What gun laws would have stopped the UCLA shooting, Charles W. Cooke

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
this is a great piece by a great writer....

What Law—Specifically—Would Have Prevented Yesterday's UCLA Shooting?

Typically, those who favor more gun control argue that America’s “patchwork quilt” of rules and regulations help those who would do harm to slip through the net.

Furthermore, they contend that adding further barriers would prevent young men with evil intent from getting hold of lethal weaponry in the first instance.

But it is hard to see how such criticisms can apply here, in response to a crime that could have been carried out with a double-barreled shotgun from 1872.

During his presidency, President Obama has proposed three substantial changes to the legal status quo:

1) the imposition of mandatory instant background checks on each sale or transfer of a firearm, including those sales and transfers that are conducted entirely privately;

b) a hard limit on the capacity of commercially available magazines; and

c) a ban on so-called assault weapons. But none of these proposals even intersects with this case.

The shooter passed an instant background check in Minnesota;

his murders did not involve or require him to “spray” bullets or even to reload;

and he did not use an “assault weapon,” but a common handgun.

Elsewhere, the president and many in his party have expressed opposition to concealed carry in general and to “campus carry” in particular, usually on the (faulty) assumption that permitting private citizens to carry weapons on their persons will lead to more violence.

California, however, does not permit campus carry;

it is almost impossible to get hold of a carry permit in the city of Los Angeles;

and, the rules being what they are in the Golden State, the shooter was ineligible to carry outside of his home state anyway.

Which brings me back to my initial question:

When President Obama tweets, as he did earlier today, that Americans must “take action to prevent this from happening again,” what exactly does he mean?

I understand that he’s upset; everybody is upset.

I understand that he’s expressing frustration; that’s fine.

But I want specifics.

In free countries, laws are clear and they are limited; they have a specific purpose; and they can be understood and followed by laymen.

Which precise provisions does President Obama want to add to the legal code? And has he changed his mind? Thus far, his agenda has been limited to a set of proposals that don’t relate at all to this incident.

Read more at: What Law—Specifically—Would Have Prevented Yesterday's UCLA Shooting?

Last edited:
I would say that educating all people on Constitutional laws and responsibilities as a requirement for legal privileges as US citizens would help SCREEN OUT people who have mental or criminal issues. We'd catch more people like this shooter in advance, at earlier and earlier signs of failure to resolve conflicts, if we promoted conflict resolution and mediation training as part of due process.

By raising the standards of Constitutional enforcement to include all citizens, this helps enforce consistent policies across the board -- to deter prevent and correct both individual crimes, corporate abuses, and govt corruption by intervening earlier at the first sign there are issues grievances or objection to address. We'd screen out bad guys, bad cops, bad govt that would stand out if we all enforced the laws consistently. Whoever was out of compliance couldn't hide as they can now in our culture of blame that deflects attention without addressing or resolving the real causes of problems at the root.

I would say that educating all people on Constitutional laws and responsibilities as a requirement for legal privileges as US citizens would help SCREEN OUT people who have mental or criminal issues. We'd catch more people like this shooter in advance, at earlier and earlier signs of failure to resolve conflicts, if we promoted conflict resolution and mediation training as part of due process.

By raising the standards of Constitutional enforcement to include all citizens, this helps enforce consistent policies across the board -- to deter prevent and correct both individual crimes, corporate abuses, and govt corruption by intervening earlier at the first sign there are issues grievances or objection to address. We'd screen out bad guys, bad cops, bad govt that would stand out if we all enforced the laws consistently. Whoever was out of compliance couldn't hide as they can now in our culture of blame that deflects attention without addressing or resolving the real causes of problems at the root.

I think you are wrong...anyone who would murder 2 people...isn't going to be stopped by a better conflict resolution process...

Thugs and crazies do not, by definition, follow the rules. So let's restrict law abiding citizens from having the ability to defend themselves??? The notion is insane.

I think you are wrong...anyone who would murder 2 people...isn't going to be stopped by a better conflict resolution process...

2aguy from what I have found from the spiritual healing methods that have successfully cured schizophrenic and psychopathic people, the diagnosis process itself as part of this method can detect and screen people out to begin with. The families will tell you their loved one is deteriorating sick and dangerous. These spiritual healers go through the person's spiritual history to identify what made them sick. So they know how dangerous someone is, how cured, or how at risk they are of relapse if they aren't fully cured yet, like how doctors know the difference between benign and malignant tumors, remission and complete cure of cancer.

Now we can't rely on spiritual diagnosis as this is practiced currently.
What we need is medical research and scientific technology, like advanced digital readings,
to determine the difference between the levels of sickness, like the stages of cancer.
We can take this same process, and get the medical technique behind it, where diagnosing
criminal illness becomes "just as objective" as diagnosing the difference between HIV and full blown AIDS.
We don't judge people for that, but we use science and medicine to determine if they are in danger
or can harm other people with their deadly disease they are carrying.

Dear 2aguy it's more than just that.
The training, services and assistance in conflict resolution would allow local help in EARLIER screening and detection of mentally and criminally ill people, instead of waiting until confrontation or violence to find out they are out of control.

This has to be caught by one on one intervention, so having localized services in each district would allow danger to be detected and addressed far in advance, at the earliest sign of trouble.

Dear 2aguy it's more than just that.
The training, services and assistance in conflict resolution would allow local help in EARLIER screening and detection of mentally and criminally ill people, instead of waiting until confrontation or violence to find out they are out of control.

This has to be caught by one on one intervention, so having localized services in each district would allow danger to be detected and addressed far in advance, at the earliest sign of trouble.

I completely understand that.....and approve of it.....

The problem i have is that anti gunners will use any contact with a mental health professional to ban people from their right to bear arms....a kid at school seeing a grief counselor for a death in the family...life time ban.......kids family is getting divorced and they see a social worker....it shows up as seeing a social worker on his record...life time ban......

The way we do this has to respect the rights of innocent people......show me that system and I will get behind it...

Thugs and crazies do not, by definition, follow the rules. So let's restrict law abiding citizens from having the ability to defend themselves??? The notion is insane.

I like those meme photos where it says....my neighbor keeps getting DUIs so you take my car away from me.....

Forum List

Back