What I have learned from my membership in the USMB

K

KLSuddeth

This is a post I feel strongly about - as well as one that I HOPE people think about and respond to with their experiences/opinions. (I know, I think too much....just one of the pitfalls that goes along with being too smart and always right LMAO) :p:

I have learned that Im not as smart as I thought I was (this is a good thing)
I have learned that my way of thinking isnt the only right way
I have learned that Im what I hate most - judgemental
For example - you guys have no IDEA how much shit I gave DK for being on here all the time. Oh how I hated it. HATED IT. In big ugly ways did I hate it! I compared the board to evercrack (everquest - now I really DO hate that....wanna know why? ask DK - evercrack survivor). I hated it so much that I wanted to know the REAL reason (damn I sound like a jealous female, eh?) he spent so much time on it! SO I joined in January - after reading a few posts of his that I really disagreed with, I emailed the admin and asked how do I revoke my membership because I hated my husbands views and did not want to be equated with such (stupid, eh? yeah yeah I know lol).
Now here I am, loving every minute of being a member.
Can we say LESSON? :) (I just dismissed myself in a BIG way) lol

Also, I have learned more about both sides in a way that book learning or school learning never afforded me....Ive seen the passionate feelings behind it....its given me a whole new way of seeing things - how cool is that? And how cool is it that such a place exists that I can get that lesson in that way? WAY COOL!

I have learned that Im a bitch - actually I knew that. What I mean, is that I immediately jump on people ready to go for the juggler. however, my curious nature kicks in and I end up wondering WHY. Why did this person say this, believe that, etc. And WHY does their belief/opinion incite me so? So after a while, I would contact this person/people and ask why (not easy after youve fought tooth and nail with them - especially when youre the type of person who doesnt say sorry or admit they're wrong much at all (ask DK, Im terrible at both of those). Well, surprise to me, I found out the reasons and from that, was borne a respect as well as an understanding. There are reasons for everything - and everything can be seen as a lesson or as an invitation for arguement. I wish I could see the lesson before the arguemnt....maybe one day I will. At least I get to the lesson, so Im thankful for that. Im a curious person - I cant stand not knowing WHY - so I ask. Ive not once been denied an answer, even from those on here with whom Ive fought hard core with.
That is WAY cool!

I have learned that people are inherently good. even strangers. I have gotten some wonderful gifts since bieng a member here....Ive received advice and implements to help me in homeschooling, Ive made some wonderful contacts both personally and professionally, and I am gaining an education that I desperately needed. How cool is all of that?
I also have gained the ability to see something from another angle - which is sooo helpful in so many ways....I can hear my husband better from learning this, as well as my kids, other people....hell, Im writing my book better for it, I think.

Im sure I will think of more to add to this, and when I do - I will.

What is your experience? Im curious......

oh mr right wing man.....I dont believe that. Youve learned 'stuff'. Youve learned that Im not the vain bitch you once thought I was at least, havent you?
(yes I know, its a loaded question) LOL

:D

(I have to give ya shit - you like it) :p:

Enjoyed both posts--I too am on here to give and to take. I was once told "act like you know and know that you don't". My interpretation of that is to we have a responsibilty to express ourselves even though we take the risk of being proved wrong or insulted for who we are--not what we say. We also have a responsibilty to listen, doing our best to not let our predjudice get in the way of learning something enlightening and beautiful. Some people are here for other reasons and I too am curious why people think the way they think. Anyone can read a book--------I want to hear about people from their perspective because that is a gift that cannot be bought . I have learned so much from the short time that I have been here and looking forward to learning more.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Gosh, KL bares her soul andfrom you the same worthless banter.:D

KL and I are different people. I know libs hate the concept of the individual, but you need to back off a smidge.

I've learned that it doesn't matter how much you are willing to debate, prove wrong, compromise, or even agree, that there will always be people who are so closed minded as to dismiss you out of hand simply because you don't agree with them all the time. I've also learned that despite the fact that some people have very set ideas on their 'utopia america', that they are more than willing to listen to reason and see why others might not feel the same way. I've learned that there are very good and sufficient reasons why some people feel the way they do and although I personally can't see things their way, I can certainly empathize with why they feel that way. Last, but not least, I've learned that even the most serious minded of people can be humorous and joyful to be around and that I have more in common with people who are directly opposed to me in the beliefs that we share.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
KL and I are different people. I know libs hate the concept of the individual, but you need to back off a smidge.

Libs are all about the individual, provided they are all the same. :p:

KL, great post!

I have learned a few things too:
1. I have learned to defend my views with logic and proof.
2. I have learned why other people believe the things they do about many topics.
3. I have learned (actually reaffirmed) that you should always be nice to people until they give you a good reason not to be.
4. I have learned that some people don't listen to logic and reason, they just continue to spout their ideological crap. (not naming names - these people may or may not know who they are, but I think everyone can recognize them)
5. I have learned that my wife hates this board and thinks I spend all my time on it.
6. I have learned that orange and black aren't just for Halloween! :p:
7. I have learned that people from different backgrounds can come together and have good discussions about stuff, even if they don't agree all the time.

:beer:

5. I have learned that my wife hates this board and thinks I spend all my time on it.

ha ha - that was me and DK suffered much for it for a long while!

Ive also learned that Ive made the most wonderful friends from the most unlikely places! how COOL is THAT?

pretty damn cool, Id say!

My life has and will continue to truly be enriched from the connections Ive made here, the willingness to look at and accept diverse, conflicting opinions, the effort it has taken to get PAST my ego (i have a big one too lol) and see perhaps WHAT makes those who believe differently than I believe and react in the ways that they do. I know myself better as a result - some of my opinions and beliefs have changed - some have grown stronger.

Now, I ask again....How cool is THAT??? :D

My experience with this board has been many stages. I went through stages of anger and arrogance. I've also been humbled many times. I've been involved in humorous exchanges and heated debates. I've had days where I was here from sunrise to sunset and other days where I just didn't feel up to logging on. I've went from wanting a board where I can say whatever I want and suppress those who pissed me off to learning how to be fair and honest. I have my bad and good days just like everyone else. I have to deal with being not only what I consider a fair administrator, but what others consider to be fair as well. I've learned that the board is great because I can do with it what I like, but I know it's only as good as the members who post here. While trying to run the board properly I try to give everyone as much as possible of a say in things as I can. I also have the burden of dealing with back end maintenance, backups, fees...

My initial goal of this board was a place for my family to keep in touch with one another and also have a place where a few can discuss politics and other current events. I imagined my family sticking it out and maybe getting a few newcomers here and there. Honestly, the board has already surpassed my wildest expectations.

I've made friends on here that I truly value. That in itself makes all the fees worthwhile. I've made my share of 'enemies', but they as well make the board worth visiting daily. Although I can spew the hatred with the best of them, I know they are people just like you and I that want their views to be heard. I actually feel guilty sometimes when some of the people I've had heated debates with no longer come back to the board. Because of that, I'm trying to refine my debating skills, although I still expect to have my share of slip ups. :)

We have quite a few couples who post here. That really makes me feel good to think things are good enough around here to have people recommend the board to others and share the experience together. I wish some of those that came here with the intent of trolling would realize that there is more to the board than just 'liberals and conservatives'.

All in all I am pleased with the board and feel priviledged to share it with everyone.

as Ive said before, Jim, yours isnt an easy task nor one that I envy! I think youve done one hell of a great job.

Afterall, you could have told me to shove it up my ass, and you didnt (lol)

ps
I was hoping youd respond to this thread...yours was one I was looking forward to!

I've learned that I am the smartest person in the world and that everyone else is an idiot!!:p:

not possible deci.....that would be.......ME!!!!! ahahahahahaha!!!

I relearned why I dont talk politics or religion with people. Some people are just downright stupid.

Originally posted by Jackass
I relearned why I dont talk politics or religion with people. Some people are just downright stupid.

And you wonder why you have the name JACKASS!!!!!! :p:

Forum List

Back