What do you think about sex ed?

i taught sex ed....it is very needed...the reason...most adults have no clue about sex...much less how to explain or teach anything about it....too embarressed ...or get this....only know slang terms...kids should be taught about their bodies in proper terms..you do not have a wee wee or a pee pee...its a penis or vagina....and then the misconceptions on when one can become preggies....but dont worry....what i have notice of late in the teenage girls is when they get clap..its clap of the throat.
oral sex is the rage now days....seems they do not think it counts...at a time when having sex can result in your death...(aids) i am all for freedom of information...parents can teach morals...let schools teach facts.

i dont think clinton invented oral sex....i can see their little bean brains points and logic.....no chance of getting preggies...they do not have a clue of the other risks...most do not know you can, in rare, cases get aids from oral sex. then there is the concept of "rainbow" parties....

It is nothing more and nothing less than indoctrination

How is teaching kids how the reproductive system works an indoctrination? And into what, exactly?

they teach em about gay sex, an anus is not part of the reproductive system

Once again, the question, as I understood it, was "Should sex-ed be taught in school?" Not "What do you think is going on right now?" That is what I answered.. It in no way solicited a comment about it being an indoctrination.

How is teaching kids how the reproductive system works an indoctrination? And into what, exactly?

Once again, the question, as I understood it, was "Should sex-ed be taught in school?" Not "What do you think is going on right now?" That is what I answered.. It in no way solicited a comment about it being an indoctrination.

discuusions of reproduction are fine, anything more than that is indoctrinaton

sorry, but i think home schooling is the absolute worst thing u can do for ur kid-- most kids need the discipline of a school based environment and unless u'r home all the time u just can't make sure the kid keeps up with what he/she has to learn-- quote me stats. all u want but later in life when that child has to interact with others they won't have the foundation of socialization with their peers-- i think it stunts their development honestly-- to think that abstinence works is tough to believe as well-- young budding kids are "hard pressed to keep it in their pants" so to speak-- parents should start very early making sure that kids are not ashamed of their bodies and make sure they know how to respect one another-- i also don't see a lot wrong with making a child wait until say 17 or so to "date"-- it's when they have no guidence and discipline that they stray-- keep them away from all the biblical crap if u can as that will just make them want to rebel against those fairy tales when they are able-- nothing wrong with instilling a healthy fear of STD's either-- it still boggles my mind to hear of ANY unwanted pregnancies anymore in this nation-- there is simply no excuse for it other than a poor upbringing-- just my two cents-- Regards, probus

Home schooling has it's cons, but so does public education.

I think we've seen the results of teaching kids all about sex without giving them any moral compass. Except in the most rural of areas any youngster can get birth control. And I live in the most rural of areas...we have a clinic right here that will provide free care and birth control. I think the experiment that was "all kids are going to have sex so let's accomodate them" has failed miserably, so we need to come back to the middle...teaching them about their bodies while sending a clear message that they aren't old enough to shoulder the responsibilities of an active sex life.

And the people who have babies are the ones who want to. You tell kids they can have sex, they'll think they're old enough to have babies. And part of being a child is play-acting at adulthood.

I think part of the reason that I think sex ed might be counter productive is that people's emotional and physical growth vary so very much. What might be imperitive for one kid to learn (I found an article on line about a girl who of 14 who was trying to raise her 3 year old daughter) and for others it is very counter productive and emotionally traumatizing. The folks who have the most knowledge of the kids needs should be responsible for handling this very delicate issue.
Not that the teachers aren't trying hard on this, but they really have a hard time making math lessons that can spread across 25 intellects. Working across the minefields of intellect, emotion and all the other stuff seems way too much for folks who are having trouble making them understand ordinary english conjugation, let alone the the reverse english conjugation that is sexuality.

My two older boys weren't allowed to date until they were 16. Neither ever complained about it. They did social things, as a group. It effectively removed them from the awful mess that is being 13-16 and going through adolescence, and also trying to manage a love life.

I think they were relieved. And when they turned 16 they both had girls waiting to date them.

You misunderstood the question, then. Try reading the thread title. It's "what do you think about sex ed?"

LOL...

Well this is beautiful... as it is a CLASSIC illustration of what's wrong with Sex Ed...

First, Sex Ed is presented as "Education"... when it's indoctrination...

Let just examine the following couple of posts, by a self professed teacher of "Sex Ed..."

Notice how she presents Sex Ed... highlighted in Blue... It's all about the SCIENTIFIC UNDERSTANDING; EDUCATING CHILDREN IN THE BIOLOGY OF THEIR BODIES!

i taught sex ed....it is very needed...the reason...most adults have no clue about sex...much less how to explain or teach anything about it....too embarressed ...or get this....only know slang terms...kids should be taught about their bodies in proper terms..you do not have a wee wee or a pee pee...its a penis or vagina...

.and then the misconceptions on when one can become preggies

But when the conversation turns to the RESULTS of 'hookin up...' the SCIENCE quickly returns to slang... quaint little terms to reduce the stigma; thus offset the ramifications; the judgement... disarmed. "You didn't get PREGNANT! No, no sweety... you're just a little "preggers"... and while I wish you woulda avoided that, we 'can take care of it'..."

i dont think clinton invented oral sex....i can see their little bean brains points and logic.....no chance of getting preggies...they do not have a clue of the other risks...most do not know you can, in rare, cases get aids from oral sex. then there is the concept of "rainbow" parties....

Here, the same member simply rejects the YEARS of Clinton leadership which blazed the Oral-Sex trail... wherein he 'de-Personalized' oral-sex; which demonstrates PERFECTLY the indoctrination element...

The fact is, where one takes morality out of the equation; all that's left is the biology... and where one believes that they understand the biology, they can safely engage in the behavior by simply utilizing that knowledge; where the worst case scenario is they 'get a little preggies' or some other disease they can get a shot to 'cure'...

I thought this was going to be a really fun thread... Then I saw that last word, "ed". Darn it. Well, seeing as how you asked. I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to sex ed. Both of my kids are grown and left the nest long ago and are parents on their own. I would not have wanted some school teacher giving them the low down on sex. Sex ed, if the parents are responsible like they should be, is something that should be taught in the home. I think it should be a private matter so the morals and ethics that go along with sex could be taught by the parents along their own religious guidelines (if that would apply) or according to the values the parents want the kids to learn. This is just my opinion, but the school system has no business teaching kids this stuff.
Obviously, from the facts presented, some parents fail to educate their kids about pregnancy and std prevention.
Europe has far fewer incidents of both.

You misunderstood the question, then. Try reading the thread title. It's "what do you think about sex ed?"

You're right. My bad. I misread it.

Fiorst there is no place in the country of which I am aware that doesn't have sex education. So unless it's all home schoolers leading the way sex ed has nothing to do with it. And the corresponding information regarding kids saying that haven't heard about birth control or condoms just reveals that kids don't pay much if any more attention to what is being taught in those classes than they do to say math, science, geography, and history. Neil Boortz has quoted at least one study in which there apppeared to be no difference in outcome between kids with abstinence only sex ed and kids who are cycled through condom give away programs.

By the way I find it at least mildly interesting that when Republicans control congress the rates go down while the rates appear to go up when the Dems are in charge of congress.

I am curious for your honest feedback.

Pregnancy, STDs on the Rise Again Among U.S. Teens

Birth rates among U.S. teens increased in 2006 and 2007, following large declines from 1991 to 2005, according to a new U.S. government study

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention researchers analyzed national data from 2002-2007. Among their findings:

About one-third of adolescents hadn't received instruction on methods of birth control before age 18.

In 2004, there were about 745,000 pregnancies among females younger than age 20. This included an estimated 16,000 pregnancies among girls aged 10 to 14.

Syphilis cases among young people aged 15 to 24 have increased in both males and females in recent years.

In 2006, about one million young people aged 10 to 24 were reported to have chlamydia, gonorrhea or syphilis. Nearly one-quarter of females aged 15 to 19, and 45 percent of females aged 20 to 24 had a human papillomavirus (HPV) infection during 2003-2004.

From 1997 to 2006, rates of AIDS cases among males aged 15 to 24 increased.

In 2006, the majority of new diagnoses of HIV infection among young people occurred among males and those aged 20 to 24.

From 2004 to 2006, about 100,000 females aged 10 to 24 visited a hospital emergency department for nonfatal sexual assault, including 30,000 females aged 10 to 14.

Pregnancy, STDs on the Rise Again Among U.S. Teens - ABC News

Is this partly attributable to abstinence only education? What might be leading to worse trends (STDs and etc) among teens?

I'm curious..how can it be attributed to "absintence only" education when "abstinence only" education doesn't exist except in tiny, isolated groups.

These increase is not in populations of home-schooled Christian kids. It's in the cities. And it's more evidence that making abortion available, teaching kids that it's okay to have sex because there's a "cure" for whatever results, and refusing to teach them any sense of responsibility has negative consequences. Not positive.

Well, that was why I asked whether it *was* attributable, I didn't say it was.

I don't know how the stats break down, but I do recall hearing somewhere else that rural areas are having an explosion of syphilis and gonorrhea.

It might have been this but this is pretty old so I think it was something more recent (>2000) :

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/143/3/269.pdf

FTR I am not concerned about the pregnanices but am about the STDs that include AIDS (which has increased).

Yes there is a huge percentage increse in rural areas. Exactly what it means is largely debateable. The only thing it almost certainly means is there weren't very many cases there to begin with.

You've got two cases of gonorrea in your small town you get a third and voila you have a fifty percent increase. The same raw number increase in New York wouldn't even show up in percentage data.

I am curious for your honest feedback.
Pregnancy, STDs on the Rise Again Among U.S. Teens - ABC News

Is this partly attributable to abstinence only education? What might be leading to worse trends (STDs and etc) among teens?

I don't have empirical evidence to support my opinion, so accept it as such.

Sexual education in the school system is unnecessary and is now being used as a crutch by parents that are failing to fulfill their parental obligations.

I think schools can and should fulfill the biological facts and education about the human body which would include subjects such as pregnancy and STD's. It is not the schools responsibility to teach things such as proper condom usage, oral sex, mutual masturbation, etc.
Parents have the responsibility to provide sex-ed to their children. My parents did it for me and my siblings, I did it for my children.
I think some parents want to abdicate that responsibility to the schools because they are too cowardly to be parents, then they want to blame the education system for failing as soon as an unwanted pregnancy or STD rears it's ugly head.

If kids are taught sex is ok in school, they are offered up the notion that no sexuality is bad sexuality, and they come home to see mom with her boyfriend du jour on the couch, you're going to continue to have pregnancy and std issues.

Forum List

Back