What are you listening to?

The House of the Rising Sun

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster. In 1927 Ivy Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

Vocalion Records had a beautiful inner segment, here's the above 10" 78 RPM A Side and B Side.

R-7030977-1432075003-6072.jpeg.jpg

R-7030977-1432075003-2796.jpeg.jpg

As I mentioned Iva Smith's "Rising Sun Blues" also, here it is, with Cow Cow Davenport on the piano and Booker T. Winfield on the cornet.

Iva Smith and Cow Cow Davenport "Rising Sun Blues" recorded January 26th 1927 and released in 1927 on 10" 78 RPM on Paramount Records...."Rising Sun Blues" is the B Side, the A Side is "My Own Man Blues"

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster. In 1927 Ivy Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Clarence "Tom" Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

Vocalion Records had a beautiful inner segment, here's the above 10" 78 RPM A Side and B Side.

As I mentioned Iva Smith's "Rising Sun Blues" also, here it is, with Cow Cow Davenport on the piano and Booker T. Winfield on the cornet.

Iva Smith and Cow Cow Davenport "Rising Sun Blues" recorded January 26th 1927 and released in 1927 on 10" 78 RPM on Paramount Records...."Rising Sun Blues" is the B Side, the A Side is "My Own Man Blues"

"Cow Cow" always brings this to mind...

When Ella starts to scat it's just... unreal
shakehead.gif

Just thought of this for whatever reason (bad eyesight probably) ---

The title of the thread is "What are you listening to", which is correct English.

In New Orleans though, you don't "listen to" --- you "listen at". As if you're casting your aural observational powers toward something.

Seems to me like "to" is more active whereas "at" is more passive. :dunno:

Lucy Hamilton

Pogo I do not understand this :confused-84:

So in New Orleans they'd say what are you listening at?

Yup. "listening at".

Strange isn't it?

Yes to say the least.

Just thought of this for whatever reason (bad eyesight probably) ---

The title of the thread is "What are you listening to", which is correct English.

In New Orleans though, you don't "listen to" --- you "listen at". As if you're casting your aural observational powers toward something.

Seems to me like "to" is more active whereas "at" is more passive. :dunno:

Lucy Hamilton

Pogo I do not understand this :confused-84:

So in New Orleans they'd say what are you listening at?

I have no clue what he's talking about. Lol. :D

"I have no clue what he's talking about. Lol. :D"

Well as I have the key to the padlock on the liquor cabinet, if Pogo has been drinking he's taken an axe to the padlock....and, well this means he's in trouble when I check the damage :meow:

I'm not familiar with anything from the 20s or 30s, unless maybe it's been covered more recently.

Hey, that's why we're here :)

It's a treasure. There weren't all these labels put on music like "country", "jazz", blues" etc in the relentless charge to pigeonhole everything, pave it over and market it for maximum profit --- yet. You got a whole lot of creativity straight from the heart.

You got some crap too but that's necessary and it's always there.

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Tom Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster. In 1927 Ivy Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Tom Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

:clap2: Beautiful. That's an outstanding transcription. That's part of what I do professionally so I appreciate it -- that's fine work right there.

There was a yuuuge leap in recording quality from the '20s to the '30s.

I've had this obsession with records since I was about 10 years-old.

There's this man and he wants to sell his collection of 78 RPM records, he has roughly 600 of them, we're arranging to meet so I can look through them and I'll take from him all the Blues, Rhythm & Blues and any Jazz ones, except that awful Dixieland Jazz stuff which I hate, two things I hate Dixieland Jazz and anything with a banjo on, I detest the banjo.

In my Totalitarian Dictatorship EVERY banjo will be seized on and publicly sledgehammered in the street.

Black Lilies - Catherine
...love songs that tell stories...we were born to fly! :)

Sergeant Foster, tell me now straight
Four thousand pounds of fire and we’re in overweight
You say you don’t believe we’ll ever get her off the ground
Don’t worry, sergeant she ain’t never let me down
No she ain’t never let me down

Up here with the birds and the angels and the bombs
Eighty-nine missions and I ain’t twenty-one
Thinking of my mother and the girl I left behind
Come on silver darling, we were born to fly
Yeah we were born to fly

And my Catherine, carry me on your wings
To Lake Michigan and childhood dreams
Where the Red Arrow Highway cuts right through our town
Nothing but blue skies and fire on the ground

Remember them German boys from Chicago town
Marching down main street and nobody made a sound
I wasn’t but a child then, and I ain’t much older now
Looking back through the smoke and flames, they never saw it coming down
No they never saw it coming down

Traveled across the ocean, been all around this land
Pontedera, Italy … got drunk in Paris, France
Crossed that old Rhine River, can’t be much longer now
Have you heard the news today? We’re all heroes now!
Yeah we’re all heroes now

Odetta

The Animals

This song "The House of The Rising Sun", originally called "Rising Sun Blues" when first recorded, the oldest known recording of it is from 1933 by Tom Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster. In 1927 Ivy Smith had a recording "Rising Sun Blues" but it has no relation to this, it's a completely different song, but has the same title.

Tom Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster "Rising Sun Blues" recorded September 6th 1933 and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1934 on Vocalion Records....the B Side is "East Virginia Blues"

:clap2: Beautiful. That's an outstanding transcription. That's part of what I do professionally so I appreciate it -- that's fine work right there.

There's this man and he wants to sell his collection of 78 RPM records, he has roughly 600 of them, we're arranging to meet so I can look through them and I'll take from him all the Blues, Rhythm & Blues and any Jazz ones, except that awful Dixieland Jazz stuff which I hate, two things I hate Dixieland Jazz and anything with a banjo on, I detest the banjo.

In my Totalitarian Dictatorship EVERY banjo will be seized on and publicly sledgehammered in the street.

I did not know this about you --- you know what, I have a banjo right here, two meters away. You're inspiring me to pick it up.

Matter of fact I think I'll play it at our wedding.
livestock~01-05-04-emotbanjo.gif

Odetta

The Animals

I did not know this about you --- you know what, I have a banjo right here, two meters away. You're inspiring me to pick it up.

You are just inviting trouble now :meow:

Odetta

The Animals

Oh no, we ain't even started.

I recognize reverse psychology when I see it. So here you go, as requested, this is my favorite banjo player, Alison Brown. I like to describe her as "the banjo player Béla Fleck wishes he was".... :lol:

Oh no, we ain't even started.

I recognize reverse psychology when I see it. So here you go, as requested, this is my favorite banjo player, Alison Brown. I like to describe her as "the banjo player Béla Fleck wishes he was".... :lol:

Pogo that was great :lalala: :popcorn:

Stan Rogers - The Mary Ellen Carter

She went down last October in a pouring driving rain.
The skipper, he'd been drinking and the Mate, he felt no pain.
Too close to Three Mile Rock, and she was dealt her mortal blow,
And the Mary Ellen Carter settled low.
There were just us five aboard her when she finally was awash.
We'd worked like hell to save her, all heedless of the cost.
And the groan she gave as she went down, it caused us to proclaim
That the Mary Ellen Carter would rise again.

Well, the owners wrote her off; not a nickel would they spend.
She gave twenty years of service, boys, then met her sorry end.
But insurance paid the loss to us, they let her rest below.
Then they laughed at us and said we had to go.
But we talked of her all winter, some days around the clock,
For she's worth a quarter million, afloat and at the dock.
And with every jar that hit the bar, we swore we would remain
And make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

Rise again, rise again, that her name not be lost
To the knowledge of men.
Those who loved her best and were with her till the end
Will make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again.

All spring, now, we've been with her on a barge lent by a friend.
Three dives a day in hard hat suit and twice I've had the bends.
Thank God it's only sixty feet and the currents here are slow
Or I'd never have the strength to go below.
But we've patched her rents, stopped her vents, dogged hatch and
porthole down.
Put cables to her, 'fore and aft and girded her around.
Tomorrow, noon, we hit the air and then take up the strain.
And make the Mary Ellen Carter Rise Again.

For we couldn't leave her there, you see, to crumble into scale.
She'd saved our lives so many times, living through the gale
And the laughing, drunken rats who left her to a sorry grave
They won't be laughing in another day. . .
And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken
And life about to end
No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend.
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.

Forum List

Back