What are your thoughts on Communitarianism?

Pedro de San Patricio

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2015
California
"Communitarianism is a philosophy that emphasizes the connection between the individual and the community. Although the community might be a family unit, communitarianism usually is understood, in the wider, philosophical sense, as a collection of interactions, among a community of people in a given place (geographical location), or among a community who share an interest or who share a history. Communitarian philosophy is based upon the belief that a person's social identity and personality are largely molded by community relationships : with a smaller degree of development being placed on individualism."

Conservatives think we're Communists. Libertarians think we're Fascists. Liberals think we're ultraconservatives. What do you think we are?

I think we're fucked. Religious beliefs, family values, honesty, and truthfulness have all taken a back seat to Political Correctness to the point that "communitarianism" is all but impossible.

"Communitarianism is a philosophy that emphasizes the connection between the individual and the community. Although the community might be a family unit, communitarianism usually is understood, in the wider, philosophical sense, as a collection of interactions, among a community of people in a given place (geographical location), or among a community who share an interest or who share a history. Communitarian philosophy is based upon the belief that a person's social identity and personality are largely molded by community relationships : with a smaller degree of development being placed on individualism."

Conservatives think we're Communists. Libertarians think we're Fascists. Liberals think we're ultraconservatives. What do you think we are?
To me it sounds like confused people who can't figure out what the hell they want to be. I understand been there done that.

To me it sounds like confused people who can't figure out what the hell they want to be. I understand been there done that.
My drug-induced college years come to mind.

Then I graduated, got a job, married, and raised children. That was enough to make a Republican out of me.

Since then, I suppose that I've been a "Communitarian" in that I have always been in service to every community within which I have lived over the years. Four different communities since 1977. Chambers of Commerce, Tourism Bureaus, an Historic Preservation Commission, service organizations, Economic Development committees, numerous volunteer roles, even a substitute teacher.

I don't quite get the OP launching into "Conservatives think we're Communists", etc. That's a bit fucked up.

Forum List

Back