What are the underlying principles of Modern liberalism?

I'm a self-described "liberal".

I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-DADT repeal.

I'm in favor of a simple, progressive tax system.
I'm in favor of expanding medicare, and social security.

I'm against all nanny-state, "healthy" laws. I smoke cigarettes, I drink.
I'm anti-prohibition. That applies to all drugs, prostitution, etc.
I'm against special interests controlling congress. I disagree with the Citizens United decision.

On Global Warming, I agree with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZATION, and believe that climate change exists, and we're making it worse.

On most issues, I'll come down on the same side as the ACLU.

On some issues, I'll come down on the same side as the NRA.

On the Political Compass test, I'm in the mid left, far bottom.
You didn't answer the OP's question. You just read off a laundry list of "wants" and "beliefs".

Again, "What are the underlying principles of modern Liberalism?".

I know it's Communism but you libs will never admit it.

So what are right winger "underlying principles"?

Stop abortion

stop gays

schools need religion

stop education

apologize to oil companies

phase out school lunches

end taxes for corporations and millionaires

end the EPA

move retirement to 75

cut SS, Medicare and Medicaid

Every man for himself

Stop abortion

stop gays

schools need religion

stop education

phase out school lunches

end the EPA

move retirement to 75

Every man for himself
In stead of hijacking this thread with your usual left wing talking points from HuffPo, why don't you start a new thread? "Conservative Principles, not "rightwinger principles" either.

Last edited:
I'm a self-described "liberal".

I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-DADT repeal.

I'm in favor of a simple, progressive tax system.
I'm in favor of expanding medicare, and social security.

I'm against all nanny-state, "healthy" laws. I smoke cigarettes, I drink.
I'm anti-prohibition. That applies to all drugs, prostitution, etc.
I'm against special interests controlling congress. I disagree with the Citizens United decision.

On Global Warming, I agree with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZATION, and believe that climate change exists, and we're making it worse.

On most issues, I'll come down on the same side as the ACLU.

On some issues, I'll come down on the same side as the NRA.

On the Political Compass test, I'm in the mid left, far bottom.
You didn't answer the OP's question. You just read off a laundry list of "wants" and "beliefs".

Again, "What are the underlying principles of modern Liberalism?".

I know it's Communism but you libs will never admit it.

pro human rights

pro American workers

pro fair taxes

I don't know. Sounds like "underlying principles" to me. Funny, you call those "communism" simply by being on the side of middle America. Yet, it's right wing leadership who have so much unending support for China. Go figure.

Well, if you're the civilized one, why are you unable to read and respond to points that are made? I'm not referring to my posts but all the discussions you're in. Your posts are generally sarcastic comments like this that have nothing to do with the post you responded to. If your views were right, you would want to hold people to their statements and views. Rather you participate in every discussion while not advancing any because you don't grasp the discussion. I'm not saying this as an "insult." It's what you do. I seldom if ever see you actually address a post you're quoting.

I don't insult anyone personally unless they insult me. And if disagreement with views are an insult..yeah..I do that alot.
:clap2:

I didn't say anything about you insulting people...thank you for demonstrating my point....

Whatever.

I am not a "textualist" and read further into posts. If I get it wrong..I say so.

Stop abortion

stop gays

schools need religion

stop education

phase out school lunches

end the EPA

move retirement to 75

Every man for himself
In stead of hijacking this thread with your usual left wing talking points from HuffPo, why don't you start a new thread?

Why don't you. Here's your list of right wing "values". Notice you couldn't disagree with any.

I don't insult anyone personally unless they insult me. And if disagreement with views are an insult..yeah..I do that alot.
:clap2:

I didn't say anything about you insulting people...thank you for demonstrating my point....

Whatever.

I am not a "textualist" and read further into posts. If I get it wrong..I say so.
This is pretty close...for you. I'm not referring to "strict" reading of people's text, I'm saying your points are non sequitors with the posts you are responding to. I also said you frequently make sarcastic comments that don't address their point.

Your response was to say that I said you were insulting people, which isn't what I said. It's not just not "strictly" following what I said, it isn't what I said. I was referring to your logic (or in this case lack thereof). What was even funnier was you followed that up with a sarcastic comment that if disagreement is an insult then you do insult.

So, your response completely missed my point and you made a sarcastic comment that had nothing to do with what I said. We're not talking that you're not a texualist, we're talking female on period logic...

Stop abortion

stop gays

schools need religion

stop education

phase out school lunches

end the EPA

move retirement to 75

Every man for himself
In stead of hijacking this thread with your usual left wing talking points from HuffPo, why don't you start a new thread?

Why don't you. Here's your list of right wing "values". Notice you couldn't disagree with any.
This thread is about "Underlying Liberal Principles". Notice that you didn't post any.

Try to stay on topic.

This thread is about "Underlying Liberal Principles". Notice that you didn't post any.

Try to stay on topic.

He is, liberal and principles are an oxymoron. Mathematically you can say anything you want about an empty set

Last edited:

Try to stay on topic.

He is, liberal and principles are an oxymoron. Mathematically you can say anything you want about an empty set[/quote]True! Plus, rdean must've forgotten his Ritalin this morning, he can't seem to pay attention or stay on topic. Poor little kid.

Mad Scientist, the quotes of who said what are screwed up. It's my fault, I was cutting out some of the nesting and made a mistake. As soon as I posted it I realized that and fixed it but you had already quoted me.

Modern Liberalism = Progressive State Control and Collectivism, where the State is the Core of All Of Our Lives, and the Last Word on any Decision.

Modern Liberalism = Progressive State Control and Collectivism, where the State is the Core of All Of Our Lives, and the Last Word on any Decision.
Yes, as long as they don't read our e-mail, we are free...

Mad Scientist, the quotes of who said what are screwed up. It's my fault, I was cutting out some of the nesting and made a mistake. As soon as I posted it I realized that and fixed it but you had already quoted me.
No problem bro! And have you noticed that it's only the Conservatives who seem to know what the "Liberal Underlying Principles" really are? :lol:

Bullshit.

Modern Conservatism=Sexual and Economic Hysteria in the wake of Feminism and Civil Rights for Colored Folks that requires intervention by the State and the Altering of Our Very Constitution to Restrict Rights instead of Expanding Rights.

Everyone can play the bullshit game. Why is it so hard for this board to discuss the post instead of the poster?

You really think liberals are communists? Have they burned down any of your churches lately or whisked you off in the middle of the night for interrogation and the gulag? Seriously? Do you have Totalitarian state confused with Democratic state for some reason?

Sheesh.

Bullshit.

Modern Conservatism=Sexual and Economic Hysteria in the wake of Feminism and Civil Rights for Colored Folks that requires intervention by the State and the Altering of Our Very Constitution to Restrict Rights instead of Expanding Rights.

Everyone can play the bullshit game. Why is it so hard for this board to discuss the post instead of the poster?

You really think liberals are communists? Have they burned down any of your churches lately or whisked you off in the middle of the night for interrogation and the gulag? Seriously? Do you have Totalitarian state confused with Democratic state for some reason?

Sheesh.
While communists have done those things, the definition of Communism would actually be adherence to the principles of the Communist Manifesto. Read the planks of the Manifesto and that it is actually not only what the Democratic party stands for but for the same reasons and you will be very, very afraid. Far more then if they were burning churches.

Liberalism is about forcing people to behave in a way that they feel is best for us all. Key word "forcing".

Read the planks of the Democratic party. Why would you ascribe some hidden nefarious plot of world domination to Democratic party? Do you see a call for the abolition of private property?

Hell, even old Karl was conservative in his views of the lumpenproletariat. He would have hated welfare and gays, too.

Read the planks of the Democratic party. Why would you ascribe some hidden nefarious plot of world domination to Democratic party? Do you see a call for the abolition of private property?

Hell, even old Karl was conservative in his views of the lumpenproletariat. He would have hated welfare and gays, too.
I said the planks of the Communist manifesto and what the Democratic party stands for. You introduced the Democratic party planks. I never said they were honest enough to write it down.

As for abolition of private property rights, yes, absolutely they do stand for that. Do some research on the Supreme Court New London ruling that government can confiscate land for it's own interest and not public use. The Right opposed it as a clear violation of the Fifth Amendment and every liberal justice voted for it. Thank you for demonstrating my point that even when you got to pick a Manifesto Plank first, it supported my point. Private Property rights are in fact one of the most important rights of a free people. Think about it.

Forum List

Back