What I have learned from my membership in the USMB

pppffffffftttttttt - go talk to a pic of Marg:p:

Well, I'll have to say this about that.

The reason I like BB's is because it's a great way to be heard. This is a great forum. There's a lot of people here, and even though there is plenty of people here that disagree with me, that makes it all the more fun. "They" have to listen to "me", just as I in turn listen to them. But what a great way to discuss issues and to be heard! It's fantastic!

Last but not least, I do have to say great job to jimnyc. This is an excelent message board. The best I've ever been on. I'm looking foward to sticking around for awhile. This place has some door knobs, and some may think I'm a door knob, but the diversity is the fun of it all.

I too have learned much from BB's.

I'm also addicted.....:D

With the exception of a couple of people on this thread, I learned I don't know any of you!

I have reaffirmed my belief that anonymity breeds contempt, contempt breeds adolescence, adolescents breeds stupidity, stupidity breeds worthlessness, and worthlessness breeds wasted broadband.

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours."

Frustrating when I can't give it to Jimmy and Aseratis and the Suddeths and 007 and and and...

So instead I will just have to be satisfied with saying thank you for making the USMB such a nice place to come and share my own posts.

To KL, if you still want to learn why you react to a post I suggest that you read the 70's pop psychology paperbacks, Games People Play and I'm OK, You're OK. The interactions on this board are pretty neatly (if somewhat simplistically) categorized by what you will read in them. FYI they also work for married couples. :D

For Aseratis you have the makings of a great philosopher with insights like that. :)

Peace
DT

My experience with this board has been many stages. I went through stages of anger and arrogance. I've also been humbled many times. I've been involved in humorous exchanges and heated debates. I've had days where I was here from sunrise to sunset and other days where I just didn't feel up to logging on. I've went from wanting a board where I can say whatever I want and suppress those who pissed me off to learning how to be fair and honest. I have my bad and good days just like everyone else. I have to deal with being not only what I consider a fair administrator, but what others consider to be fair as well. I've learned that the board is great because I can do with it what I like, but I know it's only as good as the members who post here. While trying to run the board properly I try to give everyone as much as possible of a say in things as I can. I also have the burden of dealing with back end maintenance, backups, fees...

My initial goal of this board was a place for my family to keep in touch with one another and also have a place where a few can discuss politics and other current events. I imagined my family sticking it out and maybe getting a few newcomers here and there. Honestly, the board has already surpassed my wildest expectations.

I've made friends on here that I truly value. That in itself makes all the fees worthwhile. I've made my share of 'enemies', but they as well make the board worth visiting daily. Although I can spew the hatred with the best of them, I know they are people just like you and I that want their views to be heard. I actually feel guilty sometimes when some of the people I've had heated debates with no longer come back to the board. Because of that, I'm trying to refine my debating skills, although I still expect to have my share of slip ups. :)

We have quite a few couples who post here. That really makes me feel good to think things are good enough around here to have people recommend the board to others and share the experience together. I wish some of those that came here with the intent of trolling would realize that there is more to the board than just 'liberals and conservatives'.

All in all I am pleased with the board and feel priviledged to share it with everyone.

Thank you, Jimmy! :)

The reason I like BB's is because it's a great way to be heard. This is a great forum. There's a lot of people here, and even though there is plenty of people here that disagree with me, that makes it all the more fun. "They" have to listen to "me", just as I in turn listen to them. But what a great way to discuss issues and to be heard! It's fantastic!

Last but not least, I do have to say great job to jimnyc. This is an excelent message board. The best I've ever been on. I'm looking foward to sticking around for awhile. This place has some door knobs, and some may think I'm a door knob, but the diversity is the fun of it all.

USMB addict here, YO! I didn't think it would happen, but it did.

I tried to have my cake and eat it too. :evil:

Before I came here, all I did was watch movies and shows on youtube. Now life is so complicated again. :mad:

And that I have. 8 more months will be 10 years.

Oldest retrievable thread with "USMB" in the title...
Goes to show how long I've been here.

My big brother got me on PLATO, the first online community. That's when I thought back then to call myself quickhit and play video games. I really only liked one of them. Moonwars was a trip though that you'd kill your opponent, by typing in angles and bouncing the shot off the corners.

I don't know why BB's are still so popular. I guess rock 'n roll is here to stay. This experience reminds me of a walk in the park. I also was a field engineer, when they provided cable in the mid-peninsula here with K&B Engineering. I got my picture in the Palo Alto Times. :D

My big brother got me on PLATO, the first online community. That's when I thought back then to call myself quickhit and play video games. I really only liked one of them. Moonwars was a trip though that you'd kill your opponent, by typing in angles and bouncing the shot off the corners.

I don't know why BB's are still so popular. I guess rock 'n roll is here to stay. This experience reminds me of a walk in the park. I also was a field engineer, when they provided cable in the mid-peninsula here with K&B Engineering. I got my picture in the Palo Alto Times. :D
I started out on the MSNBC forums until they shut them down. This was late 1999. I then started on the CNN forums and was on them until after Bush won the 2000 elections. I then took a break and returned to forum posting in Nov. 2002 at the Sean Hannity forums. I don't even remember when I joined this one. I think it was way back at the beginning, but then I never came here until the last few years.

As most can tell, I don't have a lot of posts. Under 7k for at least five years worth of membership.

*shrug*

I'm actually debating on giving up forum participation in favor of more sane pursuits. Like chute-less sky diving....

Ummm..that was a joke. Not a suicide note.

I started out on the MSNBC forums until they shut them down. This was late 1999. I then started on the CNN forums and was on them until after Bush won the 2000 elections. I then took a break and returned to forum posting in Nov. 2002 at the Sean Hannity forums. I don't even remember when I joined this one. I think it was way back at the beginning, but then I never came here until the last few years.

As most can tell, I don't have a lot of posts. Under 7k for at least five years worth of membership.

*shrug*

I'm actually debating on giving up forum participation in favor of more sane pursuits. Like chute-less sky diving....

Ummm..that was a joke. Not a suicide note.

Rocky5544 died on his ATV on the second forum I was on. Fortunately, that was after I had stopped riding my bicycle to the summit in the Santa Cruz mountains. Id of had reservations. Going up was hard work, but the ride down diluted the adrenalin. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'd say that it felt like I was parachuting or an airplane. There's nothing better.

Forum List

Back