CDZ What CAN the President do with classified information?

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Recent events have me wondering if the President can pretty much declare what he wants classified or what regulations exist?

I could link to news articles but I think we pretty much know what is bringing it up and I'm more concerned right now about the regulations than the he said / she said until the dust settles.

Recent events have me wondering if the President can pretty much declare what he wants classified or what regulations exist?

I could link to news articles but I think we pretty much know what is bringing it up and I'm more concerned right now about the regulations than the he said / she said until the dust settles.

This is another bogus issue. Do you think the President shouldn't talk to Israel about terrorism or China about NK nuclear weapons?

What a President should NOT do is tell the Russians he can be more "flexible" with them AFTER an election.

Classified Information rules are established by Executive Orders. In other words, The President of the United States is the ultimate authority for classifying information.

Ok. So the President can do whatever he wants with classified information, no checks or balances.

I honestly did not know.

The "checks and balances" built into the Constitution have to do with the separation of powers between the Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branches of our government, not political talking points.

The President has the power to use information and disclose information as he sees fit. The issue here is that the US received this information from the Israelis with specific instructions that it NOT be given to the Russians and Trump disregarded their wishes.

How willing will your allies be to share Intel with Americans in future, if you're not respecting the terms under which it was shared? Their sources and agents are at risk when they share. Loose lips put sources in danger.

4 Questions About Declassifying and Disclosing Government Secrets

First and foremost, anyone who has ever served in the military or government knows that rules for dealing with classified material are contained in Executive Orders. In other words, it’s THE PRESIDENT who is the final authority on the subject.

1.) Did Trump Have Legal Authority to Disclose the Information?

Damn right he did!

2.) What Information Did Trump Disclose, and Was It Appropriate to Do So?

It doesn’t make one bit of difference!

3.) How Are the Rules for Declassifications and Disclosures Set?

The rules of classification are governed by an executive order—not by congressional statute—that is periodically updated by different presidents.

4.) How Does the US Rely on Other Countries for Intelligence?

Read the whole thing @ Trump’s Disclosure to Russia Raises Legal Questions About Classified Information

An Israeli spy is now in jeopardy following the disclosure of classified information.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

An Israeli spy is now in jeopardy following the disclosure of classified information.

This sounds like more Valerie Plame "outing" nonsense. Besides, didn't the Russians recently recognize West Jerusalem as the capital of Israel?

4 Questions About Declassifying and Disclosing Government Secrets

First and foremost, anyone who has ever served in the military or government knows that rules for dealing with classified material are contained in Executive Orders. In other words, it’s THE PRESIDENT who is the final authority on the subject.

1.) Did Trump Have Legal Authority to Disclose the Information?

Damn right he did!

2.) What Information Did Trump Disclose, and Was It Appropriate to Do So?

It doesn’t make one bit of difference!

3.) How Are the Rules for Declassifications and Disclosures Set?

The rules of classification are governed by an executive order—not by congressional statute—that is periodically updated by different presidents.

4.) How Does the US Rely on Other Countries for Intelligence?

Read the whole thing @ Trump’s Disclosure to Russia Raises Legal Questions About Classified Information
If Trump can not keep his mouth shut, other countries as well as our own intel services will find it necessary to hold information from him.

What CAN the President do with classified information?

Are you expecting a serious answer to the title question? If so, do you mean the answer to be given with regard to the current POTUS?

The President can do what he wants with classified information. He can declassify it and broadcast it to the world if he chooses.

BUT, if he does so, and sources are compromised or endangered, how willing will the source of that information be to tell Americans other stuff which endangered their life?

The information Trump shared with the Russians came from Israel with specific instructions that it NOT be given to the Russians.

THAT is the problem with Trump sharing this Intel.

Are you expecting a serious answer to the title question? If so, do you mean the answer to be given with regard to the current POTUS?

I know this is difficult to understand, but to OP is INFORMATIONAL for those who want to learn and understand.

The President can do what he wants with classified information. He can declassify it and broadcast it to the world if he chooses.

BUT, if he does so, and sources are compromised or endangered, how willing will the source of that information be to tell Americans other stuff which endangered their life?

The information Trump shared with the Russians came from Israel with specific instructions that it NOT be given to the Russians.

I don't see where the president said anything about where the information came from or how it was developed. That came from the treasonous left out to do everything possible to put road blocks in from of President Trump.

I know this is difficult to understand, but to OP is INFORMATIONAL for those who want to learn and understand.
Well, assuming you're correct, the OP will answer "no" to my first question. The first sentence of the OP suggests, however, that it is not informational, unless, of course, the information it aims to impart is providing an awareness about what the OP-er wonders.

I know this is hard for you to understand -- and I know it because you declared the OP as informational rather than interrogative -- but that question mark at the end of the sentence strongly suggests it's not informational, but rather that its writer seeks information.

Last edited:
'Classified' or 'TS' data or information its own thing apart form the president. Much of what the president does is assembled from government offices who's higher functions lead from NSA and Central Intelligence class information which is often then processed into his agenda and used to formulate executive policy.

The president is not a subvert to the state of Israel or its intelligence or politics, dems boof it up again.

Yeah, this was just a new situation. I was curious what the legal limits were.

Sometimes asking an honest question has the benefit of showing who is a crazy pom pom squad member or cheerleader for a particular party. This shows who's opinion or statements I should value less in other posts. That was an unintended benefit.

I don't see where the president said anything about where the information came from or how it was developed. That came from the treasonous left out to do everything possible to put road blocks in from of President Trump.

Trump then blurted out that he didn't mention Israel in that meeting at the press conference with Netanyahu. The presser was over but he called everyone back to blurt this out. If looks could kill, the SS would have had to take Bibi down because he sure looked pissed.

Then there's telling the Philippine President where your subs are. That went over well at the Pentagon.

Trump said that anyone who is careless with classified information should lose access to it. Time to take Donnie's security clearance away since he's very careless with Intel.

Forum List

Back