take those jobs in a second.

You gotta be kidding.

Todays kids getting their hands dirty?

Fat chance.

You gotta be kidding.

Todays kids getting their hands dirty?

Fat chance.

I can see you don't know many of today's kids......

personally don't know any unskilled laborer.

IF you don't know any unskilled laborers, what planet do you live on???? Many professionals have gone into car dealerships asking for any type of work!!! It was a shocker to my friend's son who works for a car dealership! He is working there to help with college tuition. One of the few business who still hire non-spanish speakers, I might add. If you have a mortgage pmt to meet and childred to feed, your damn right they would take ANY job no matter how insignificant if it meant putting food on their table and a roof over their heads. If you don't know that, you don't know anything about AMERICANS!!!!

Forum List

Back