What exactly is wrong/broken with internet in the US? (Net Neutrality)

I agree, it does not sound like it's an internet speed problem. You can have real time speeds of 1 billionMbps and still lag the fuck out if the server you go too is lazy as chit. She would have to have incredibly low speeds to have that problem, like, just past dialup.
Exactly, the fastest servers I have ever downloaded from, like a system upgrade from Apple, were 3Mbps, so I asked Optimum if they offered a 3 Mbps for less than the 20 Mbps they were charging me for. I pointed out that I am a senior and am the only person using the internet and don't need more than 3 Mbps. But they will only sell me 20 Mbps while only delivering less than 7 Mbps.

The ISPs are crooks, and if you weren't only interested in going against Obama, you would never defend being forced to pay for what you aren't getting.

I do agree with this idea but it doesn't take 300 pages of regs to fix this. Their selling of bandwidth speed sure seems to be a rip off. I am not sure what justifications they have for charging more. Does it take more equipment? Certainly for me one problem is that fiber optics will never come to my house. So my choices are DSL, which I am actually using now because of the cost of cable internet. My DSL works fine for posting and buying on line, not so much for gaming or video downloads although with time even that isn't bad except in comparision.

I am not sure of what are my internet options. What I do know is that for something that the left is trying to convince me is bad, everyone uses. I was at work the other day and on break everyone around me was on the internet looking at videos and such, with their phones. Amazing. I would do the same I think but I don't want to carry a phone that doesn't fit into my pocket.

Better help this debate.

Freewill, this is not about bandwidth or speed but about content.

Net Neturality stops Comcast redirecting all google.com page requests to Comcast serch engine which priotises the search engine to people who pay. That is big corps instead on mom and pop outfits. Comcast can throttle down some sites and push others.
They don't have to tell you like Goggle tell you who is paying today and who is not.

It effectively means you service provider can rig the internet to suit themselves and not tell you. So they have a hotels site they prefer you get that first and major competitors pushed to page 100...
They can also cut down Netflix or Amazon unless they pay. Today they do pay extra for access.

So the Freewill you talk about is taken away from you by your provider in a corporate meeting and you will not be told. So in your world every search of conservative topics could be pointing to liberal websites.
Now commercializing this will allow providers to give out internet at low prices because every time you want to buy something you are pushed to Amazon and the service provider is taking a cut without you knowing.

Net neutralization is about treating all roads on the internet fairly, it is about equal free expression. This is a fight between Telecom operators and content providers, Telecom providers want to be able to control what you can access and content providers want the world to be equal.

I am surprised that GOP has gone against their own principles on this one. I thought they are about fair opportunity for everyone achieve on their own merits, this is the equivalent of black empowerment without good reason.

I was told by a person in my congressmans office that 80% of the traffic on comcast is netflix. All those movie downloads are slowing the system for everyone else. Why shouldn't comcast be able to throttle netflix back to maintain an acceptable experience for their other customers?

One what your congressman said is crap... Netflix is 30% of traffic....
Netflix and YouTube make up majority of US internet traffic new report shows Technology The Guardian

Next you pay Comcast for the service, you want Netflix, so it is your choice. You paid to download movies, why is it any business of anyone including Comcast where you do load that information from? You say you want the government out of the internet but you are happy for comcast to do it to you in secrecy...

First if you had bothered to read the remainder of the exchange you would have known the individual I spoke with was not speaking on behalf of the congressman. Second since that person was relaying a personal experience, you don't have a clue what is actually happening in their area or what comcast told them. Also I would much prefer a business make decisions how they will do things than any governmental agency who makes its rules in secret. If a company is not satisfactorily performing I can change providers, if government is screwing things up, there is no escape.

Why is Net Neutrality not a good thing for Internet users - like us?

How We Won Net Neutrality

This is what democracy looks like. That's not something I thought I'd ever say about the bureaucrats at the Federal Communications Commission. After years of cronyism, corruption and cowardice, Thursday's vote for strong Net Neutrality rules at the FCC is unexpected if not unprecedented. The FCC is reversing a decade of failed policies, rejecting a massive misinformation campaign from the cable and phone industries, and restoring the agency's authority to protect Internet users. This is the biggest win for the public interest in the agency's history. Yet even five months ago, this kind of victory looked impossible.

Net Neutrality Prevails In Historic FCC Vote

OP- the internet needs to be protected from greedy idiot corporations, ie the GOP. And great internet costs at least 4x as much here as in Europe, dingbat dupes. Etc etc.

Faster internet is better in many ways. Look it up, IDIOT.

I will get back to you if I end up paying more or less for the same service...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seriously, why is there even a giant FCC ruling and political debate going on about the "freedom of the internet." There is nothing wrong with the fucking internet in the United States. Why on earth do we suddenly need a major government intervention where there is no problem?

I think it's just a money-grab. So much commerce is taking place now the government wants a taste ala that fat Mafioso in white from Godfather 2. They just wanna 'wet their beak a little.' :)

Seriously, why is there even a giant FCC ruling and political debate going on about the "freedom of the internet." There is nothing wrong with the fucking internet in the United States. Why on earth do we suddenly need a major government intervention where there is no problem?
The Internet in the US is bullshit. Overpriced, corporate, slow, and often unavailable at any decent speed or at all. Time to grow up, as usual, America.

And by the way, dick nose, the Internet here is just as fast or faster than most of the industrialized world.

Download Speed by Country Net Index from Ookla
Your numbers are worthless. On this we are number eight, and we invented the bloody thing: Where the internet zooms. - In Photos Countries With The Fastest Internet Speeds - Forbes

And #11 here: List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Pathetic.

And on this, #13. Be proud: Where to Find the World s Fastest Internet Top 20 The Need for Speed - Bloomberg

How is putting the FCC in charge going to increase internet speed? The FCC did a great job of promoting cheap telephone service, didn't it?

Right, put the dumb ass government in charge of the internet the fucking idiots who can't build a working website with a billion fucking dollars? That's a brilliant plan did Obama think it up? /SARCASM

Milton Friedman once said that if you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara dessert that there would soon be a shortage of sand.

I lived in South Korea uk Bulgaria and Belgium visited Romania and traveled around a bit. The USA Internet sucks and is slow and 6x over priced for better far faster service. The internet is broke. 70 US dollars in the uk for unlimited internet. I just moved back and for what I used in the uk I would be paying 250+. Phone was 60 US dollars and unlimited and I could actually download shit on my phone in the us I need wifi. Plus the phone in the us for me and my wife is close to 300 dollars for only 30 gigs a month plus some lge bullshit that slows it down. It is embarrassing how fucking slow the internet is in the us and how much they make you pay for slow shitty service. The best was in South Korea that shit was awesome and cheap like 50,000 won which is like 50 bucks.

Total bullshit.

The Internet in the US is bullshit. Overpriced, corporate, slow, and often unavailable at any decent speed or at all. Time to grow up, as usual, America.

And by the way, dick nose, the Internet here is just as fast or faster than most of the industrialized world.

Your own link says the US is 27th.

1. 109.40 Mbps
    Singapore

2. 98.11 Mbps
    Hong Kong

3. 97.78 Mbps
    South Korea

4. 68.02 Mbps
    Monaco

5. 64.18 Mbps
    Aland Islands

6. 63.16 Mbps
    Japan

7. 63.11 Mbps
    Romania

8. 55.00 Mbps
    Sweden

9. 47.18 Mbps
    Macau

10. 45.91 Mbps
    Lithuania

11. 45.85 Mbps
    Netherlands

12. 44.06 Mbps
    Denmark

13. 42.92 Mbps
    Taiwan

14. 42.86 Mbps
    Latvia

15. 42.67 Mbps
    Switzerland

16. 42.50 Mbps
    Republic of Moldova

17. 40.90 Mbps
    Iceland

18. 39.52 Mbps
    Estonia

19. 37.35 Mbps
    Jersey

20. 36.49 Mbps
    Andorra

21. 36.42 Mbps
    France

22. 36.33 Mbps
    Luxembourg

23. 35.80 Mbps
    Finland

24. 35.65 Mbps
    Norway

25. 34.33 Mbps
    Bulgaria

26. 33.24 Mbps
    Hungary

27. 33.23 Mbps
    United States
WOW!

We are slow as a turtle, especially for being the supposed number 1 / best country in the world.... Holy Moly we are slowwwww in comparison to the country with the fastest internet.
That is because broadband is a kind of monopoly. Where I live in NJ the ISPs have made an agreement among themselves not to overlap their territories. So there is no competition. I can get only Optimum, while my friend up the street can only get Comcast. Neither of us can get TimeWarner. As a result we get gouged $65 a month for the slowest speed which is much less than the 33Mbps US average.

Such agreements are impossible to enforce without government. What you really mean is that each local government granted a monopoly to an ISP. But you wanted to blame private enterprise rather than the true culprit, government.

Last edited:
edthecynic you dumb fuck, if it bothers you that much don't live there. You're argument is as white trash as if someone claimed living in Texas that the adverage tempature in their house is hotter than in the rest of the US thus the Government should force companies to sell air conditioning units for cheaper.... and then regulate power costs to keep the price "affordable."
You are the dumb fuck. If I buy a 1,500 BTU air conditioner, the government requires that it deliver 1,500 BTUs. The manufacturer cannot sell a 500 BTU air conditioner as a 3,000 BTU air conditioner, but without regulation an ISP can and does charge me for 20 Mbps and delivers only 1/3 of that.
Get it?

You can easily determine what your download speed actually is. Furthermore, you local government granted your ISP a monopoly so it could rip you off and prevent you from going to an alternative provider. Yet, you think government is your savior!

What the fuck are you not able to do on 5Mbps??????????????????????????? How many mother fucking HD's do you people have because you must fill that shit near daily.
I have a business that runs off the internet.

I'm sorry... Did you just make a fucking ass of yourself again? Do you bottle neck? What is your business? You could have 200, 400 web pages open on your computer and your speed won't matter. WTF lolz
you have no idea what you are talking about, so just stop.

Care4all, what does 2.9 Mbps prevent your business from doing?
Again that is not the point. Without competition the ISPs are charging for much more than 2.9 Mbps without delivering it. That is why regulation is needed since there is no competition.

The solution to no competition is to legalize competition, not to get the government further involved.

Your numbers are worthless. On this we are number eight, and we invented the bloody thing: Where the internet zooms. - In Photos Countries With The Fastest Internet Speeds - Forbes

And #11 here: List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Pathetic.

And on this, #13. Be proud: Where to Find the World s Fastest Internet Top 20 The Need for Speed - Bloomberg

How is putting the FCC in charge going to increase internet speed? The FCC did a great job of promoting cheap telephone service, didn't it?
Yes, it did.

I have a business that runs off the internet.

I'm sorry... Did you just make a fucking ass of yourself again? Do you bottle neck? What is your business? You could have 200, 400 web pages open on your computer and your speed won't matter. WTF lolz

Again that is not the point. Without competition the ISPs are charging for much more than 2.9 Mbps without delivering it. That is why regulation is needed since there is no competition.

The solution to no competition is to legalize competition, not to get the government further involved.
And that's exactly what this proposal does, is LEGALIZE competition that the State governments were trying to limit. Look it up... I think Tennessee was one of the States involved that was trying to limit the competition....a suit is involved....

Pathetic.

Yes, it did.

What a dumbass. The FCC granted AT&T a monopoly so we had rotary dial telephones that you had to rent for over $100/yr and long distance charges that were over $10/min for some calls.

And that's exactly what this proposal does, is LEGALIZE competition that the State governments were trying to limit. Look it up... I think Tennessee was one of the States involved that was trying to limit the competition....a suit is involved....

Wrong. It doesn't repeal any of the local monopolies.

It does by opening up the market place for other providers to come in to the areas. There's an electricity provider who decided to add internet service, the State government only allowed him to offer internet in the counties it provided electricity and no other areas....keeping it a Monopoly or duopoly for those BIG guy providers...

This net neutrality measure, would PREVENT States from not allowing new providers in to new areas.

It does by opening up the market place for other providers to come in to the areas. There's an electricity provider who decided to add internet service, the State government only allowed him to offer internet in the counties it provided electricity and no other areas....keeping it a Monopoly or duopoly for those BIG guy providers...

This net neutrality measure, would PREVENT States from not allowing new providers in to new areas.
Have you read the new regulations? No!!...Nobody has, they are confidential. Have can you support something you haven't even read? How is that possible? You big government lovers don't need a religion. You put your faith in governement:cuckoo:

The document hasn't even been published yet, so how do you know what it does?

The document hasn't even been published yet, so how do you know what it does?
They published a tidbit about it on their site and I read an article about the suit and the states involved and private businesses involved and what the issue was and how net neutrality would affect the case.

Forum List

Back