What do we make of this?

hansom

Rookie
Feb 13, 2009
Obama, on the 1996 Welfare Reform, in 1998:

"Uh, I was not a wild... a huge supporter of the federal plan that was signed in 1996. Having said that, I do think that there is a potential political opportunity that arose out of welfare reform, and that is to desegregate the welfare population, meaning the undeserving poor -- black folks in cities, from the working poor -- deserving, white, rural as well as suburban. Now you've got just a bunch of folks who are struggling at the bottom of the economic ladder."

He characterized the people being harmed (by past welfare reform) as black, as if to say that only the 'deserving white' folks were getting help under the present program. Yes, that was 10 years ago, but today he's pushing for the old welfare system, which tells me nothing's changed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks and smells like racism to me.

Obama, on the 1996 Welfare Reform, in 1998:

"Uh, I was not a wild... a huge supporter of the federal plan that was signed in 1996. Having said that, I do think that there is a potential political opportunity that arose out of welfare reform, and that is to desegregate the welfare population, meaning the undeserving poor -- black folks in cities, from the working poor -- deserving, white, rural as well as suburban. Now you've got just a bunch of folks who are struggling at the bottom of the economic ladder."

He characterized the people being harmed (by past welfare reform) as black, as if to say that only the 'deserving white' folks were getting help under the present program. Yes, that was 10 years ago, but today he's pushing for the old welfare system, which tells me nothing's changed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks and smells like racism to me.

I'd make more of it if you had a source.

The welfare reforms of 96 were wildly successful. They resulted in welfare workers changing their attitudes from "you loser, you're on welfare" to "we will do anything we can to help you help yourself." They have been successful in people climb up out of welfare, through accountability and job training.

This will result in an end to the employment programs we have, and we'll be right back to the thing where bitchy workers tally every gift or every step forward as a big black mark against welfare recipients.

I also got 1 of 1 hit but lower down I also go this text:
Similar pages: In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.
Which is a secondary link to THIS VIDEO of Mr. Obama actually saying those words verbatim.

Click on FREEDOM EDEN: 1998 Video: Obama and Welfare Reform
(you'll have to scroll down near the bottom of the page for VIDEO screen)
Am I confused about this?

Last edited:
Welfare reform depended on being able to find jobs for those welfare to work types.

It worked to some extent because a lot of women I know working as tellers in banks started out as welfare recipeients.

It is going to be rather difficult for people on welfare now to find those entry level jobs now, though.

whale.gif

i hope this is helpful in making something out of this

Forum List

Back