What are the underlying principles of Modern liberalism?

Underlying principle...

Find what's broke.........Fix it

Yes, and here's the process. They find something that's broke and propose a solution that's something they want to do but in no way leads to the desired result and attack anyone who opposes their solution as wanting what was broken to remain that way. So, the underlying of liberalism is really well intentioned, ill conceived...

I'm a self-described "liberal".

I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-DADT repeal.

I'm in favor of a simple, progressive tax system.
I'm in favor of expanding medicare, and social security.

I'm against all nanny-state, "healthy" laws. I smoke cigarettes, I drink.
I'm anti-prohibition. That applies to all drugs, prostitution, etc.
I'm against special interests controlling congress. I disagree with the Citizens United decision.

On Global Warming, I agree with EVERY SINGLE MAJOR SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZATION, and believe that climate change exists, and we're making it worse.

On most issues, I'll come down on the same side as the ACLU.

On some issues, I'll come down on the same side as the NRA.

On the Political Compass test, I'm in the mid left, far bottom.

I'm a liberal but like ALL liberals, we have disagreements because the Democratic Party is a "coalition".

These I agree with:

Not for expanding Social Security. Instead, I believe in "expanding success". First off, people who are able to earn 20 million should not be receiving SS checks. Also, people who never paid into the system should not be receiving checks. Now, if someone dies and they have a child or widow, that's another thing, but to give benefits to those who never contributed is wrong. The other is the raising the retirement age. We don't need to see 70 year old police, firemen and medics. Imagine a 70 year old trying to carry you. It's ridiculous. Right wingers always leave that out.

If people want to smoke and drink, fine, but I don't want to have to pay for it or smell it. But considering that emergency room care is free to anyone who wants to go but it costs the tax payers 10 to 100 times what health care could provide, I'm all for health care.

And for severe drunk driving and similar laws. My family should not be targets for people who are only "having fun".

I also believe in smaller government. If Republicans had their way, every pregnant woman in the US would be monitored to make sure she had that baby. For them, the military can never be "big enough". Liberals believe in "directed government". Directed towards safety and research. I also like a government that goes with "what works". We know education works. Research and science work. A healthy infrastructure "works". Sex education "works". Disease prevention "works".

Many times, the opposite of what Republicans stand for is what is good. Keep government OUT of our personal lives. Don't legislate human rights. Instead, support them.

So sick of Republicans comparing gays to dogs or criminals. It makes them look dirty.

I'm a liberal but like ALL liberals, we have disagreements because the Democratic Party is a "coalition".

These I agree with:

Not for expanding Social Security. Instead, I believe in "expanding success". First off, people who are able to earn 20 million should not be receiving SS checks. Also, people who never paid into the system should not be receiving checks. Now, if someone dies and they have a child or widow, that's another thing, but to give benefits to those who never contributed is wrong. The other is the raising the retirement age. We don't need to see 70 year old police, firemen and medics. Imagine a 70 year old trying to carry you. It's ridiculous. Right wingers always leave that out.

If people want to smoke and drink, fine, but I don't want to have to pay for it or smell it. But considering that emergency room care is free to anyone who wants to go but it costs the tax payers 10 to 100 times what health care could provide, I'm all for health care.

And for severe drunk driving and similar laws. My family should not be targets for people who are only "having fun".

I also believe in smaller government. If Republicans had their way, every pregnant woman in the US would be monitored to make sure she had that baby. For them, the military can never be "big enough". Liberals believe in "directed government". Directed towards safety and research. I also like a government that goes with "what works". We know education works. Research and science work. A healthy infrastructure "works". Sex education "works". Disease prevention "works".

Many times, the opposite of what Republicans stand for is what is good. Keep government OUT of our personal lives. Don't legislate human rights. Instead, support them.

So sick of Republicans comparing gays to dogs or criminals. It makes them look dirty.
Do you notice you said you were a liberal, but made it sound like you were about to explain your disagreements with the Democratic party, then every position you took was that of the Democratic party...

These I agree with:

Do you notice you said you were a liberal, but made it sound like you were about to explain your disagreements with the Democratic party, then every position you took was that of the Democratic party...

Probably fancies himself a "free-thinker" as he goosesteps along with the rest of the Progressives.

Underlying principle...

Yes, and here's the process. They find something that's broke and propose a solution that's something they want to do but in no way leads to the desired result and attack anyone who opposes their solution as wanting what was broken to remain that way. So, the underlying of liberalism is really well intentioned, ill conceived...

And there it is..

The lockstep mentality.

If it ain't broke..don't fix it..by gumption!:lol:

Underlying principle...

And there it is..

The lockstep mentality.

That's what you think I said??? Liberals, you are funny

Underlying principle...

Fix families? great job.
Fix the economy? great job.
Fix schools? great job.
Fix society? great job.
Cant fix stupid.

Civil Rights? Cons opposed it
Womens Rights? Cons Opposed it
Child Labor Laws? Cons opposed it
Gay Rights? Cons opposed it
Environmental protection? Cons opposed it

can't fix stupid

And there it is..

The lockstep mentality.

If left to conservatives..humans would still be cave dwellers picking through shit for food.

And that's not funny.

Underlying principle...

Fix families? great job.
Fix the economy? great job.
Fix schools? great job.
Fix society? great job.
Cant fix stupid.

Civil Rights? Cons opposed it
Womens Rights? Cons Opposed it
Child Labor Laws? Cons opposed it
Gay Rights? Cons opposed it
Environmental protection? Cons opposed it

can't fix stupid
Your a Con right?
Or maybe not.

We have seen your solutions , They're not.

Last edited:

These I agree with:

Probably fancies himself a "free-thinker" as he goosesteps along with the rest of the Progressives.

First, which one of those do you disagree with? You believe there should be 70 year old medics? Your leadership does.

Second, the Democratic Party is a coalition. It's public positions are a consensus. You don't see the Democratic Party Platform insisting gays should be felons and there should be jail time from a religious leader who presides at a gay marriage, like, oh, say, the State of Texas Republican Party Platform. Unless you agree with it that gays should be "felons". Well, do you?

Republicans, being 90% white and mostly Christian, simply don't understand what it means to belong to a "coalition". They do what they are told. Now, don't you have an abortion to stop? School lunches to phase out? An apology to make to some oil company?

And there it is..

The lockstep mentality.

If left to conservatives..humans would still be cave dwellers picking through shit for food.

And that's not funny.
Well, if you're the civilized one, why are you unable to read and respond to points that are made? I'm not referring to my posts but all the discussions you're in. Your posts are generally sarcastic comments like this that have nothing to do with the post you responded to. If your views were right, you would want to hold people to their statements and views. Rather you participate in every discussion while not advancing any because you don't grasp the discussion. I'm not saying this as an "insult." It's what you do. I seldom if ever see you actually address a post you're quoting.

And that's not funny.
Well, if you're the civilized one, why are you unable to read and respond to points that are made? I'm not referring to my posts but all the discussions you're in. Your posts are generally sarcastic comments like this that have nothing to do with the post you responded to. If your views were right, you would want to hold people to their statements and views. Rather you participate in every discussion while not advancing any because you don't grasp the discussion. I'm not saying this as an "insult." It's what you do. I seldom if ever see you actually address a post you're quoting.

I don't insult anyone personally unless they insult me. And if disagreement with views are an insult..yeah..I do that alot.

First, which one of those do you disagree with? You believe there should be 70 year old medics? Your leadership does.

Second, the Democratic Party is a coalition. It's public positions are a consensus. You don't see the Democratic Party Platform insisting gays should be felons and there should be jail time from a religious leader who presides at a gay marriage, like, oh, say, the State of Texas Republican Party Platform. Unless you agree with it that gays should be "felons". Well, do you?

Republicans, being 90% white and mostly Christian, simply don't understand what it means to belong to a "coalition". They do what they are told. Now, don't you have an abortion to stop? School lunches to phase out? An apology to make to some oil company?

See what I mean? Right wingers whine constantly. Instead of pointing out what they disagree with, they called names and make accusations. When challenged, they become strangely silent.

And that's not funny.

I don't insult anyone personally unless they insult me. And if disagreement with views are an insult..yeah..I do that alot.
:clap2:

I didn't say anything about you insulting people...thank you for demonstrating my point....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back