What do You Think?- NBA player refuses to stand for National Anthem

Where does it state he has to place his hand over his heart and recite the Pledge?
It does not and he has every right to refuse to say it.
That being said he should at least stand up and show some respect for the country he is making his living in.
When a hockey game is played between a US Team and a Canadian Team and both anthems are played the players stand for both anthems out of respect.

Where does it state he has to place his hand over his heart and recite the Pledge?
It does not and he has every right to refuse to say it.
That being said he should at least stand up and show some respect for the country he is making his living in.
When a hockey game is played between a US Team and a Canadian Team and both anthems are played the players stand for both anthems out of respect.

Exactly. Well said.

Depends ...

If he's black, he's a godless muslim and we should throw him out of the NBA.
If he's white, he has that right as well as the right to his religious beliefs and we should all work to protect that right for all real Americans.

Racist hypocrites.

OK- If Muslims were not Americas #1 enemy, you might have a point.

-Geaux
Depends ...

If he's white, he has that right as well as the right to his religious beliefs and we should all work to protect that right for all real Americans.

Racist hypocrites.

-Geaux

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about an American professional basketball player. I'll read it again and look for where it said he's a Muslim terrorist.

:rolleyes-41:

Muslimsvsguns.jpg

Those that condemn all Musims for actions of these monsters are just as foolish as those that blame all gun owners for the actions of a handful idiots.
I agree, but I don`t know of anyone who blames all gun owners for the actions of criminals and crazy people. Most gun owners do not support this organization that helps the wrong people acquire weapons.

Depends ...

Racist hypocrites.

-Geaux
Depends ...

Racist hypocrites.

-Geaux

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about an American professional basketball player. I'll read it again and look for where it said he's a Muslim terrorist.

:rolleyes-41:

Muslimsvsguns.jpg

Those that condemn all Musims for actions of these monsters are just as foolish as those that blame all gun owners for the actions of a handful idiots.
I agree, but I don`t know of anyone who blames all gun owners for the actions of criminals and crazy people. Most gun owners do not support this organization that helps the wrong people acquire weapons.

Of course they do not. Everytime a dreadful and shocking act is committed with a gun, politicians and anti-gun organizations try and craft more restrictive laws. These laws only punish lawfully gun owning citizens. A criminal hell bent on murder isn't detered by any these of new laws.

Apparently, he's never had a problem with standing for the National Anthem before or since. otherwise we would have heard about this before and afterwards.
Here's a theory and it wouldn't surprise me if there is quite a bit of truth to this theory.
Dion Waiters calls report he skipped national anthem due to being Muslim ‘a damn lie’
"Waiters was replaced by Shawn Marion in the starting lineup for the game at Utah. He may — may — have not been too thrilled with this, and decided to take some extra time mentally preparing (or pouting) before tip-off, and missed the national anthem. When asked about it, Waiters may — may — have made up the whole religion thing, either as an attempt at humor or simply to diffuse any potential controversy surrounding the situation.
Whatever Waiters’ reasoning was, both for missing the anthem and for telling a reporter something he felt like denying the next day, is something only he can know. But much like the original story that came out, all of this additional attention focused on the team isn’t something the Cavaliers need as they struggle to find themselves in the early stages of the season."
Dion Waiters calls report he skipped national anthem due to being Muslim 8216 a damn lie 8217 ProBasketballTalk

Dion Waiters has never been a "Role Model" during his NBA career. He's been somewhat of a cancer to the Clevland Cavaliers. He's moody and disruptive. He's also a very good basketball player. If he was just an average professional player, his team wouldn't put up with all the crap he has pulled, but alas he's much better than your average player.
Sooner or later his attitude will catch up to him as there is annually new very good talent entering the league that will make him dispensable. Think Stephan Marbury or Andrew Bynum who are no longer in the NBA.

Last edited:
I'm curious - do foreign players have to stand for the national anthem?

I am guessing most do out of respect, but even so....does it really make sense for people to demand a Chinese or Spanish or Syrian person stand for the US national anthem?

I am guessing most do out of respect, but even so....does it really make sense for people to demand a Chinese or Spanish or Syrian person stand for the US national anthem?

Along the same lines, other than in the Olympics, do the US players stand for the national anthems of other nations?

Only if they want to continue being employed here in the United State of America. It's a show of RESPECT for the tradition.

I go to probably a half dozen sporting events a year where the Canadian national anthem is played. I have ZERO respect for Canada, but I stand quietly and politely while "O Canada" is played/sung. It's not out of respect for the nation or the anthem, but out of respect for the TRADITION.

Only if they want to continue being employed here in the United State of America. It's a show of RESPECT for the tradition.

I go to probably a half dozen sporting events a year where the Canadian national anthem is played. I have ZERO respect for Canada, but I stand quietly and politely while "O Canada" is played/sung. It's not out of respect for the nation or the anthem, but out of respect for the TRADITION.

I agree - I'd do the same in any country I was in.

So you guys are all for religious freedom unless it's a religion you don't like.

Incidently, I have no idea, does the NBA have a rule that all their players have to stand for the national anthem?

No Joe. I HAVE A RULE they do. Muslims to boot

-Geaux

So you have a rule that requires everyone to stand for the National Anthem. JoeyB has a rule that gun dealers who sell guns that are used to commit murders go to jail, whether they followed the rules or not.

The good news is that neither of you get to make rules for everyone else. You follow your rule.

No one is saying there ought to be a law. However, it is disrespectful. Considering it is this country and the liberty for which it stands that allows him to pursue his happiness and live a lifestyle that most only envy.

You saying it is not a slap in the face or disrespectful?

Fucking morons.

Depends ...

Racist hypocrites.

wow, you have a lot of hate inside of you. I feel sorry for the people around you

I agree that the moderate muslims should speak out against the terrorist acts of the radicals.

But forcing someone to stand for the national anthem goes against everything we stand for.

I agree we shouldn't force him to stand, but we have a right to, and should, criticize him for not standing. There was another muslim basketball player formerly named Chris Jackson (changed his name to Muhammed Abdul Rauf) who also refused to stand during the National Anthèm. Maybe we should be looking at this religion and seeing if it clashes with our values as Americans, which it appears to do.

Anathema -

I'd stand in every country, myself. To my mind its simply a sign of respect.

It's much like all the nonsense about Obama bowing in Asia. Everyone bows in Asia, myself included. It's no different from a handshake in the US.

If people travel around the world ignoring those customs, it isn't going to do a lot for international relations. Politness costs nothing.

The only players that have ever had a problem in standing for any national anthem is Muslim players. Hmmm..

So what do you think?

Why you ask does he not stand?

Mr. XXX said it's because he's... that's right-

Muslim :up_yours:

Can't stand for the National Anthem of this country but instead they stand to cut off your head

Just as I thought

More bulletin board material for Patriots

-Geaux

--------------------------------------

Dion Waiters, an NBA player for the Cleveland Cavaliers, was nowhere to be found when the national anthem was being sung before his team’s game against the Utah Jazz on Wednesday. Waiters says the reason he excused himself prior to the national anthem is that he’s a Muslim acting in accordance with his religious beliefs.

If so-called “moderate Muslims” really wanted things to get better, they would stand and sing at the top of their lungs for America and hope we, as a country, survive and eliminate evil-doers all over the world.
Send him to Syria or Russia, that's what I think.

Read more at NBA player refuses to stand for national anthem but it 8217 s the reason why that 8217 s so disturbing

The only players that have ever had a problem in standing for any national anthem is Muslim players. Hmmm..
That's because the only thing Muslims have allegiance to is allah. They will never assimilate to western culture or separation of church and state. Islam is a theocracy and that's the only government they will recognize.

Anathema -

I'd stand in every country, myself. To my mind its simply a sign of respect.

It's much like all the nonsense about Obama bowing in Asia. Everyone bows in Asia, myself included. It's no different from a handshake in the US.

If people travel around the world ignoring those customs, it isn't going to do a lot for international relations. Politness costs nothing.

No one criticize d Obozo for bowing in Asia. We criticize d him for bowing in countries like Saudi Arabia.

Forum List

Back